BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
ShearedCrank
ShearedCrank
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
B. Hunt, JM Ahumada, Michael nelson, [email protected], Bryan Holmes
10823 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 145
NickL 76
DavidP 69
reverb 55
Popular Topics(Views)
972,285 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,359
Posts677,164
Members10,823
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (AML), 446 guests, and 759 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
T10 GP2 Jet Block removal #783240 09/01/19 10:32 pm
C
Cali Kid Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
I am about to rebuild the AMAL T10 GP2 carbs that came with my 1966 Spitfire. I have all the replacement parts and gaskets in hand. But I would like to make sure I understand the right way to remove the jet block so I can put the new gasket under it. I have the carb all apart and have removed all screws from the body. It looks like I could tap the bottom of the jet block with some thin dowels through the two screw holes on the bottom of the carb body. I tried this approach with some light tapping, but the jet blocks didn't budge. I didn't want to pound any harder in fear of breaking something. I read a thread for monoblocks where folks had heated up their carb in order to get the jet block out. Not sure if that's what is needed here or not. Any guidance in helping me understand the right way to get the jet blocks out is appreciated.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: T10 GP2 Jet Block removal [Re: Cali Kid] #783264 09/02/19 10:27 am
B
Blueboy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
I did this recently by warming the body with a hot air gun and then tapping a rod through the screw holes underneath bit by bit and alternating the hole.
The block is a very tight fit so care is needed to keep it moving squarely, and I ended up with slight damage to the threads, which was easily fixed by running a tap down them(2BA I think they were).
If I was doing it again I think I would make up some long shouldered screws and use them to drift it out.
Just a bit of advice.....it is not easy to get the block back in and aligned perfectly with the Venturi as there is no location peg or screw as on a Monobloc ...compounded by the tight fit of the two parts, I spent a lot of time on mine and I still don’t think it’s as well aligned as it was before I started......and I only had one to do!

Re: T10 GP2 Jet Block removal [Re: Blueboy] #783394 09/04/19 1:36 am
C
Cali Kid Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
Thanks Blueboy. I'm glad to hear I was on the right track. Did you try any 3-in-1 oil or similar lubricant too or just the heat? I like the idea of the long shouldered screws to drift them out. If I can't find any I'll try a wood or plastic dowel to tap them out.

Re: T10 GP2 Jet Block removal [Re: Cali Kid] #783685 09/07/19 3:19 pm
C
Cali Kid Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
I have successfully removed the two jet blocks by putting the carbs on my BBQ grill at ~90 C (200 F) for 5 mins with lid down. I used a bamboo chopstick narrowed down to fit into the jet block bolt holes. Then just did the same process as Blueboy recommend (tapping alternately between holes until out. Note I did put some 3-in-1 oil around the edge of the jet block post heating. This seemed help a bit. Now on to cleaning and reassembly.

Oh it looks like the jet-block gaskets may have been originally secured on with some kink of adhesive. Not sure but it looks that way. Could just be 53 years of dirt I suppose. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Last edited by Cali Kid; 09/07/19 3:22 pm.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor