BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Jeff Covert
Jeff Covert
Benton, AR USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Carl Courson, Roddy Walsh, Mark Creighton, Alex Lynch, B Mac
10777 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 129
NickL 62
DavidP 56
MarcB 52
Popular Topics(Views)
949,843 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,516
Posts675,799
Members10,777
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 404 guests, and 725 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #780478 08/03/19 11:22 pm
Magnetoman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by linker48x
the latest iteration of Cycle World, which is now a sort of lifestyle mag thick on art photos and only somewhat about motorcycles.
The Contents page of issue 3 of 2019 has four articles credited to four authors. Not counting ads, those articles cover 29 pages, while uncredited Kevin Cameron wrote articles that cover 16 pages. That is, although Kevin gets no credit on the Contents page, he is 20% of the actual authors but is responsible for 36% of the content. I hope he is being rewarded handsomely because he's been carrying the editorial content of that magazine on his back for quite some time.

Suzuki has a 2-page ad at the front of the latest issue, Royal Enfield has a 2-page ad in the middle, and there's 1 page each from Indian, KTM, Moto Guzzi, Husqvarna, and Harley-Davidson. All the other manufacturers are MIA (i.e. BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph, Yamaha, ...). The situation with the now-defunct sister publication Motorcyclist was even worse, so it's not as if hordes of additional advertisers have been cut loose to move to Cycle World.

Britbike caters to the small sub-set of those motorcyclists who are interested in motorcycles that haven't been made for 40+ years. And, even then, only a sub-set of that sub-set have found this site. Despite this, my thread on the little known 1957 Spitfire has had over 700k views, and the restoration of a 1928 Ariel will hit 500k views within a few days, i.e. ~25k/month in recent months even though I haven't added new content for at least 6 months. Cycle World had a total circulation of 129k per issue last year.[*] There were just 5 issues so that's only ~2x more than the views during the same interval of a thread about an obscure motorcycle on a specialized site. Since in 2019 the eyes are looking at the internet, not at paper, is it any wonder that advertising dollars have followed the eyes to the internet?

What this means it that either most manufacturers no longer have ad budgets, or they've found it more cost-effective to spend that money somewhere other than magazines. The old model for magazines was for them to live on ad revenue, not subscriptions, so unless a new model starts working soon things don't look good for a continued paper version of Cycle World.

[*] Twenty years earlier the circulation was 2.5x higher at 318k and each issue was packed with ads from outside as well as inside the industry.

Last edited by Magnetoman; 08/04/19 5:12 pm. Reason: added [*]
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #780889 08/08/19 6:04 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Right you are!
I look forward to every issue of Vintage Bike, and pay what it takes to get it.
But, I do miss the Norton ads from the '70s. I used to have them plastered all over my bedroom. laugh

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #780912 08/08/19 1:02 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
Hot babes and hot bikes.

A good-looking babe on the pillion of your bike always makes the rider look good, too.

Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #780914 08/08/19 1:26 pm
RPM Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The latest Cycle World has a nice article about Rob Tuluie. The only person I know that is smarter than Magneto Man. Rob was amazing to work with and an incredible motorcycle rider.

Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #780921 08/08/19 2:44 pm
Magnetoman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by RPM
The latest Cycle World has a nice article about Rob Tuluie.
After his Ph.D. in physics Rob started the uphill climb into academia but sometime during his first postdoc decided instead to take the path of motor vehicles. Philip Tooth, former editor of Classic Bike and current writer of many magazine articles, had a similar career path, diverting to motorcycles soon after a Ph.D. in the biological sciences. I didn't realize reasonable people were supposed to pick one path or the other, so I picked both...

Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #781006 08/09/19 12:45 pm
N
NYBSAGUY Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N

Among the many others who have abandoned the sciences to go down another path, let's also remember Brian May, who gave up a promising career as a physicist, to start a band, Queen. They played Madison Sq Garden this week.

May is now a big promoter of science education, both in Britain and elsewhere.

And James Cameron, who dabbled with physics before becoming a film-maker.

I'm sure there are many more.

1949 BSA ZB34 'Bitsa'
1959 BSA DBD34 Catalina
1973 Norton Commando 850 R
1974 Norton Commando 850 R (I know, one too many)
1975 Honda TL250 Trials, a new addition to the family
1998 Montesa HRC Trials
2004 Ducati M1000ie
Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: NYBSAGUY] #781020 08/09/19 4:08 pm
Magnetoman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
I'm sure there are many more.
Although May dropped out of graduate school when Queen started to hit it big, he returned to the fold 30+ years later to complete his Ph.D. Mike Judge got his B.S. in physics and went on to graduate school, but dropped out when his initial 'Beavis and Butt-Head' video sold. Elon Musk also has a B.S. in physics and also dropped out of graduate school. Angela Merkel didn't drop out, receiving her Ph.D. in chemistry before moving into politics a few years later after the Berlin Wall fell. Kim Jong-Un also has an undergraduate degree in physics, which I'm sure was awarded because he was by far the most outstanding student that any of his professors ever taught, but pursued other opportunities rather than going on to graduate school.

Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #781045 08/09/19 10:31 pm
Magnetoman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
The latest (July) issue of 'Classic Bike' arrived yesterday and it's interesting to compare its contents with that of the latest 'Cycle World'. It has 162 pages vs. only 98 and is chock full of large and small ads. One ad in particular caught my eye because it simultaneously targets the magazine's readership with disturbing accuracy, while also pointing out why publishers face a long-term problem with circulation.

[Linked Image]

Related to this, today's New York Times has an article about the new Harley-Davidson LiveWire electric motorcycle. The article says total motorcycle sales in the U.S. peaked at 1.1M in 2006 and are now down to only 500k. It quotes a dealer as saying "The millennials are getting in too slow, and the baby boomers are leaving too fast." I don't think he was referring to the speed of the above motorcycle.

Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #781046 08/09/19 10:41 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
As I made much of my living hauling goods in pick-up trucks and Chevy Suburbans, I wish to have my casket hauled to the cemetery in one, preferably a pick-up.

If it was good enough for my "dead" motorcycles, it's good enough for me.

Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #781049 08/09/19 10:53 pm
H
Hugh Jorgen Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
H
I have instructed my wife to leave my body in the nearest ditch, in which case I will be buried at state expense.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

1970 T120R
Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #781275 08/12/19 12:08 pm
tridentt150v Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I think the biggest killer is the cost of magazines these days...I go into the newsagents and skim read looking to see if there is anything worth actually reading and also worth the $12 to $15 we generally have to pay. And I have to say paying that for one or two articles in a magazine with say 10-15 topics is also enough to make me think long and hard before buying. There very rarely is anything that I think deserves my attention and I go to the news stands less and less because of it. But to sit at home and skim read the forums [I go to several] costs almost nothing, is immediate, and I only read ones I am interested in and actually get to reply and add my point as well. So for me the internet wins.
The other thing that jaded me to magazines is their 'cash for comments' attitude. Reviews and articles sound more like advertisements, nil criticism, no opinions on failures or such, and if they have to pick on a motorcycles problems they usually talk about the position of the ashtray or something stupid. And finally...the writers all seem fixated on the fastest sportiest lay over the tank, crank into the corner Tupperware torpedo with a plank for a seat....this doesn't interest me. So in essence they are the co creators of their own doom IMO, I doubt I will miss them.

BTW if anyone tells me that I have put on weight, I reply that maybe so but I can burn it off easily in around 60 seconds. When they look strangely at me wondering I add 'when I'm cremated'.

Re: Motorcycle magazines -- another one bites the dust [Re: Magnetoman] #781372 08/13/19 12:48 pm
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
The latest/last issue of Motorcyclist arrived yesterday...

Saw that issue too...bummed. Well now, what can a poor boy do 'cept to sing for a rock n' roll band? (apologies to the Glimmer Twins)

I do a substantial bit of reading online, but when it comes to books and periodicals, nothing beats holding actual cellulose molecules in my hands...nothing stays the same except change.

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership