BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Gunk
Gunk
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown
10860 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 172
reverb 64
DavidP 63
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,005,864 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,747
Posts679,979
Members10,860
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 285 guests, and 508 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #781794 08/17/19 11:07 pm
Kerry W Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Oooohhh...an action video would be good!

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Kerry W] #781823 08/18/19 5:49 am
Magnetoman Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Kerry W
Oooohhh...an action video would be good!
I don't have a GoPro, and between the throttle, clutch, front brake, choke, and magneto my hands are usually pretty busy when underway, but I'll see what I can do.

Meanwhile, with Mark II finished (for now, at least), I turned my attention back to Mark 0 (nb. that's an Arabic 0 because the Romans never figured out how to deal with nothing). Mark 0 was my original system, consisting of an Innovate LM-1 for the AFR coupled to an LMA-2 for throttle position and rpm.

The LM-1 is limited to capturing only 44 min. of data in its internal memory (vs. >500 hrs. on an SD card with the Mark II system). However, for most purposes the limitation of "only" 44 min. of data at a time isn't much of a limitation at all. From my experience, when the LM-1's display indicated the jetting was wrong I wanted to head back to base to change it right away. And even when it indicated it was fairly good there wasn't any point in capturing data for longer than that before heading back to base to change it to be even better.

So, why did I "need" the Mark II? Well, I like instrumentation and data so that certainly was a factor. But, as an example, I live in the desert where it can be 105 oF at my house but 75 oF at the top of a nearby mountain. Being able to record for a long time will let me determine the effects on the carburetion over a fairly wide range of conditions within the span of an afternoon.

Anyway, since for accurately determining the proper jetting the Mark 0 is WAY better than no system at all, rather than abandon it entirely I spent a few minutes today modifying its mount so it now fits on the same Manfrotto clamp as does the Mark II. I also painted it. This gives me two complete AFR systems so I could think of Mark 0 as a backup to Mark II, or use it to instrument a twin, or store it in a box since even the Mark II won't get used very often. I suspect the third possibility is most likely...

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #783448 09/04/19 5:42 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I was in the wilds of Ireland last week riding old motorbikes with my younger daughter (and 130 others) in the Irish Rally. A Catalina would be perfect for the back roads of Cork and Kerry that the routes took us along, although the G80CS I was on was a more than acceptable substitute. My daughter was on a pre-War Norton into which someone had shoe horned a 1000 cc side valve AJS V-twin, doing a good enough job with the installation and fake logos that it fooled more than one knowledgeable person ("I've never seen a Norton like that; what model is it?").

As an aside, Irish rain laughs in the face of Goretex. And, if you've already been soaked by the rain and think it couldn't get any wetter, riding into a low cloud obscuring the top of the mountain while it's also raining actually does make it wetter.

Anyway, back to AFR. A month or so ago the Innovate LMA-2 I was using prior to the subsequent upgrade abruptly died. Today I opened it up and the reason is quite apparent. Or, I should say, the symptom of the failure is quite apparent, since I don't know if the failure was due to the blown diode, or if the diode blew because of a failure somewhere else (such as in the Axicom relay to its left).

Attached Files NortonMatchless.jpgInnovate_burned01.jpgInnovate_burned02.jpg
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #783627 09/06/19 9:04 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I made a small addition to my data logging instrumentation today, in the form of a 6 ft. x 12 ft. enclosed trailer. Now I can easily load and haul my bikes to suitable locations out of town for jetting runs, download the data when back at the trailer, analyze it, make necessary changes using the tools and spares in the trailer, and repeat.

[Linked Image]

OK, the real reason I "needed" this trailer wasn't so much as an instrumentation accessory, but for such things as organizing mini-Cannonball rides with my friends. The bed of the pickup can hold two bikes (but little beyond that), and the trailer can hold three (although two would be optimum), so hauling two friends, three bikes, and a spare (a spare bike, not a spare friend) to some base hundreds of miles from here is now possible. If we took turns driving every third day means it could be a traveling road show rather than operating from a fixed base.

I've been cruising Craigslist off and on ever since the Cannonball a year ago, when every evening in the parking lot it was clear that having just such a trailer would have been much better than our U-Haul truck. I made notes then of how the various trailers were outfitted and had decided 6x12 was optimum for my purposes, although 6x10 (a bit too small) or 6x14 (unnecessarily long) would be acceptable. Although in in moments of desperation I considered horse trailers (which are in much greater abundance around here), which would have required quite a bit of modification to enclose, slow and steady wins the race and now the optimum 6x12 is in my driveway ready to be customized with tie down points, workbench, tool boxes, etc.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #787446 Yesterday at 11:15 PM
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Further data logging on the Catalina has been suspended for now. In preparation for a visit by NYBSAGUY next week I removed the instrumentation package from the Catalina and reinstalled its pipe and "silencer."[*] With a predicted high of 66 °F at the top of the nearby mountain next Tuesday this will be the first trip of the Catalina (motorcycle) into the Catalina (mountains). While I was at it I spent a few minutes straightening up the garage to fool him into thinking I maintain it to ISO 9000 standards (luckily, he's easily fooled).

Since octane is an issue, when I ran some errands later in the day I filled two 2-gal. containers with 91 octane that I then boosted to 97 for the Catalina and 101 for the Competition using Race Gas®. The Catalina (and BB) survived 1200 miles in Texas on the 93 available in that State, but since I need higher octane for the 10:1 piston in the Competition anyway I'd rather be safe than sorry with the Catalina so 97 (rather than 95) is my default level of steroids for it. Besides, the difference between turning 91 into 97 instead of 95 is "just" an additional 88 cents/gallon (on top of the $1.76/gallon needed to get it to 95). It's only money, right?...

On the trailer front, I moved it forward by about 10 ft. to place it closer to the welder for when it's time to fabricate the workbench. However, the real reason for moving it was so it wasn't blocking the Catalina' escape from the garage. Note to self: make sure the trailer doors can swing fully open before unhitching it and parking the truck so as not to have to do it all over again. Sigh... As of today I've started to think of TM's trailer hitch camera as more of a necessity than an option.

[*]For what it's worth, it took about 20 min. to get the Catalina back to road condition, so it probably would take twice that so to install the instrumentation package, including exhaust pipe with AFR sensor, on another Gold Star. Although it only would have taken a minute to remove it, I left the Bosch knock sensor mounted to the head because I'll be using it again, and it's completely out of the way there.

Last edited by Magnetoman; 6 hours ago. Reason: added [*]
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership