BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
headlamp
headlamp
the south
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider
10862 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 167
DavidP 69
reverb 61
NickL 53
Popular Topics(Views)
1,019,344 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,800
Posts680,417
Members10,862
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
49 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 423 guests, and 849 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783058 08/30/19 11:11 am
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Pretty small crowd. Hope you get some more people there.
Holidays can be a tough time to hold a race event. This year was the third time I raced New Jersey. Memorial Day weekend. Compared to the previous 2 non holiday races there, there were significantly fewer participants.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783059 08/30/19 11:59 am
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Kevin, I predict 139 mph, do not not disappoint,lol..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: Mike Baker] #783060 08/30/19 12:05 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i believe theyve had 40 registrants.

theres never very many. they limit it to 80 at tbe main event in july. it means you can run without long waits.

at ECTA in ohio i would run, and then get in line behind 150 people. id wait around two hours, pushing the machine up and working on it in the line.

at bonneville speed week you can wait from 0730 until 1530 to run one time, and thats it for the day.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: Hillbilly bike] #783061 08/30/19 12:18 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Kevin, I predict 139 mph, do not not disappoint,lol..

air density is 105 percent. ive seen 108 here before. 7 mph crosswind.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783099 08/30/19 11:22 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
more people showed up for friday:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and i got five runs today.

changed the plugs in the buell and went on out. RAD was about 105, temperature was 60.5 F, 3 mph tailwind that changed to a gusty crosswind as the day went on.

the firest run showed me immediately that the 30-tooth pulley was too big. the bike accelerated well but wouldn't pull to redline in 4th gear (there are five). so the first run i went through the lights in fourth at 123/126. then a back up run using the top gear gave me 128/129. not very good. so i went back to the pits and changed out the front pulley. it's super easy on this machine, because you don't have a clutch in the way

i have three-- a 26, 28, and the 30. so i took the 30 out and put the 28 in

the next two runs were an immediate improvement, at 130/132. so i said, well, maybe i can do a bit better, so i upped the man jet two sizes from 160 to 170.

127/128.

no dice. as usual, tony's tuning was spot on. so i put the leaner jet back in and set up for the morning. this event has been very slow for some reason. only 5 runs on days when i usually can get 10. but then again, i'm pretty laid back about this event. tomorrow we're supposed to have a tail wind, and i'll see what i can do with that before i take the muffler offand mess with the jetting again.

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783101 08/30/19 11:26 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
and kyle malenky showed up and did 136 on his altered unit 650:

beautiful bike, and fast. 131 in the mile i think, and then 136 in the mile point five.

he runs in a different class than i do, so my records still stand, but his machine is now the fastest non-boosted british 650 on gasoline.

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783102 08/30/19 11:32 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Speeds are interesting, The Buell has about 20 more HP that your race Triumph and a lot more torque...So it shows how much the air drag on an open frame bike is reduced by lowering, removing parts and riders position..
Is the engine below 6700 rpm?
The Buell should be a smoothie at 130 mph

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783103 08/30/19 11:32 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
and there's lots of other interesting things running

and british cycle supply is right there with whatever you need.

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: Hillbilly bike] #783107 08/31/19 12:54 am
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
Speeds are interesting, The Buell has about 20 more HP that your race Triumph and a lot more torque...So it shows how much the air drag on an open frame bike is reduced by lowering, removing parts and riders position..
Is the engine below 6700 rpm?
The Buell should be a smoothie at 130 mph

it's certainly air drag. the buell's stock bars put my elbows way out in the wind, and i can't get my head down. it sits right there more or less on top of the tank. plus the stock pegs are way forward for doing this stuff.

on the triumph my head is behind the triple tree, my elbows are right into my sides, and my feet are about 12 inches farther back. running the triumph over 130 mph is not tiring at all-- the riding position puts me in line with the wind. on the buell at the same speed i'm hanging on for dear life trying to get my arms in close to my body and banging my helmet into stuff trying to get it down to the side. plus that flat aluminum plate i sit on on the triumph is way more comfortable than the buell padded seat. my butt is beat to death on the buell after each run.

with the 28 tooth pulley i forgot to look at the tach to see where i was, and i haven't done the math to be able to calculate it on gear ratios and tire circumference. i'll watch the tach tomorrow in the morning. the rev limiter cuts in at an indicated 6900.

to make the buell faster, it needs clip ons to get my hands in, rear sets to put my feet way back, lowering, and then stripping stuff off like turn signals and headlights, and fender extensions, and so on. it could be done. i'm at 130/132 on a street-legal bike with lights and a license plate, and the records are only 133/135. this particular machine has the motor to be comepetitive. all it needs is some severe treatment in aerodynamics.

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783141 08/31/19 10:25 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I'm pretty sure there's a soft limiter that comes on at 6700 rpm...I used to sense it as a slight dip in the acceleration....The Jetting I chose for the HSR Mikuni was recomended by the Bad Weather Bikers" Buell website...but on the lean side..
I talked to my ride a few days ago and he is all for Bonneville next year, the later all bike met, not Speed Week...Of course that means he wants to ride a bike and have nothing to do with prep work,lol...

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783144 08/31/19 11:00 am
P
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
Thanks for the reports K. That Malinky bike is cool! And he didn't have to get it all salty. PRT

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783146 08/31/19 12:30 pm
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
The Malinkys are serious about building fast Triumphs and deserve the credit. I met them at "World of Speed" two years ago with Alp, of course. I believe that Kyle was having bachelor party at Speed Weeks this year, so I presume that is his new wife in your photo.

His brother Tyler crashed and broke his arm at Speed Weeks at something like 127 mph when he hit rutted up salt churned up by the cars and went into a speed wobble. As I looked at the run logs from Speed Weeks on the SCTA website, I noticed that very few vehicles actually got thru the 2nd mile.

I'm heading to "World of Speed" in September with both the APS-PG 600cc BSA and the M-PG 250cc Triumph. By-the-way, Kyle's new record is still not the fastest normally aspirated 650cc pushrod bike on gasoline, unless you don't count my partial streamliner - - just saying!

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: koncretekid] #783186 08/31/19 11:24 pm
P
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
Sometimes ya just gotta keep things straight! Best of luck out there OT!! PRT

PS Workin to get my junk back together and ready for some speed at next years meet.

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: koncretekid] #783188 09/01/19 1:01 am
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
Originally Posted by koncretekid

By-the-way, Kyle's new record is still not the fastest normally aspirated 650cc pushrod bike on gasoline, unless you don't count my partial streamliner - - just saying!

Tom

that thing of yours is faster than everybody. i still don't know where you get the horsepower to do that.

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783190 09/01/19 2:01 am
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
there weren't no tail wind. cross wind, hard, all day. sometimes a head wind.

i just could not get the buell to match the speeds from the day before. i put the 160 main jet back in the morning, and didn't go fast. all day i tried different jets, air filter on, air filter off, different riding positions, drained the fuel and tried a fresh can, took out the new plugs and put in newer plugs. unhooked the electric vacuum advance switch and plugged the manifold port. the bike went slower and slower, by the 11th run at the end of the day the machine would accelerate hard up to around 100 mph, then taper off at around 118. it will pull to redline happily in lower gears, and will do 6900 in fourth by about the mile, at 117 where yesterday it was doing 130. wouldn't pull to redline in top, stopped at about 5900.

it doesn't misfire, it has clean carburation. just does not have speed above 118 today. the petcocks appear to flow a lot of fuel. maybe there's a restriction in the fuel line to the carb. i didn't take it off to blow out. was going to check the timing to see whether it had slipped but ran out of time. some of the mile point five speeds are slower than the mile, which points to fuel.

went up to the starter at the end of the day and told her, this is my last run. took off, and then before the mile the bike faltered . . .

holy [***], i thought, i've fucked another motor. it died, then caught, and i throttled down and took the short exit and the bike died. oh no.

it would turn with the starter, but wouldn't run. then it began to catch, so i said at least there's some sort of ignition. but it would it just start and die.

then i looked down on the left, and saw that the ignition key had vibrated to the off position.

turned it on, and the bike fired right up. went to the line and the starter said, couldn't resist, huh?

so i did one more 117/118 and called it quits.

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783211 09/01/19 10:35 am
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
I'd go over the ignition system very carefully. Your symptoms sound exactly what happens when my batteries start to fail, but I run total loss so with insufficient amperage available, the motor can't pull high rpm under a load. Look at the coils or replace them if you have spares, look for a bad ground , especially the frame to the motor, look closely at the fuses and the fuse holder. If you can get it started, pull at each and every wired connection. In fact, try running new grounds and new ignition wire, even bypassing the switches (which you cannot legally do on the race course, but you can on the other runway).

As far as the fuel system goes, make sure that the gas tank vent is clear. You might have to remove the fuel valve from the tank, as that can get clogged. Of course, a compression check will eliminate the possibility of something more serious.

Yesterday I took a ride on my '69 T100S which I had rebuilt 20 years ago. I resurrected it and everything seemed up to snuff. Long story short, I got about 30 miles out and it seized. All the oil had been spewed over the back of the bike due to a loose hose on the rocker box feed line. But when I got the bike home, it turned over nicely. Checked the compression and it was low on the left side. I added one quart of oil and it barely showed on the dip stick.

But I had no ignition?? Turned out the original fuse holder in which I had put a 1/4" round piece of aluminum, and added a modern fuse at the battery, was only making intermittent connection. I could wiggle it and the lights would go on and off. Just to show how a bad connection can be frustrating.

Put the plugs back in and kicked it over with the ignition off till the idiot light went off indicating at least some oil pressure, turned the ignition back on and kicked it over and it started on the first kick (shut it off immediately). I'm still into a rebuild, but maybe not as serious as I thought.

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783212 09/01/19 10:43 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by kevin roberts

By-the-way, Kyle's new record is still not the fastest normally aspirated 650cc pushrod bike on gasoline, unless you don't count my partial streamliner - - just saying!

Tom

that thing of yours is faster than everybody. i still don't know where you get the horsepower to do that.

Some speed is in the fairing, has it been run with no fairing? ... You notice Kevin, Lowbow and mine are all clustered from 133-135....If all three lined up at the same time so weather conditions are not a factor...It might be even closer...or not...
I'm pleased that Kevin, especially because he rides the bike, and my self who both have just hillbilly mechanical skills and limited knowledge have gone this fast...

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: Hillbilly bike] #783213 09/01/19 11:53 am
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Without the fairing, 130 mph. It's not the hp, it's the aerodynamics. You guys have way more hp than I do!

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: koncretekid] #783220 09/01/19 2:48 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Without the fairing, 130 mph. It's not the hp, it's the aerodynamics. You guys have way more hp than I do!

Well, your engine makes impressive power for what it is...

As always the winds at Loring are a factor...You can start off the line with no wind and then catch a head or tail wind before the speed traps..But it's part of the game for all competitors.....

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: Hillbilly bike] #783243 09/01/19 11:41 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE

I'm pleased that Kevin, especially because he rides the bike, and my self who both have just hillbilly mechanical skills and limited knowledge have gone this fast...

lol

its so hillbilly where i live that the possums all play banjo

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783245 09/02/19 12:03 am
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
tom, i wonder if that loose ignition switch is making the ignition part-time?

there is no indication of anything wrong mechanically. its like it runs out of fuel or out of spark. not hard to check.

hard to test tho. i aint about to see if it will do 132 again on my two-lanes.

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783283 09/02/19 3:44 pm
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Kevin,
I didn't mention it, but even fuses are known to work part time even though cracked. So replace or bypass that as well.
Tom

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783288 09/02/19 4:17 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Bent over the fuel tank at 120 mph with the roar from the wind, engine noise and your heart pumping it's not always easy to feel a steady misfire....Oh, the Buell used to have a random misfire issue at low speeds when I first got it... I traced it to the side stand safety electrical switch...I bypassed it...Maybe it has come loose..I also believe the clutch lever interlock is bypassed....And check the coil primary wires..The gov;t didn't want riders starting the bike without the clutch pulled or riding off with the side stand down...

Re: loring, maine 2019 [Re: kevin roberts] #783314 09/02/19 10:08 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i have an MPS kill switch wired into the coil primary feed. i put dialectric grease into it at some point in the event because it was raining, but cant remember when. i don't like the idea of interrupting the hot wire with a switch, but the kills on the buell and the kawasaki all run all the primary current to the coils through their contacts anyway.

i'm finally home-- 780 miles yesterday, and 390 today. listening to the coyotes singing at the moment.

i'll go over all the electrics in the next few days with a meter as well. i'm certain it's something simple-- if i was wearing something out, it would have slowed down over successive runs. but friday it was fast, and saturday it was slow.

go figure.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership