BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Grin
Grin
Fife,Scotland, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
B. Hunt, JM Ahumada, Michael nelson, [email protected], Bryan Holmes
10823 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 145
NickL 76
DavidP 69
reverb 55
Popular Topics(Views)
972,285 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,359
Posts677,164
Members10,823
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (AML), 462 guests, and 767 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Commando Mk lll lower head nuts #783924 09/10/19 5:52 pm
S
Samsmc1 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
I just ran into a situation that I don't understand. I hope someone can shed some light on this. I'm building a Mk lll engine from a pile of parts, therefore I didn't take it apart myself.
On installing the lower head nuts ( retrieved from a pile of 750 hardware), I'm finding that the box end Snap On and king Dick wrenches are not fitting the nuts as they screw further up the threads toward the head (OD of box end is interfering with the fins).
From what I can see, Norton used the same part numbers (old number to new number the same as listed in Mk lll book) for all their engines.
That said. I saw that Baxter shows a round nut with a smaller hex on it using the same parts number.
Did Norton change this nut at the end and maintain the same number or is Baxter selling an aftermarket part?
I'm not about to grind down good wrenches to make this work.
Did I miss something here?
Thanks
Sam

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Commando Mk lll lower head nuts [Re: Samsmc1] #783932 09/10/19 6:33 pm
L.A.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Samsmc1
On installing the lower head nuts ( retrieved from a pile of 750 hardware), I'm finding that the box end Snap On and king Dick wrenches are not fitting the nuts as they screw further up the threads toward the head (OD of box end is interfering with the fins).

From what I can see, Norton used the same part numbers (old number to new number the same as listed in Mk lll book) for all their engines.
That said. I saw that Baxter shows a round nut with a smaller hex on it using the same parts number.
Did Norton change this nut at the end and maintain the same number or is Baxter selling an aftermarket part?

Yes, the factory did reduce the hexagon size and change the design prior to the 850 Mk3 (which is probably why there's no superseded part number listed in the Mk3 parts book as it happened earlier) so the earlier large hexagon sleeve nuts probably do cause clearance problems if used with later '850' barrels as you have found.

https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-details/16029/cylinder-head-sleeve-nut-nm24260-nmt2034-

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor