BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Jamie-69TR6R
Jamie-69TR6R
Beachwood, New Jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering
10861 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 168
DavidP 68
reverb 64
NickL 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,014,939 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,781
Posts680,253
Members10,861
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
71 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 542 guests, and 865 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Running once more #782764 08/27/19 3:59 pm
Chip205 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
My '61 Clubman's Gold Star has been sitting for about 10 years. I finally did what I've been promising for years and got it going. New tires to start and a general going over. It started 3rd kick! Rode it around the block a couple of times. The full width front brake still doesn't work -- it does only have 30 miles on it so I suppose it might bed in and start. And the ignition advance is frozen. It's not the cable so I need to find some instruction on how to address that. A brief history of the bike: My Dad bought in the '70's from a fellow who brought several bikes over from the UK. He had a bad accident (more for him than the bike) shortly after purchase. We fixed it, put standard bars on and lowered the gearing at the crankshaft to make it liveable for street riding with the RRT2 gearbox. I rode it a fair bit but it became increasing hard to start and it went into the basement for 20 yrs or so. Dad and I met a fellow named Don Bradley at the Daytona vintage races who offered to restore it. He worked on it for a few years and returned it not completed. We then had it finished at Locust Grove Restorations. I rode it once or twice since it was finished but work (limited time to ride meant modern bikes were easier to get out on) and living just outside Phila. (heavy traffic and 1961 brakes) discouraged my from riding it.

I'm looking forward to getting the last bit done and trailering out to a rural area to give it a good ride. Then I'll have to decide whether I'm the best custodian for this piece of history.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/EkHtvKA[/img]

Last edited by Chip205; 08/27/19 4:05 pm.

Chip205. '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Daytona 675 R, '13 Duke 690, '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple 765 RS
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Running once more [Re: Chip205] #782771 08/27/19 5:22 pm
Chip205 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
And in the time it took to post the above, search the net for 'stuck ignition advance' and order a service manual (I had one somewhere), it freed itself.

Chip205. '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Daytona 675 R, '13 Duke 690, '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple 765 RS
Re: Running once more [Re: Chip205] #782847 08/28/19 7:33 am
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Some of you favourite penetrant a little heat and a gentle tap with a brass drift will have it freed up.
The casting is zinc the cam is steel and the zinc oxadizes over time .
The oxide is quite thick & prevents the cam from turning in the slot.

The magic word is not abbrakadra , it is patience.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Running once more [Re: BSA_WM20] #782856 08/28/19 10:43 am
Chip205 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Some of you favourite penetrant a little heat and a gentle tap with a brass drift will have it freed up.
The casting is zinc the cam is steel and the zinc oxadizes over time .
The oxide is quite thick & prevents the cam from turning in the slot.

The magic word is not abbrakadra , it is patience.

Thank you.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership