BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Jeff Covert
Jeff Covert
Benton, AR USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Carl Courson, Roddy Walsh, Mark Creighton, Alex Lynch, B Mac
10777 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 129
NickL 62
DavidP 56
MarcB 52
Popular Topics(Views)
949,843 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,516
Posts675,799
Members10,777
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 404 guests, and 725 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Crankcase Sump Thread Sizes For DB34 ? #778157 07/08/19 6:14 pm
M
M21 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Seems I asked this before but I lost my notes
o I will try again.

I got a DBD34 with some stripped threads on the bottom of the crankcase where the scavenge plate goes, and would like to find our what size the studs are. I don't have the original studs or nuts and the remaining studs are pretty chewed up. The catch is, there are a number of of combinations available, and most of the vendors don't bother to say what the size. The only one I could find that did list the size gives it as 1/4 BSCy. I'd like it as stock as possible. Best I can figure they should be 1/4" BSW on the case end, and 3/16" BSF on the other.

Also, if anyone has a crankcase handy, I'd be interested in knowing what how deep the holes are are in the crankcase - mine are only 1/2" which seems pretty short so I am wondering if there may not be some broken off bolt inside.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Crankcase Sump Thread Sizes For DB34 ? [Re: M21] #778175 07/08/19 9:37 pm
C
chaterlea25 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Hi M21
The studs are 1/4in. Whit (20tpi) at the end that screws into the casing and 1/4 x 26 for the nut end CEI or BSF are both 26tpi
1/2in. in the case is plenty deep
Aftermarket alloy sump plates will need longer studs than original

John

Re: Crankcase Sump Thread Sizes For DB34 ? [Re: M21] #778284 07/10/19 5:42 pm
Dave - NV Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I too have been involved with the sump studs... The thicker after market, SRM, alloy sump plates are supplied with hex socket screws to replace the OEM studs. Even drilling the heads and safety wiring I found this unsatisfactory. Luckily I found longer studs at my local auto parts store, 1/4" 20 threads at one end and 14" 28 on the other end. This allowed fitting nylock nuts for security. I've found the case holes to be open to the sump that allows oil to seep by the studs, but a dab of sealant on the case end of the stud takes care of that issue. "On n on we go".

BTW, for many years I've used readily available US 1/4" 20 SS socket head screws for primary covers, cam covers, etc. I don't build Goldies for dead accurate 'museum pieces'.

Last edited by dave - NV; 07/10/19 5:46 pm.

Dave - NV

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership