BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
ShearedCrank
ShearedCrank
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
B. Hunt, JM Ahumada, Michael nelson, [email protected], Bryan Holmes
10823 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 145
NickL 76
DavidP 69
reverb 55
Popular Topics(Views)
972,285 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,359
Posts677,164
Members10,823
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (AML), 448 guests, and 757 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Clutch plate thickness? #783252 09/02/19 5:06 am
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Clutch was slipping last ride. I got a new thrust bearing, pull rod, and seals.
No real sign of oil contamination, but the plate linings look a bit thin. Total thickness is 0.225", each lining is about 0.03" above the rivets. I can't find a spec for minimum thickness in the manual, but if this were a brake lining I'd be replacing it.
Does anyone have a spec for this?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783265 09/02/19 10:39 am
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
manual isn't much help, says :

Minimum wear of friction plate......0.06" (1.524mm)

And no further mention of the friction plate.

Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783289 09/02/19 4:39 pm
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks,
I'm guessing that's 0.06" proud of the rivets. Someone on TOL says that total thickness should be 0.26".
This plate is toast.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783301 09/02/19 6:52 pm
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
Ask on triplesonline about a thickness of the plate, stock thickness is too thin and clutch too heavy because of this.
I have thicker plate and clutch ( with featherlight cable ) is pretty light.

Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783326 09/03/19 2:00 am
B
Bodie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Go back to Triples on line & check out one of the site sponsors "Triples Unlimited" - Top right hand side of the home page .

They sell the thicker 7.6mm friction plate your searching for,

I've got a couple of triples on the road - one is running on the thicker plate & one is running the thinner stock plate , But i'll be buggered if I could really pick any difference between the two of them ???? , They're both good clutches ; easy to pull & neither of them slip or do anything different to the other one , Personally i reckon one of the best moves you can actually make while your pulling things apart is to swap out the original clutch pressure plate bearing for an Angular contact bearing , Don't forget to use a plastic drinking straw or wrap over the pull rod threads with electrical tape before fitting the oil seal - saves ripping up the sealing lip .

Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783333 09/03/19 4:04 am
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks, but I already ordered a Surflex plate.
Removed the housing today and cleaned it up. Of course, the previous 'mechanic' had installed the oil seal backwards!
This keeps getting more expensive. The teeth are hooked, so I need to find a front sprocket for an early five speed.
While I'm there I'm doing the Jack Wilson mod to the actuating mechanism. It really does increase lift.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783337 09/03/19 5:42 am
B
Bodie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Jack Wilson mod ? , If your looking for a simple mod that works without increasing any extra unnecessary strain on the pull rod getting it to lift & release squarely within the designed limits has to be high on the list , If you can ignore the extremely bad taste in background music sick Follow what this guy says about the paper release method , I greatly improved my clutch release without any machining just by jiggling & rotating the spring and pressure plate around and fitting into different positions . Also reducing the runout by finding the best fitting position of the clutch to gearbox mainshaft spline is worth checking as well , I marked my one with a centre punch mark just for future reference .

Just as a footnote ! .. when you disassemble the actual clutch drum take note of any small centre punch marks on or around the pressure plate fingers & drum outer .. They're not easily noticeable but the few clutches I've ever pulled apart have had these - i'm just presuming they're factory markings showing the original alignment of parts ,

Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783340 09/03/19 6:26 am
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Yes, I have that YouTube video up on another browser tab. I'll be following that when I assemble the clutch. I made my own center-punch marks before I took it apart to keep the balance. I will definitely try different locations on the hub and check runout.
The mod consists of grinding off the stop in the outer case, removing the ramps from the case, grinding another notch about 5 degrees anticlockwise from the original and reinstalling the ramps. This locates the arm lower in the case and pulls through 3 O clock instead of starting there. Can't really say if it increases lift, but it makes it a whole lot easier to get clearance behind the nut and still have a working clutch.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783349 09/03/19 11:25 am
B
Bodie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
I'm aware of that mod but I didn't know someone had actually claimed it as theirs,

You miss my point about looking out for the original centre punch marks, There might have been a dozen previous owners digging around in there before you mixing up the order of parts at reassembly ?, You never know - the clutch might work smoother and not need that extra lift & resulting strain on the pull rod if the originally matched parts were paired back together again,

Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783384 09/04/19 12:21 am
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Jack Wilson was head mechanic at Big D Cycle in Texas and worked on their Trident based LSR machines.
I had the pleasure of meeting Jack at the Georgia TIOC rally in the late 80s. He and John Healy co-hosted the tech session There he explained the procedure. It was also later written up in Triple Echo. I presume that he invented it.

I will inspect the parts to see if there are any other punch marks, though there was no indication of being out of balance when running.
It is obvious that the clutch was out at some time, The heads of a couple of the screws which hold the housing on are buggered up from the wrong screwdriver. However, judging from the condition of the tab washers, I don't think they disassembled the clutch.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783575 09/06/19 4:01 am
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I got the new plate in today's post. Total thickness 0.265".

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: Bodie] #783944 09/11/19 12:02 am
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Bodie
Follow what this guy says about the paper release method , I greatly improved my clutch release without any machining just by jiggling & rotating the spring and pressure plate around and fitting into different positions . Also reducing the runout by finding the best fitting position of the clutch to gearbox mainshaft spline is worth checking as well , I marked my one with a centre punch mark just for future reference .

I must have got lucky. All the paper strips came out at the same point. I couldn't manage to keep the gauge in the same place, so I'm not sure how much lift it took.
I just spent an hour trying out different spline positions. Best runout I could get was about 10 thou, worst was about 14. Not extremely accurate though, $50 gauge and definitely not a granite testing table. Also not sure how accurate this test can be without being able to reach full torque spec on the nut.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #783962 09/11/19 7:11 am
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I guess its relative...if its ok with spanner tight then its ok when torqued up???

Re: Clutch plate thickness? [Re: DavidP] #784022 09/12/19 4:45 am
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Too many variables for me. How many different positions on the clutch hub do we try?
We're getting close to BSA land here. Hire an expert machinist and blueprint everything, charge twice as much and built a perfect machine. Or as close as the design allows.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor