BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
htown
htown
Magnolia, TX
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Jan Hellinge, Lucas Barwick, NTB31, B. Hunt, JM Ahumada
10826 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 134
NickL 79
DavidP 60
reverb 59
Popular Topics(Views)
973,105 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,377
Posts677,355
Members10,826
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
77 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 411 guests, and 735 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs #779821 07/27/19 6:58 am
Kent Shaun Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Well once AGAIN they've got me back up, top of the list as y'all know, is that Bar Steward that designed the A10 Rocker Box set up, that sucker's Plums will be the first to get me Steel toe caps, as soon as we meet up in the place Dead people have an Ale. Next on the list is that Muppet that did the Indian wheel rims, my what fun it was fitted that rear wheel tyre... mad

And t'other day, me list has a new member to look out for, the Spaghetti munching wine drinker, that designed where the gear lever return spring fits, on the Moto Guzzi... mad

I can feel that very spring is getting weak, so it needs swapping out, a 10 minute job on ALL other bikes I own, well...Them that have them springs that is... wink

But the Guzzi, Oh NO Matey me ladio, it's not that bloody simple is it. For this *Service* item, a part that wears on a regular basis, like chains and tyres. So you'd think it'll be easy to swap, oh no on THIS bike, you have to strip half the back end down. And Crab the frame to get to the gearbox, where once you've done a days work, you can then take the front of the gearbox off, and FINALLY swap out the spring, before taking another full day out to replace everything you took of at the start.... mad

Jeez Louise, I need a bike Rally to get out of this, well look over there, there's one afoot. Sod it I'll do THIS job after all the fun.... thumbsup laughing beerchug

Last edited by Kent Shaun; 07/27/19 6:59 am.

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #779828 07/27/19 8:22 am
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Well once AGAIN they've got me back up, top of the list as y'all know, is that Bar Steward that designed the A10 Rocker Box set up, that sucker's Plums will be the first to get me Steel toe caps, as soon as we meet up in the place Dead people have an Ale. ...................................

I'm with you there Shaun, not forgetting the clown who designed the plunger frame centre stand, may he be spending all eternity pulling a Flash on & off that stand on the hour and half hour.
As for the rocker box syndrome, the old Flash has got more than a bit incontinent, pissing oil all over the engine.
So guess what I am doing today thumbsdown

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride”
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #779838 07/27/19 12:38 pm
GrandPaul Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I'll bet you'd love a bit of a fiddle with an oily frame Triumph rear disc brake master cylinder.

I can just see that wince turn into a semi-permanent scowl...

Last edited by GrandPaul; 07/27/19 12:38 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #779954 07/29/19 4:18 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I always thought that all student automotive engineers should be required to intern as a mechanic at a poorly equipped shop.
As it is all they seem to learn is how to specify an overly long bolt fitted into the least accessible spot in the engine bay.
Or how to put a master cylinder in the place where it will get the maximum exposure to water. laugh

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #779956 07/29/19 5:56 am
D
Dibnah Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Modern automotive designers have little regard for maintenance or repair works, see headlamp replacement process for several modern cars.

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Dibnah] #779960 07/29/19 10:16 am
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Modern automotive designers have little regard for maintenance or repair works, see headlamp replacement process for several modern cars.

No so on US PU trucks,at least Ford and Chevy pull two pins and the headlight assembly is quickly removed from the front making bulb replacement very easy..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Hillbilly bike] #779965 07/29/19 11:49 am
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
whoever invented torx screws should be required to eat a handful of them at every meal.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #779966 07/29/19 12:20 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
An engineer friend of mine designs production manufacturing machines. He would start by conferring with the machinists in the shop to learn what they could actually make, then begin design work. When preliminary designing was done, then another trip into the shop for opinions on construction of what he had drawn.

Then he conferred with the service department to learn any suggestions they had for making it easier to repair (access to internals, etc.)

All this information was entered in his CAD system, so corrections could be made and easily updated.

The biggest problem he had was when some guy in the shop would decide to make a change in a part and wouldn't inform him about it, so when something broke "in the field" the info he had in the system wasn't correct for the new part that was needed.

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #779972 07/29/19 12:54 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
It's been going on for a long time .... on a Corvette of 50 years ago, you had to actually take the engine off of its mounts to change the rear spark plugs ... and back then, spark plugs were something you had to change regularly, not every 200K miles like today!

Guzzi transmission and clutch work is one of the horrible jobs in motorcycling, although I must say that I would not have wanted to be a race mechanic on a BSA unit twin, where the gearing had to be changed regularly and the whole primary side had to come off, while the Japanese bike mechanics spun a new sprocket on there in 2 minutes ...

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #779975 07/29/19 1:18 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Not to mention the sadistic German engineer that decided BMW clutch splines needed to be lubed every year which on my old K bike required splitting the bike in two much like an old farm tractor.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #779976 07/29/19 1:20 pm
GrandPaul Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I heard you have to remove the engine from the chassis to get at the alternator on a Honda CX500...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Lannis] #779977 07/29/19 1:30 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
A V-8 Monza was harder to get to rear plugs than a C-2 big block. As a GM line tech from 71 to 98 you cannot fathom some of the engineering wonders. My favorite was too stiff/brittle head bolts on Fiero's & 5.7L diesels. Changed a Fel-Pro warehouse of head gaskets on both with the upgrade head bolts. The Fiero's some would catch fire when the coolant spurted on the exhaust. How about changing to metric bolt head sizes and keeping course & fine US threads. Oil filters in places that when unscrewed would dump oil in all the sidewinder cradles!! and on and on.

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: bodine031] #779978 07/29/19 2:03 pm
H
Hugh Jorgen Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
H
Originally Posted by bodine031
... As a GM line tech from 71 to 98 you cannot fathom some of the engineering wonders.

Bet ya.

Proud owner of a 97 Catera.
You know, the one with the prone to leak oil cooler in the coolant channel between the V banks and sealed underneath the intake plenum.
And the first clue of a leak was a chocolate malted boiling from the coolant overflow tank...

1970 T120R
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: GrandPaul] #779982 07/29/19 3:36 pm
Geoff Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
I'll bet you'd love a bit of a fiddle with an oily frame Triumph rear disc brake master cylinder.

I just had the pleasure of working on that again - what a mess!

'78 T140V
'74 Commando
'69 TR6R
'67 Starfire
'64 Greeves TES
'58 Allstate (Puch) 175
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: GrandPaul] #779984 07/29/19 4:04 pm
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by GrandPaul

Rear disc brake etc, Is that some new fangled sort of doohickey thing?

Last edited by BeezaBryan; 07/29/19 4:06 pm.

Its not the destination,

Bryan

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Lannis] #779989 07/29/19 5:18 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
It's been going on for a long time .... on a Corvette of 50 years ago, you had to actually take the engine off of its mounts to change the rear spark plugs ... and back then, spark plugs were something you had to change regularly, not every 200K miles like today!

Lannis

What generation or years, big block or small block? Did you do it? Just curious.....

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #780002 07/29/19 7:49 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
In 1966 I had to cut a hatchway through the left front inner splash shield of a '64 Ford T-Bird to get to the left rear spark plug.
It was buried below the brake master cylinder so it as inaccessible any other way.

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Hillbilly bike] #780004 07/29/19 7:57 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike

Lannis

What generation or years, big block or small block? Did you do it? Just curious.....

Well now you made me go back and look at our pictures. We tried to change plugs on a 2001 LT1 Vette but could not do it with the engine in place, although we heard later that someone has done it. Pulling the exhaust manifold? An ugly job at any rate. Plugs obviously went into the motor before the motor was put in the car at the factory.

I know you have to pull the engine on a '68 390 Cougar and on a '77 Chevy Monza V8 to get to the back plugs. So that's where I got the 50 years ago part ... sorry for slanging the early series Vettes!

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #780005 07/29/19 8:02 pm
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I do wish Shaun had kept his thoughts to himself about re fitting A10 fecking rocker box.
Done it many times before, fiddly but did it but not this time took patience, impatience, effing & blinding, flinging tools about the place, tantrums etc. Finally between dentist and doctor appointments the barst'ds got bored of pissing be about and all four pushrods stayed in their allotted places.

Its not the destination,

Bryan

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #780056 07/30/19 4:30 am
Kent Shaun Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bryan lad, us A10 fettlers feel your pain brother.... wink

Just hope my 10 minutes to do that job on mine, doesn't bite me in the arse later on... shocked

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Kent Shaun] #780063 07/30/19 7:15 am
Allan Gill Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Back when I was a skinny runt, my dad used to have me fit the pushrods on his A10, I could reach in and push the rockers onto the pushrods with one hand and take up most of the lash on the adjusters with the other hand so they would stay in place. Think I would struggle now though.

beerchug
Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Allan Gill] #780065 07/30/19 7:25 am
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Allan Gill
............................. Think I would struggle now though.

I did, my gnarled old fingers ain't same as when I were a lad

Its not the destination,

Bryan

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: BeezaBryan] #780071 07/30/19 10:23 am
TT John Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by BeezaBryan
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I do wish Shaun had kept his thoughts to himself about re fitting A10 fecking rocker box.
Done it many times before, fiddly but did it but not this time took patience, impatience, effing & blinding, flinging tools about the place, tantrums etc. Finally between dentist and doctor appointments the barst'ds got bored of pissing be about and all four pushrods stayed in their allotted places.

Brian & Shaun.
There's nothing to doing the rocker box gaskets if you follow my photo's as a guide, it's a five minute job, using the combe and a set of my soft copper gaskets, firstly bend the combe at the end in a step fashion, so that you can clamp it to the top fin of the head but before that put the gaskets in place ,turn the engine over so that the push rods are as close as possible to being level, get the rockers in a central position, then carefully put the rocker box on making sure you don't disturb the rods, slowly lower the box making sure the studs go through the holes in the front two gaskets, lower away slowly and you should have all the rods located in the cups. The main thing is that the combe stays in position, I usually stick the two long rocker box bolts through and tighten down just enough so that I can get the combe out. The whole job only takes me about five minutes now.

Regards TTJohn

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Lannis] #780073 07/30/19 10:32 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member

I know you have to pull the engine on a '68 390 Cougar and on a '77 Chevy Monza V8 to get to the back plugs. So that's where I got the 50 years ago part ... sorry for slanging the early series Vettes!

Lannis

I don't believe you need to pull the engine on either one of those ..

FE Mustangs

Re: Motorcycle Designers...guard your plumbs [Re: Hugh Jorgen] #780075 07/30/19 12:15 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Oh yes the Caddy German Opel Vectra! Following in more Caddy WTF's, Cimarron an overpriced tarted up Cavalier,& the made in Italy Allante

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor