BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Gunk
Gunk
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown
10860 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 172
reverb 64
DavidP 63
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,005,864 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,747
Posts679,979
Members10,860
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 279 guests, and 462 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stay-up flat problems on Premiers? #779258 07/21/19 1:38 am
Curmudgeon Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Has anyone been having trouble with the Premier Amals due to improper float level set up? I think they are running them too lean but wonder if anyone else has had trouble.

reliccycles.com
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779262 07/21/19 3:11 am
R
Rohan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Brand new carbs run a LOT leaner than worn out old amals.

I found this out a long time ago - the old set on a Commando barely needed to be tickled and it would start,
and the new set needed to be tickled AND choked, and then it was a one kick starter.
But ONLY if you tickled AND choked it. (from cold)
Mileage shot up too, without recording exactly how much by.

Having said that, what problems are you seeing ?
There have been stray reports of less than ideal new carbs shall we say.

Can you make it idle on each/one cylinder only.
(not forgetting to give the disconnected cylinder's spark somewhere to spark to).

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779279 07/21/19 10:08 am
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The stay up float is adjustable, so check your fuel level and adjust, not sure if they set it before they send them out but sounds like they don't.

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779288 07/21/19 1:52 pm
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Rohan, did you ever ask yourself why nearly every engine that uses gasoline as fuel has to run with the choke on until the cylinder reaches operating temperature. Unlock the secret and you will have your answer.

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779292 07/21/19 2:37 pm
Tridentman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
+1 with JH
If you don’t need choke plus tickling to start from cold then your carburation is set too rich.
You may be happy with it as it is but that does not alter the fact that it is set too rich.
Just my two cents worth of course.

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779311 07/21/19 7:19 pm
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
I had the experience recently of my Dodge Durango with a noticeable loss in power with a drop in mileage from an average of 22 mpg to to 18 mpg. It ended up being related to why you need a rich mixture when you start the engine and a choke until the engine warms up.

Unlock the secret and you will have your answer.

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: John Healy] #779324 07/21/19 9:27 pm
R
Rohan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Originally Posted by John Healy
Rohan, did you ever ask yourself why nearly every engine that uses gasoline as fuel has to run with the choke on until the cylinder reaches operating temperature. Unlock the secret and you will have your answer.

Have you become our new 'master of stating the bleedin obvious' John ?

Having said that, you often read about Commando owners removing the choke system "because it wasn't needed".
In fact a lot of bikes equipped with old well worn amals....

Meanwhile, we haven't heard back from the OP on what the actual problem is.

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779328 07/21/19 9:42 pm
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Doesn't seem bleedin obvious to me! If it was, we wouldn't have so many people running around without chokes. Just saying!

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Tridentman] #779334 07/21/19 10:19 pm
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Tridentman
+1 with JH
If you don’t need choke plus tickling to start from cold then your carburation is set too rich.
You may be happy with it as it is but that does not alter the fact that it is set too rich.

I disagree .
I have always removed the chokes from my Amals , and my bike(s) start perfectly well from cold by just flooding the carbs .
Trade off : It runs like sh.t for the first couple of 100 meters , because too LEAN .
IMO, a small price to pay for less clutter and easier maintenance .
I consume 4.1 L/ 100 km , or close to 60 mpg US on average .( Norton 850)
Not too bad , I believe..

Last edited by ludwig; 07/22/19 3:12 pm.
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779336 07/21/19 10:58 pm
N
NickL Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
My T120 is not too bad with no chokes (flood it up and accept the spluttering for a few minutes) then ok to ride.
Mt A65 t'bolt is a bloody pain when cold with no choke, i wish i'd never removed it. Still, it's not that often i use
either when it's cold anyway, so i just live with it.

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: John Healy] #779355 07/22/19 7:23 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I’ve had no issues with the float level as set by Burlen, what must be noted is that with the stay up floats you MUST NOT use the 0.080” rule to set the float height you must use the liquid level. This is best done on the bike and you MUST use gasoline to set the level if you choose to check or change it.

John knows more about these carbs than any of us could wish to know. From my experience I also agree with him, on a hot day I always try the bike without choke first, but if it soon dies or won’t start then I apply the choke. I do the same on my mates B50, always better to add the choke later than to try and clear the fuel from the cylinder.

The only thing I have found with premiers is that on some applications they require a leaner pilot jet. But I have found this to be rare.

beerchug
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779357 07/22/19 7:47 am
R
Rohan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
John appears to be saying the same thing AT me that I just said,
so I don't know how anyone can say I'm not agreeing with him. !!!!!! ?
But I said it (here) first, so he is agreeing with me....

It is rather common knowledge, after all.
Cold engines need choke, unless they are well rich, and warm engines don't (usually)
I think that appeared in the handbook of engines for about 1880, if not before....

Didn't Premiers change the pilot jet size at some point ?
Was it 17 to 19 ??
Since the OP still hasn't replied, we still don't know the actual problem....

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779359 07/22/19 9:22 am
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The first Commando premiers came with 17 pilots, a 17 thou hole which is the same as the old 25 pilot bush, but it resulted in idle weakness so they now come with 19 pilots.

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779360 07/22/19 9:41 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Apologies Rohan, I didn’t mean that John was agreeing or not agreeing with you (probably aught to have gone back to previous comments first) but my agreement is that if you dont need a choke to start the bike (except in warm weather) then it is highly probable that your idle
Mixture is too rich... my bet would be also that the bike kicks back or you’ve had to retard the ignition so far to stop it kicking back.

Either that or the float level is too high and then there will be problems elsewhere in the range. Often people will raise the float height to speed up the tickling process, instead of noting that the tickler is a roll pin pushing into the tickler button, pulling the roll pin out of the button further will push the float lower and speed up the tickling process.

beerchug
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779369 07/22/19 11:25 am
D
Dibnah Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
A second tickling session can be used to keep a chokeless engine running, or a hand over the bellmouth (watch out for flames!)

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: John Healy] #779371 07/22/19 12:26 pm
B
bill50cal Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
my guess is a bad coolant temp sensor.

I had the experience recently of my Dodge Durango with a noticeable loss in power with a drop in mileage from an average of 22 mpg to to 18 mpg. It ended up being related to why you need a rich mixture when you start the engine and a choke until the engine warms up.

Unlock the secret and you will have your answer.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779374 07/22/19 12:45 pm
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J

Right answer wrong part. clap It was the thermostat stuck open.

If you know that you must know why? Why then, is it related to having to enrichen the fuel mixture to start an engine?

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: John Healy] #779375 07/22/19 12:57 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Right answer wrong part. clap It was the thermostat stuck open.

If you know that you must know why? Why then, is it related to having to enrichen the fuel mixture to start an engine?

So that Dodge Durango has no engine temperature gauge? LOL

Gasoline doesn't vaporize readily in a cold engine and tends to cling to the cold surfaces..So an over rich mixture is required...This is less of an issue with port injection than a "wet" intake manifold using a carb or throttle body injection..Some enginners claim part of the long life of modern engine is due in part to the lack of crude chokes washing down cylinders with fuel...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779385 07/22/19 3:15 pm
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Starting and reliable cold running are 2 different things.
Even the leanest engine ( = the one with an empty tank..) can usually be started by pouring some fuel in the inlet.

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779393 07/22/19 4:05 pm
htown Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Worn out Amals should run leaner not richer than a new carb. The wear in the slide and bore allows more air to come in and leans the mixture. But is often the case the needle jet is also worn so that richens the mixture. So replacing the needle jets could take you from too rich to too lean on a carb with a lot of miles on it.

Last edited by htown; 07/22/19 4:08 pm.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779397 07/22/19 4:59 pm
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
htown Most of the "worn" AMAL's have a needle jet that has never been replaced. Needle jet wear is more common than slide wear.
They almost go hand-in-hand. Thus with as little a .001" needle jet the mixture is quite rich. I have seem them as large as .109".

The slide wear only dramatically effects low throttle openings. As the slide is lifted it effect the mixture less and less. So at normal
highway speeds it has only a small effect.

As vacuum draws the slide to the back of the body there is some sealing. And as the slide lifts, the wear becomes less and less important.

But the worn needle jet effects running from idle, all the way through approx. 3/4 throttle.

Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779409 07/22/19 6:38 pm
A
Andy Higham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
Starting and cold running are completely different areas on AMAL Mk1 Concentrics
The choke slide is hidden inside the main slide until the throttle is opened, therefore it has no effect on mixture when starting. Pressing the tickler raises the fuel level in the float bowl enriching the mixture through the pilot system. Once the engine is running and the throttle opened the choke slide partially blocks the venturi restricting the air flow.

The MK2 has a system like Mikuni, Keihin, Dellorto etc where a supplementary fuel/air mixture is fed via a starter system

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Andy Higham] #779412 07/22/19 7:11 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Andy Higham

The MK2 has a system like Mikuni, Keihin, Dellorto etc where a supplementary fuel/air mixture is fed via a starter system

And some/most of those Mikunis, Keihins and Dellortos have accelerator pumps that can also be used to prime the engine for starting in addtion to or in lieu of using the cold start...No stinky finger...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779542 07/24/19 12:07 am
J
johnm Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
My new experience with new Premier carbs was confused by previous experience with old Amals.

As pointed out by John and others for the first time in maybe 40 years of using Amals found I had to use the choke on my 850 commando.

- and it took a while to learn the lesson.

I changed from 17 to 19 and finally to 21 jets. I changed to a 3 slide. And still the bike was very very reluctant to transition off idle no matter how carefully I opened the throttle.

Part of the issue was my annoying experience of the useless modern cables with the "pull off" nipples. Branded cables from a normal dealer and one pulled off the throttle and then another off the choke. At which stage I threw the choke away not wishing to replace 5 times 2.

But I'm going to have to resolder all of them and fit the choke.

(And yes I did carefully inspect and clean the new "matched pair" of AMAL Premiers. "Matched" so one carb came with a 200 main and the other a 260. :-) They came in a nice box carefully packaged together with 850 Commando on the box. )

Trust no one !!!!

Last edited by johnm; 07/24/19 12:09 am.
Re: stay-up flat problems on Premiers? [Re: Curmudgeon] #779578 07/24/19 9:03 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
What was the nomination on side of the carb with the 200 main jet?

The standalone carb (not pre tuned to any particular bike) for a 930 is #3 slide, 106 needle jet and 200 main jet.

Also worth noting that if the bike isn’t taking throttle, then it isn’t the pilot circuit that needs changing but the slide.

beerchug
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership