BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
ShearedCrank
ShearedCrank
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
B. Hunt, JM Ahumada, Michael nelson, [email protected], Bryan Holmes
10823 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 145
NickL 76
DavidP 69
reverb 55
Popular Topics(Views)
972,285 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,359
Posts677,164
Members10,823
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (AML), 449 guests, and 758 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Removing oil pump? #782628 08/26/19 3:52 am
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I'll be doing the clutch as soon as parts arrive and I'd like to check the oil pump while I'm at it, at least replace O-rings and gasket.
I never could manage to get the pump out of my '74, but I didn't try that hard. How do y'all get the pump out?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Removing oil pump? [Re: DavidP] #782646 08/26/19 7:41 am
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I just pulled and wiggled it and it came out. Others have used the two longer bolts in the shorter holes and this has helped push it forward, but I seem to remember somebody saying this was not a good way to do it, can't remember why??? Maybe I'm dreaming. But get that o ring setup out first if you can.

Re: Removing oil pump? [Re: DavidP] #782651 08/26/19 9:44 am
B
Bodie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
confused That's what happens when you eat cheese just before bedtime grin

Yeah I've heard similar stories, But the longer screws are 2BA and the 2 shorter screws that hold the actual pump body together are 3BA so how does that work ?

Just remove the 4 longer 2BA screws and leave the oil pump drive gear bolted in place , You can then use it to just pull and gently lever the pump body out of the hole , Just hope and pray the previous owner didn't use any sealant on the oil pump gasket .. "fit the new one dry" .

… While on this subject ; I think I've got one of those engines that a previous owner must have had trouble getting the oil pump out at some stage stripped down on my work bench .. It still had the backing plate from an older pump still stuck in place and someone had just fitted another 'whole' new pump in place over the top of it .. Crazy stuff !! .. I bought it as a non runner but i'm guessing it must have run like that at some stage because that's how I found it when i stripped the engine .

Re: Removing oil pump? [Re: DavidP] #782694 08/26/19 10:50 pm
S
Steven A Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
There is no reason to remove the big gear wheel unless you are rebuilding the pump. Take out the the screws that hold the pump in. Don't undo the two screws that hold the pump together.

Get a couple of big screw drivers behind the gear wheel and gently lever it out. It will come easily with only the gasket adhesion holding it in.

Install the pump after refitting the inner primary. That way you wont mash your nice new O rings.

Re: Removing oil pump? [Re: DavidP] #782709 08/27/19 1:07 am
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I always put a chamfer on the front of the oil pump so the o rings don't pick up. But I install the oil pump first, then the inner cover.

Last edited by tridentt150v; 08/27/19 1:07 am.
Re: Removing oil pump? [Re: DavidP] #783299 09/02/19 6:29 pm
T
Tigernuts Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
T
Steven A's method is what I was advised when I asked this question (I think it was on the TR3OC forum?). My oil pump was well and truly stuck, but re-fitting the drive gear and using very careful leverage (combined with penetrating oil left to soak into the joint for days) did the trick nicely. Sometimes, these pumps can be very tight, especially if the engine has sat idle for many years.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Re: Removing oil pump? [Re: DavidP] #783341 09/03/19 7:34 am
DavidP Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Put the gear back on after removing the inner case. Light levering behind the gear and it came out.
Thanks!

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor