BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mark Chapman, JacksMacnLE, Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi
10864 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 167
DavidP 69
reverb 59
NickL 53
Popular Topics(Views)
1,019,866 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,804
Posts680,446
Members10,864
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (1958superrocket), 626 guests, and 867 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H4 LED bulbs, again. #778787 07/16/19 8:45 am
R Moulding Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member

I've wanted to try these for so long, however since they are not legally allowed on N/Z roads ( unless fitted within an LED specific headlamp unit ) I was not willing to spend the money. Today a pair came up for free, how could I say no. I will stress that they are unbranded and I have no idea where they came from. I set up a somewhat makeshift light board in the shed so I could compare the patterns to a standard H4.

Halogen dip beam
[Linked Image]
and main beam
[Linked Image]
LED dip beam
[Linked Image]
and main beam
[Linked Image]

So far I am not convinced that these would not dazzle an oncoming driver but I will sneak the bike to work and check again on a proper headlamp beam tester.

Rod

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #778797 07/16/19 11:55 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I think if they look right on the beam tester then there shouldn't be an issue, you can buy all sorts of halogen or xennon effect bulbs which are whiter or have a longer beam of light (which is what I tend to go for) as long as the light isn't blue, which this isn't there shouldn't be a problem.

IME, its the glass which does most of the work. the bulb is secondary. As a good example, with the original glass in my 400/4 the brightest bulbs could be fitted but you still wouldn't see well down the road. I changed the glass to a H4 fitting type with a different beam pattern and now its a superb light! Same with the A65 but the Stanley glass was so poor in how it refacted the light that you may as well of been running on pilot light only!

beerchug
Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #778909 07/17/19 6:01 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Precisely! The reflector, glass, and lamp are designed to work as a unit. The focal distance from the reflector is critical.
I have an H4 LED lamp on my Bonneville, nice and bright, good light pattern. But I wouldn't expect that lamp to work well in a BPF light unit.
I've also tried a few different H4 lamps in the Hella unit on my A65. Some of them result in a rather odd, bow-tie shaped light pattern.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #781519 08/15/19 9:35 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Finally got around to taking the bike to work and checking on the beam setter. To clarify this is a new Lucas (Wassel) H4 lamp unit, I brought it in the hope it would fit well in the Lucas (Wassel) shell. With a standard H4 bulb it shows a perfect pattern, but with the LED it shows nothing more than a blob. I would have liked to try it in the dark but it didn't make the ride home. Popped the first time the bike hit 6 grand.

I do like not watching the ammeter pin in the Minus when I turn on the Headlamp but since I'm the one who writes out the WOF (MOT equivalent) I do need it to be right. So LED's are off the cards for me, shame really.

Rod

Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #782608 08/26/19 1:29 am
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
Bite the bullet and stick a 3 phase alternator stator on it.
With one of those regulators i've posted they are more than adequate for a 60/55 h4 bulb.
Even the bigger single phase stator is an improvement and copes with all but heavy town work.

https://www.eBay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-Voltage-Regulator-for-Honda-CB250-Hornet-250-CB400-SF-CB-1/152738929566?hash=item238ff31b9e:g:LYAAAOSw4QdaU7UK

Last edited by NickL; 08/26/19 1:33 am.
Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #782640 08/26/19 6:58 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Phillips (maybe also Ring) do some really good h4 bulbs with improved beams for the same/standard wattage. You might not get anything less than 55/60w but the light will be far improved. Avoid the “blue” bulbs though, they don’t give anything more than a change in the hue. And if your WOF standards are same as our MOT, the blue bulbs aren’t allowed anyway.

beerchug
Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #782803 08/27/19 9:53 pm
Hugh Jorgen Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I picked up a set of these:
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyWhyNotLEDs.htm
H/L,T/L, pilot and instruments.

Nice improvement in intensity.
Will update on longevity.

1970 T120R
1970 Commando
Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #782881 08/28/19 6:15 pm
D
Dibnah Online Confused
BritBike Forum member
Online Confused
BritBike Forum member
D
Are the lamps a straight swop for existing?

Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #782889 08/28/19 6:45 pm
Hugh Jorgen Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Yep.

1970 T120R
1970 Commando
Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #782944 08/29/19 2:06 am
TR6Ray Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Rod, which bike did you "sneak" to work? Isn't the TR6 still up on the table? Are you riding the Bonneville?

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #782946 08/29/19 3:24 am
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
In the 79 T140E I have the Lucas lens that says: "EUROPEAN"; as you know, the factory bulb is the P45T; months ago I blow it and needed to order from USA; the automotive shops did not sell it anymore here. In the meantime, I decided to buy an HALOGEN bulb; did not work for these lens: bad beam; too much heat, really! and more current consumption.
The 410 high beam is pretty good with these lens; may be for the older models is not so good?
Still I do not see any LED bulb that lights with better beams; very possible due to the distance from the lens; also that polar white light is horrendous.
I do not see any advantage except of course the consumption; but as Niquel said; put a RM24 180W and just that.

Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #782973 08/29/19 8:35 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Hello Ray,

Yeah from time to time I sneak out on the Bonnie. Need to stop doing it but that thing is fun!

Rod

Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #783105 08/30/19 11:51 pm
TR6Ray Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by R Moulding

Hello Ray,

Yeah from time to time I sneak out on the Bonnie. Need to stop doing it but that thing is fun!

Rod

I may have forgotten, but is there a reason why you can't ride it on a regular basis, especially while the TR6 is down?

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #783108 08/31/19 1:27 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Only financial and bureaucratic Ray.

The bike came out of Texas and came with a certain amount of paperwork, Bill of Sale, Police and Insurance checks as well as export / import papers. However the NZ transport authority requires proof of de registration and will only except a US title as proof. With a title it's a fairly simple process, first get a certificate from the Vintage Car club to confirm it's age and that it was originally manufactured without indicators a service they offer for just $100, then have a suitably qualified workshop strip and inspect the brakes and sign of a brake declaration, thankfully I can do that. Then pop down to a testing station with the bike and a bundle of paperwork and run it through a compliance test. Pay the Man $300 and ride away.

With out a title I need to make an application for the NZTA to accept "alternative paperwork". That requires me sending them what I have along with a cheque (they do not accept any other form of payment) for $185. They then decide if the bike was legally de registered and if I am in fact the legal owner. If they say yes I can then follow the above process if they say no I ship the bike back to the US with a for sale sticker stuck on it.

Alternatively I screw the plate from the TR6 onto the Bonnie and go for a ride!

Once the TR6 is sorted I will get the Bonnie registered and legal, I should have looked into it more and only didn't because I had just registered the TR6 having brought it with me from the UK and whilst lengthy (the Vintage Car Club are bunch of old boys who do not rush) it was straight forward.

Rod

Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #783135 08/31/19 7:29 am
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Holy Trump that sounds like a lot of paperwork and cash to go through for registering! It sounds as though the Vintage Car Club really makes out charging $100 to look in Bacon's book to check the date code and that signals were not required until 1975.
Strip and inspect the brakes? In the fringe state of california they do not give a fetid pair of Don Jr.'s kidneys if the brakes work, that is what lawyers are for. Also, any collision here is called an "accident" which by definition cannot be avoided and therefore cannot be legally charged with an offense.
What is "legally de registered"? They want to be sure someone is not paying registration on it elsewhere?

Re: H4 LED bulbs, again. [Re: R Moulding] #783136 08/31/19 8:30 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member

I've been on the phone previously with the Land Transport agency on the subject. All I can say is that making a logical argument to a bureaucrat was by far the most painful experience in my life.

Rod

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership