BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Tiger Dale
Tiger Dale
Waldorf, Maryland
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis, Boggie
10936 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 59
quinten 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,060,187 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,210
Posts684,502
Members10,936
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Alan_nc), 355 guests, and 831 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
'71 Lightning wiring routes #780461 08/03/19 8:32 pm
S
Scott56 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
I'm working on a '71 Lightning. Someone completely botched the wiring, ripped out the stock wiring harness and mickey-moused it so it would run but nothing else worked. I bought new main and headlight harnesses from Feked, but can't find any photos online of what a correctly installed harness should look like. I'm starting at the headlight, my question is this - is the entire headlight harness intended to end up in the headlight, except the wires to the front brake and oil pressure switches? I thought all the wiring from the handlebar switches would connect in there, but it seems kinda crowded for that. Or do the handlebar leads and connections to the main harness take place outside the headlight? Anyone got a pic?

Any help appreciated.

Scott in Maine
1960 A7, future project
Trying to get a friend's A65 running.....
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #780482 08/03/19 11:59 pm
gavin eisler Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The bar switches join the main loom behind the headstock under the main tube.
The headlamp bucket has two holes for wiring , i pass the instrument light wires through the upper hole.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: gavin eisler] #780495 08/04/19 4:07 am
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
HandleBar wires . [Linked Image]

Headlight harness . [Linked Image]

Pics and write up snagged from ; https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/bsaoc_forum/index.php?topic=3177.0

Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #780506 08/04/19 8:03 am
B
BSA_WM20 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B

Not only does the insulation pull back from the terminal exposing bare wire but the tubes ( females ) crack and the PVC outer sheath shrinkf from the heat so it is impossible to remove a wire without stripping the bullets off the wires.
If you look at the preliminary design drawings there was a B50 style electrics box included which was obviously deleted in production thus you end up withtat unholey mess.
Apart from that the colours fade so you have no idea which light coloured wires go where.
Then you get lots of oil fume ( from the breather ) so they get hot, & oily .
If you are going to keep it stock, get a fat push bike inner tube or a 125 motorcycle tube and slide all of the wires into it then tie off the ends.
Don't forget liberal amounts of contact grease to the terminals before assembly.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 08/04/19 8:04 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #780514 08/04/19 10:34 am
S
Scott56 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Thank you! Very helpful, now I can press on....

Scott in Maine
1960 A7, future project
Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #781773 08/17/19 8:41 pm
S
Scott56 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
So, I have the wiring harness complete, but I have some issues. I hooked up the battery to check lights, horn, turn signals, etc., and I have none of them. The oil pressure light comes on and the tail-light comes on. The oil pressure light dims when I turn the ignition switch to the second position to turn on the lights, but no action. It also makes some faint buzzing noise in the vicinity of the battery, zener diode or rectifier? Flasher box?

I took the left-hand handlebar switch apart, and there's continuity (like 2 ohms resistance) between the white at the ignition switch and the white at the handlebar switch. This is power to the switch, right? There's also continuity for the three light wires (UW, UR and U) between the switch and the connections in the headlight, so the loom connections are good. Same with purple for the horn. But curiously, inside the handlebar switch, there's no continuity (or lousy, like 50 ohms) between the white wire and the three light wires no matter what position the high/low beam switch or the ignition switch is in. Am I looking in the wrong place for a problem?

I pulled the entire wiring harness off and installed the main and headlight harness and a new ignition switch from Feked. So the only original wires left are from these handlebar switches. Any help appreciated...

Scott in Maine
1960 A7, future project
Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #781820 08/18/19 3:42 am
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
Pull the white wire to the flasher and see what happens.

Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #781825 08/18/19 7:54 am
Allan Gill Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
The wires for the lights will come from the main switch, not the white/white and yellow wires.

2 ohms is also quite poor is measured across the switch, assuming you have zero ohms when the 2 probes of the multimeter are touched.

beerchug
Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #782015 08/20/19 5:03 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The white wire to the RH bar switch only supplies the horn and main-beam flash push buttons. The 'hot' lead for the lights is blue. Make sure that the rotating switch in the headlight shell is on. You say that the tail light is on, so you have voltage at the Brown/green wire. The switch in the shell connects the brown/green to the blue for the headlight.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #782035 08/20/19 1:21 pm
S
Scott56 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Quinten - the flasher is bad, when I pulled the white wire the buzzing went away and I got the tail-light to work.

Allan Gill - the white wire goes to both handlebar switches, the oil pressure switch and light and through the front brake switch back to the stoplight, originating from the ignition switch. I assumed this white wire was hot to all these things powered through the handlebar switches when the key is in the second position (lights on, running). When you say 'main switch', are you talking about the switch on the headlight? I thought that just turned on and off the pilot light.

DavidP - hmm, the blue goes from the handlebar switch to the headlight switch and then to the pilot light. Are you saying somehow this gets back to powering the headlights? I don't see the connection on the wiring diagram.

The pilot light is the one thing I don't have installed because I'm waiting for the part.

Thanks for responses.

Scott in Maine
1960 A7, future project
Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #782044 08/20/19 3:01 pm
S
Sparticus-500 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
When I totally rewired mine I bought what I thought were Lucas black Bullet connectors, they were pattern and caused all sorts of grief with joints falling apart after fitting the tank. I found some old stock in a car spares shop and any male bullets I now solder, it is worth the effort.

Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #782046 08/20/19 3:59 pm
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
DavidP - hmm, the blue goes from the handlebar switch to the headlight switch and then to the pilot light. Are you saying somehow this gets back to powering the headlights? I don't see the connection on the wiring diagram.

Yes , this is basically what both david and alan are saying... except ,
2 of 4 Key switch positions ... operate/connect ... a brown w/ green wire ... for pilot light .
, tail light filiment and instrument lights ... this is the hot lead for the headlights before it turns blue .
This harness wire to the pilot light also
feeds the headlight-shell-switch .... the shell switch adds or subtract the headlights... from the running lights .

It turns blue ... as the out-feed of that switch .... goes to handlebar switch
As the in-feed for the high/low beam switch

You cant see the key "hot" connection in the wiring diagram .... they are in the key switch connector diagram
Key positions ;
1. one-click counter-clockwise ... lights only ( brown w/ green wire )
2.off
3 one-click clockwise ... ign. Only
4. Two-clicks clockwise ....Ign and lights

Last edited by quinten; 08/20/19 5:06 pm.
Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #782103 08/21/19 4:05 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Scott56

Actually the brown/green comes from the key switch to the switch in the headlight shell and to the pilot light and instrument lights. The other side of the switch in the shell is the blue wire. From that switch the blue wire goes to the handlebar switch (diagram shows this as left, but it's usually on the right in US.) The handlebar switch connects the blue to either blue/red (dip beam) or blue/white (main beam.)
The switch in the shell is #11 in the diagram (top left.)
Yes, there is a white wire for each handlebar switch. On one side it powers the horn and main-beam flash push buttons. On the other side it connects to the white/yellow through the normally closed kill switch. The white/yellow goes from there to the ignition coils.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: '71 Lightning wiring routes [Re: Scott56] #782118 08/21/19 9:57 am
S
Scott56 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Ahah, I see that, now that I look at as from the brown/green to the pilot light switch through the blue to the lights. Will re-charge my battery and try again tonight.

Thanks again!

Scott in Maine
1960 A7, future project

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO