BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Jamie-69TR6R
Jamie-69TR6R
Beachwood, New Jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering
10861 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 168
DavidP 68
reverb 64
NickL 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,014,939 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,781
Posts680,253
Members10,861
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 530 guests, and 877 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ginger Man #780140 07/31/19 10:24 am
Mike Baker Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
We're just about packed for the trip to the Mitten- that's Michigan for the uninformed. The BSA and Triumph are as good as they are going to be. Changed gearing on the B50, it may be a little tall but that's better than the way it was in NJ. There's something wrong with letting off the throttle when you know there's more there. Barb and Gus (my lab) are coming for a much needed break. Barb will be mostly on the Lake Michigan beach while Gus keeps me company. Greg Tomlinson is coming all the way from SoCal and Dave Spanjer is going to cross the lake from Wisconson for the 650 class so far. There are a couple of 500 guys in our wave to race with too so far. Hopefully we'll see some late entries.
Have some family and friends close by in Kalamazoo and hopefully we will see some of them. Spend a couple days on the lake after the races.
Yea! Summer vacation!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Ginger Man [Re: Mike Baker] #780143 07/31/19 11:46 am
G
Gordon Gray Offline
Life Member
Life Member
G
Be safe my friend but GIVE EM HELL........we'll toast you at TWOS this weekend.

Gordon in NC

Re: Ginger Man [Re: Mike Baker] #780480 08/03/19 11:54 pm
kevin roberts Online Confused
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
back in the lineup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

non-matching 1970 TR6 cases. but I ain't skeered of that. twenty-nine bucks plus thirty-something shipping.

so the track bike is on a burner again.

put up some pitchers of what you're doing, please.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Ginger Man [Re: Mike Baker] #781092 08/10/19 12:51 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Can't have too many Triumphs, K. Promise you'll try to stop blowing up your motors. Time consuming and expensive.
Had a good vacation in Michigan. Wife Barb and Gus the old lab came with me, Barb for some Lake Michigan beach time and Gus to help around the pits. My son and his wife came from Kalamazoo Sat and Sun and my daughter came with her new SO from Chicago on Sat. Nice to see them all.
Weather could not have been better, perfect! Pretty clean racing all weekend, no ambulance rides that I know of.
As for myself, Did well on the B50, took a first on Saturday. The usual fast CB 350s weren't there. Had a good race with a 400f though. Didn't race it on Sunday. The bike works well and is a lot of fun to ride. It's most likely going to become a sportsman bike this winter. We'll see what kind of motor goodies EdV can come up with to make it faster.
The Triumph got new tires before this race. Had been using Continental Classic attack radials, They were good enough when new, but the last race I felt they were starting to go away. That and they are not good on a wet track. Downright scary. Got a set of Avon AM18 for it. Real race tires are an eye opener- I must have been sliding the Contis and didn't know it because the avons were that much stickier in the turns. And that brings it's own set of problems. I think the tires are overwhelming the front end now because in the faster corners the front end starts to hammer pretty good. I tried to ride through it but the faster I went, the worse it got. Seeing as I needed to be at work when I got home, I backed off and went into survival mode. Hate that!
I had also put the 20 tooth front sprocket on the bike for the race at Road America that I wound up not attending. The bike is noticeably slower off the turns geared that way. My advantage has been that I am able to make clean passes out of turns and that wasn't happening. So wound up with a fourth on Sat and a third on Sunday. Had 3 other fast bikes in the class plus 3 500's in our wave. The first wave was the little formula 125s and they added interest to our race when we caught up to them. Saturday I was chasing Greg Tomlinson, he got through a little group of 125s, And I got stuck behind them for a bit as I watched his lead on me get bigger. Finally got past them and was beginning to reel him in and missed the 3-2 downshift in turn 10. Only thing to do is try to hit 3rd again and make it through the turn, then try to hit 2nd coming out. Well, I missed 3rd and wound up in 4th and it was all over. But that's racing.
So where to go with the front end? A 69 Triumph has pretty crude forks. Not sure where to go there. I do know the tire should be smaller. It's a 100-90-19. I wanted a 90 series but one wasn't available in the AM18. Finding a 90 series is the first move. Maybe fashion a fork brace too. Norton front end????

Re: Ginger Man [Re: Mike Baker] #781133 08/10/19 10:06 pm
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
Originally Posted by Mike Baker
\
The Triumph got new tires before this race. Had been using Continental Classic attack radials, They were good enough when new, but the last race I felt they were starting to go away. That and they are not good on a wet track. Downright scary. Got a set of Avon AM18 for it. Real race tires are an eye opener- I must have been sliding the Contis and didn't know it because the avons were that much stickier in the turns. And that brings it's own set of problems. I think the tires are overwhelming the front end now because in the faster corners the front end starts to hammer pretty good. I tried to ride through it but the faster I went, the worse it got.

i used continental classic attacks on my LSR all last year. they were great, but i didn't have to turn with them. took em off and i'm running goodyear drag race car tires now. but i don't have to turn with them either. it's either those or avon road-whatsits for the track bike.

what about your forks? what can you change and still stay in the class? tony did a spectacular job with the front end on his T140D. thick and fast, but not at all british.

and i've only blown up two motors.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Ginger Man [Re: Mike Baker] #781179 08/11/19 11:51 am
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Mike, I've heard many guys say that fitting sticky race tires to older bikes usually brings on chassis and fork flex from the increased load from better grip and higher cornering speeds..perhaps playing with tire prssures will help...Or the dampening needs updating, Kommando on here I believe offers kits..You should be able get noticable improvements...And it's a credit to your riding ability to push the bike hard enough to find the limits....
As Kevin mentions, the 95 Honda 750 Interceptor front end with 41mm tubes on my T140 is lights years ahead of the stock parts...But likely not legal in your class.

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Ginger Man [Re: Mike Baker] #781181 08/11/19 11:58 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Rules state period forks. To me that's a little vague. Seeing as I'm using "period" Mikuni VMs, I'm not sure I should go looking for a jap front. May start to raise some eyebrows. Cogent Dynamics is a suspension shop right in my backyard, I've ridden with the owner once or twice. He specializes in modern dirt bike suspensions but he may have some advice for my stone age gear. Been wanting to go to an 18" front wheel for awhile now. Both my Aermacchi and the B50 have them and they are much easier to get into a turn. It's probably time to quit procrastinating and go for that too.

Re: Ginger Man [Re: Mike Baker] #781235 08/12/19 1:46 am
H
HughdeMann Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
H
Good on ya Mike! I'll tr to contact my racing buddy from Ohio. He did really well with his Triumph. I don't know what he may have done to the front end other than a brace. He may even tell me, since he's retired now too.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
presently without a Brit Bike
A couple others
Re: Ginger Man [Re: Mike Baker] #781296 08/12/19 6:31 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Thanks, Marlin
I'm all ears!
Meanwhile, I'm putting feelers out for a Norton front end.....

Re: Ginger Man [Re: Mike Baker] #781337 08/13/19 3:20 am
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
Originally Posted by Mike Baker
It's probably time to quit procrastinating and go for that too.

how do you have time to procrastinate?

i don't even have enough time to do the stuff that's important right away.

i leave for the races in 14 days and i don't even have pistons yet.

or a crankshaft.

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership