BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
Nor Cal near Sutters mill.
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Spot, longstroke, Lovatomi, Gary Hawthorn, Marcel Fekete
10897 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 118
DavidP 73
quinten 67
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,045,734 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,006
Posts682,443
Members10,897
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (Alan_nc), 416 guests, and 919 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
hi compression screw up #777992 07/05/19 11:00 pm
Richrd Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
still messing around with this 74 t150. had some wear in the bores and had 3 new pistons on the shelf so had it bored. I knew they were high compression but figured what the hell, use 'em.

just got the top dropped on and found the spark plug tips bashed.

So do I look for a thick base gasket, different plugs, new pistons, or sell the bitch to have more room in the garage?

Rich (last remaining member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #778024 07/06/19 2:22 pm
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
You have to check a clearance between pistons and a head using some Plasticine first and decide later what to do, I believe thick base gasket will be necessary.

Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #778027 07/06/19 3:57 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
what kind of plugs?

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #778033 07/06/19 5:14 pm
K
koan58 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Assuming the pistons were intended for the T150, I would suspect the head has been milled quite a bit.
If so, then piston to valve clearance may also be worth checking using the plasticine method previously suggested.
If the head has lost enough surface to cause contact issues, a thicker head gasket would be the answer, as the pushrod tube rubber crush is also likely to be too much.
A thicker base gasket will not resolve this issue, it will only assist with the plug (and possible valve) to piston clash.
Personally I've not had much joy with the plasticine test, because you're not left with anything firm enough to measure. It's not good enough to assume that lack of contact during slow rotation means that this will be ok at high rpm.
I have more successfully used fine multicore solder laid across the piston top.
On twins, I have seen advised clearance in the 40+ thou region. With the triple's much less flexy crank, I would expect a lower figure. DMadigan and others may have more of an idea on this.
If it turns out everything is fine apart from the plug clash, another possible route may be adjusting plug height using additional washers under the seat?

Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #778037 07/06/19 7:26 pm
Richrd Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
what will it be like with these piistons if I get everything to clear?

is this the way to go or should I just look for new lower compression pistons?

"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #778040 07/06/19 8:20 pm
Tridentman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Do you know the nominal compression ratio of the pistons?
Are there numbers stamped on the piston crowns?
If so-- what are they?
Can you take photos of the piston crowns?
All info useful in trying to help you.

Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #778043 07/06/19 9:43 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by Richrd
what will it be like with these piistons if I get everything to clear?

is this the way to go or should I just look for new lower compression pistons?

if you're using extended plugs, that may be the entire problem.

by the way, if you hit the spark plugs turning the engine, you need to check your valves as well.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #778057 07/07/19 5:05 am
htown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
In the overall cost of a rebuild, pistons are not particularly expensive. The EMGO ones are perfectly fine. I've used em in Commando's and my Trident with good success as have large numbers of other people. I'd pop for a set of the standard ones for several reasons, solve your contact problems, reduce detonation risks with modern gas, and make it easier to start. IMHO a thicker base or head gasket is just a band aid.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Re: hi compression screw up [Re: koan58] #778108 07/08/19 3:09 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by koan58
Assuming the pistons were intended for the T150, I would suspect the head has been milled quite a bit.
If so, then piston to valve clearance may also be worth checking using the plasticine method previously suggested.
If the head has lost enough surface to cause contact issues, a thicker head gasket would be the answer, as the pushrod tube rubber crush is also likely to be too much.
A thicker base gasket will not resolve this issue, it will only assist with the plug (and possible valve) to piston clash.

thumbsup Some idiot once shaved my head. I never had an issue with the plugs (N3), but it turns out the valve clearance was down to nil. This was pre-internet, so I couldn't easily find a thick head gasket, I just doubled up on the base gasket. Never could keep the pushrod tubes from leaking after that.
I think the standard hi-comp pistons are 11:1. Unless you have access to an airport or race gas I would recommend standard pistons.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #778275 07/10/19 2:32 pm
Richrd Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Since i,m planning to sell this bike I decided to go back to standard comp. I did a lot of checking and I had plenty of clearance to the head and valves. Thought about chucking the pistons in the lathe and turning a clearance for the plugs.

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Re: hi compression screw up [Re: DavidP] #779068 07/18/19 9:01 pm
S
Stein Roger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by DavidP
Originally Posted by koan58

thumbsup Some idiot once shaved my head. I never had an issue with the plugs (N3), but it turns out the valve clearance was down to nil. This was pre-internet, so I couldn't easily find a thick head gasket, I just doubled up on the base gasket. Never could keep the pushrod tubes from leaking after that.
I think the standard hi-comp pistons are 11:1. Unless you have access to an airport or race gas I would recommend standard pistons.

The base gasket has no influence on the PRT spacing. Just think about it... whistle
The head and rocker box gaskets however, does.

Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #779215 07/20/19 9:31 am
T
Tigernuts Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Seems like you've got the Powermax 11.25:1 pistons. I used them in my T160 and first time I turned it over closed up one earth electrode completely and touched another. This was back in the early 1980s, so the plugs I got to solve the problem might not be available now, but they were Champion special plugs, N3 heat range, with the earth electrodes in the form of small dowels fitted at right angles to the live electrode at the correct gap. Can't remember what they were called, maybe N3R or something like that? Anyway, it solved the problem. There was no issue with valve / piston clearance and the engine was very sweet (but, 5 star petrol was readily available back then - don't know how well it'd do on modern fuel)

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #779227 07/20/19 3:25 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Sparkplug indexing washers come in different thickness.

Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Richrd] #779330 07/21/19 10:01 pm
gavin eisler Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
If the piston crowns have enough meat , machine them down , 9:1 would do fine.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: hi compression screw up [Re: Tigernuts] #779454 07/23/19 6:30 am
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
Originally Posted by Tigernuts
Seems like you've got the Powermax 11.25:1 pistons. I used them in my T160 and first time I turned it over closed up one earth electrode completely and touched another. This was back in the early 1980s, so the plugs I got to solve the problem might not be available now, but they were Champion special plugs, N3 heat range, with the earth electrodes in the form of small dowels fitted at right angles to the live electrode at the correct gap. Can't remember what they were called, maybe N3R or something like that? Anyway, it solved the problem. There was no issue with valve / piston clearance and the engine was very sweet (but, 5 star petrol was readily available back then - don't know how well it'd do on modern fuel)

The old racing plugs N54R etc were that type. Lodge RL49 were similar but they worked, no need for plug changes cold to hot..

Re: hi compression screw up [Re: NickL] #779469 07/23/19 10:17 am
T
Tigernuts Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
They must have been the plugs. If this link works it shows a cross-section (oddly, the only image I could find is from Russia)
http://www.uazbuka.ru/lib/candle_theory/img/Splug27.gif

I guess there must be a modern equivalent, with nothing projecting into the combustion chamber?

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership