BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
ShearedCrank
ShearedCrank
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
B. Hunt, JM Ahumada, Michael nelson, [email protected], Bryan Holmes
10823 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 145
NickL 76
DavidP 69
reverb 55
Popular Topics(Views)
972,285 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,359
Posts677,164
Members10,823
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
64 registered members (AML), 451 guests, and 758 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil gushing.... #782178 08/21/19 10:35 pm
Tiger Dale Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Out of the center bottom of my '67 A65L in the vicinity of the cam breather disc at least a cup or 2. Then after it appeared to fix itself about 1/4 cup belched out. hoping it is a weak pump spring or stuck ball not the disc itself. Like it wet sumped then puked. Anything else I should consider? Don't really want to split the cases for a disc replacement but I will if necessary.

TIA

TD

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Oil gushing.... [Re: Tiger Dale] #782183 08/21/19 11:37 pm
htown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I'm kind of thinking out loud. When I assemble an engine I test the operation of the disk by blowing into the breather hose while rotating the cam. You can tell when it opens and closes. You might try using a mitey vac on the end to the hose and then rotating the engine. I would think different vacuum readings would tell you when the valve opens and closes.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Re: Oil gushing.... [Re: Tiger Dale] #782185 08/21/19 11:55 pm
M
MarcB Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
M
How much time between the "fixed itself" and "1/4 belched out"?

Do you have a plug on your sump plate? The SRM plate is a good investment as you gain both a better plate and a drain plug. You could try letting the bike site awhile, drain the sump and see how much comes out. If it's a wet sump issue I don't know how much would be required to barf out the breather.

Re: Oil gushing.... [Re: Tiger Dale] #782187 08/22/19 12:45 am
htown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The other thing to check is whether the check ball is free in the pickup tube. Drop the sump plate and try pushing the ball up. A good dose of carb cleaner won't hurt it. I had one stick and it filled the sump because it wasn't being pumped back to the tank.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Re: Oil gushing.... [Re: htown] #783176 08/31/19 9:23 pm
Tiger Dale Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by htown
The other thing to check is whether the check ball is free in the pickup tube. Drop the sump plate and try pushing the ball up. A good dose of carb cleaner won't hurt it. I had one stick and it filled the sump because it wasn't being pumped back to the tank.

Spot on Htown!! Ball was definitely stuck up the tube. Took quite liberal spraying with carb cleaner to unstick. Also, not sure if related, the OPRV spring was a little sacked. Opened it up to the spec in the book (0.609")
Haven't had a chance to test it yet as I'm dealing with a few other minor issues. As long as there's a good return stream I assume everything is okay?

TD

Re: Oil gushing.... [Re: Tiger Dale] #783187 09/01/19 12:06 am
KC in S.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
".... A good return stream." usually the return looking in the tank is not a steady stream, but will spit and flow as the sump is emptied. The return side of the oil pump is usually designed to have a bit more volume, that keeps it ahead of the game! So don't be too concerned with some spitting action when you see it, probably a good thing.
Assuming you have had this bike for awhile, it's normal to learn the period of sitting and how much sump to expect. Of course the simple check the tank dip stick will tell you if the oil is someplace other than in the tank. If it's not on the floor, then it's likely filling the sump. When mine gets really sumped, it starts leaking out of the case in bizarre places! The plug to the sump plate is a convenient thing to have, at least as convenient as draining the sump can ever be....... .

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 09/01/19 12:07 am.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH on the way to Japan!

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor