BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Richard Phillips
Richard Phillips
San Luis Obispo, CA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 53 of 57 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
Re: mail-order LSR
kevin #777292 06/25/19 9:44 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
So you get 180 psi cranking compression with unseated rings and the intake cam center line at 109 degrees??..., mine has only about 145 psi ,seated rings and intake cam at 107... Interesting...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
kevin #777310 06/26/19 1:38 am
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i dunno. i immediately began worrying about that. before, kicking only gave me 140 psi, so i went straight to my notes to see if i lined up the cams correctly, and i apparently did.

. but i'm spinning this thing with a pingel electric starter at a considerably faster rate than i could ever manage with my foot. can that make a difference?

i was worried i messed up the cam timing when i saw the 180. still am, frankly.

my old compression tester has been flooded, so i bought a new one from pegasus. but when i tried to use it today i discovered it came with a hose for 10mm plugs only, so i'm looking at their website right now.

https://i.imgur.com/iAVlwY1l.mp4

Last edited by kevin roberts; 06/26/19 1:47 am.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
kevin #777317 06/26/19 5:10 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Hi Kevin

I've been reading your post. This is to do with ground clearance, Hillbilly has convinced you to raise your ground clearance which is good (in my view). A real simple way to figure it is to measure your tyre height. You want to ensure when your tyre is flat that you will still have steerage (I know if its flat it will be scary). But at least it will be better than sledging along on your pipes/frame.

Good luck at the event.

my tuppence worth

John

kevin #777322 06/26/19 10:11 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Kevin, you can check the timing with the rockers in place...It's a bit fussy...The rocker ratio doesn't affect cam lobe center readings...And it may just be the electric starter..

Hillbilly bike #777326 06/26/19 12:12 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Kevin, you can check the timing with the rockers in place...It's a bit fussy...The rocker ratio doesn't affect cam lobe center readings...And it may just be the electric starter..

well, I've already started it up and it runs just fine

so if I did mess up the cam timing nothing hits at idle speeds. i'm taking it out to the local airstrip in an hour to see whether it's controllable with the little wheels and tires.

I checked and double checked the cam timing, so i'm pretty sure it's okay. I can re-set them at the race course as easily as I can do it here, so i'm going to run it this way and see.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
JER.Hill #777327 06/26/19 12:41 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
Originally Posted by JER.Hill
Hi Kevin

I've been reading your post. This is to do with ground clearance, Hillbilly has convinced you to raise your ground clearance which is good (in my view). A real simple way to figure it is to measure your tyre height. You want to ensure when your tyre is flat that you will still have steerage (I know if its flat it will be scary). But at least it will be better than sledging along on your pipes/frame.

Good luck at the event.

my tuppence worth

John

I think it looks good, john. I raised the back end an inch by going back to the 11-inch shocks I used last year, and got clearance in the front by dropping the front forks down about 1-1/4-inches by leveling their tops with the clamps.

[Linked Image]

there's no front end dive on this because there's no front brake, and every where i'll run it is more or less smooth pavement. the tires are only 2-1/4 inches between ground and rim, and I have a minimum of 2-1/2 inches under the pipes.

kevin #777335 06/26/19 3:10 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
You are the man this year...I have confidence the Triumph speed record is in good hands...

kevin #777353 06/26/19 8:08 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
crash, bang!

not yet, tony.

went out to the airstrip to see if it all worked and discovered i was indeed and after all in serious need of more ground clearance when turning. banged off the left pipe extension turning left, and then to see if the right was as bad i turned right and banged that one off too. nothing wrong with the lowering, it's just that the pipes are outboard to put on the megaphones that i never used, and i didn't have time to make up a set of TT-style pipes that go under and high up between the frame rails.

so i came home and spent a couple of hours raising up the front end about two inches, and now it's fine. i left the rear alone, but i'll bring longer shocks in case i need to raise that up as well.

but i put a about two or three miles of vigorous ring-seating pressure on the new pistons, and they did just fine. and i was reminded that this is without a doubt the most painful motorcycle to ride i have ever come across.

kevin #777389 06/27/19 9:43 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Kevin, just push the pipes under the frame...the horizonal section will assume a funny angle.. Just cut the down tube ,realign, tack weld on the bike, remove and finish weld..

kevin #777399 06/27/19 1:06 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Glad you made it back OK! Small steps. Hing in there. A half inch of roll mat material might help with the seating pain.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
kevin #777418 06/27/19 5:32 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
lol, tony, im out of time. tbe bike is stlll a good two inches lower tban it was last fall, and i'll have new pipes on it for tbe event after this one. im in tennessee for most of a week starti g tomorrow, and will only have two days to pack up and load.

gavin tbe seat is fine. my ass still has enough padding to work. the problem is the killing prezzure on the wrists unlesz i put all my weight on tbe tank brackets. thatz how i ride thisanyway, but i had on a t shirt and tbe bolts were digging into my sternum.

mostly the important thing about body consciousness on this machine is stretching. the riding position is pretty contorted, and so you have to fold up very tight and awkwardly to get out of the wind.

kevin #777431 06/27/19 8:50 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Add a chest rest. Stick it on top of the tanks with industrial velcro. Otherwise, just grin and bear it! But if you come to the Salt Flats, you will want a good chin rest as well as the chest rest 'cause you'll be tucked in for at least 3 miles.

Your bike sounds good and the 180 psi compression is impressive. You'll give Mike G. and Pushrod Tom a good run for the money!

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
kevin #777436 06/27/19 10:16 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i already come home with black and blue bruises on my chest from the runs. and my head is already below the tanks. the forehead of my helmet is chewed up from banging the top triple clamp and the chin is chewed up from those bottom tank mounts on the frame

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

but on the salt, at 120 mph, three miles is only 90 seconds. i can cope with that, i think.

kevin #777815 07/02/19 10:17 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
so i'm packing, and trying to remember what i've foprgotten. here is the machine in it's current configuration:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

specs:

-- 1965 T120 frame, lowbrow chopper oil tank, lowered 4-plus inches with 11-inch chinese shocks, and 1.25 dropped fork tubes, and 17 x 3.00 1990 suzuki GSX 750 wheels.

-- 22 x 2.5-inch goodyear front runner drag race tires, these are tiny meats that lower the bike 2 inches all by themselves. the contact strip on the centerline is about 1.75-inches wide.

-- 1970s TR7 disc brake top triple tree and stanchions, T150 lower triple tree, two 1972 sliders mounted left and right. i would have just used a conical front end to start with if i'd known i'd end up there. conical front ends are cheap.

-- front wheel is a 1990 GSX front wheel with outrigger wheel bearings mounted to the disc brake bolt holes, there was no wheel bearing that would accept the triumph axle diameter and also fit into the wheel. the rear is also a front GSX 750 wheel, with a suzuki disc and a lockheed caliper on one side, and a sprocket bolted to the disc brake mount on the other with a 1.06-inch spacer to line up the chain.

-- DID 530 chain. this bike eats a modern renolds chain in two days.

-- 1970 T120 cases, stock timing gears, and stock four-speed transmission.

-- RODY billet T140 crank, narrowed to fit an inch-main T120

-- 1972 and a half, 9 and a half-bolt head, ported by rob hall, OS intakes and exhausts, spring kit, titanium collars, steel keepers. twin plugged by rob with 10mm NGK CR7HSA, and 14mm BGK B9ES plugs, set at around 0.018-inches. i have B10ES plugs to test. if they don't foul i'll use those instead.

-- completely stock rocker boxes, tubular kibblewhite pushrods.

-- JE pistons, cut by ed vallicutt to 11.75 or so to one. he wouldn't commit to how high they were. they were pretty high. these are the second pair. the first pair of pistons was a bit worn, as was the bore (no air filters), and to keep within specs i used the second pair. (had to get four pistons at a time). re-worked the pistons by hand, smoothing, poliching, and widening the valve pockets.

-- 36-inch long pipes, measured around the curve. 1-5/8 inch in diameter, straight-cut ends, no megaphones. these pipes will go by autumn, replaced by units more similar to the old TT pipes.

-- 35mm FCR carbs, mains 140 or 145, depending on air density, pilots can't remember, needles whatever they came with at the middle groove. stock short bell mouths.

-- MAP steel rods, with ARP bolts. still stretched to 0.0050-0.0055 when torquing.

-- bob newby 40mm belt drive and clutch. stock cover set out 0.5-inches on spacers to clear the belt. no alternator needed with the ARD. newby belts appear to live forever if you don't abuse them.

-- aerco 71mm jugs, two hones on it now. 180 cranking psi with a pretty quick-turning pingel electric starter. would only get me 140 psi or so with my foot lat year.

-- copper base gaskets, composition rocker box gaskets.

-- kibblewhite tappet blocks,filed by hand for cam clearance, lifted 0.030 or so to keep from banging the cam nose. i used valve spring shims to do it. plus dave madigan's adjustable pushrod tubes, using a pair of hard-rubber tappet block O-rings on the top, and stock red rubber O-rings on the bottom, 0.11-inches compression, with loctite 518.

-- megacycle 510-x2 cams, 3.75-inch lift, set at 106/109 lobe centers. 0.008/0.010.

-- tarozzi adjustable clip ons, buy these. they're great. you can set the angle anywhere you want.

-- tarozzi adjustable rear sets. do not buy these. get something you can fix when they bend. steel, maybe. cheap [***] is better.

-- ARD magneto, 0.015 gap, BSF twin plug wires from morris magneto. set at 0.015-inches gap, 30 BTDC.

-- VP C12 gasoline.

--21/39 final drive ratio, works out to be 3.51 with the 17 x 2.5 goodyear tires (22 OD), 135.7mph at 7275 rpm to start. i have 38 and 37-tooth sprockets to test as well.

-- run the son of a gun to 7000-plus, shift there. hold the throttle on full and don't look at the tach anymore after you shift to fourth.

Last edited by kevin roberts; 08/07/19 11:43 pm.

kevin #777857 07/03/19 11:37 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Long list , you've put a lot of work into it.

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125
kevin #777871 07/03/19 3:12 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i do lists so i can remember what changes i've made and when they occurred. i maintain a book for the bike as well.

it prevents questions later, like

did i go 125 before or after i changed gear ratios?

what jetting was i using that first year?

when exactly did i change cam timing, then?

i can't remember stuff, so i write it down.

kevin #778828 07/16/19 4:56 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
took the bike to maine. blew it up.

broke the rings in initially on the airstrip here at home, then at maine went up and down the test track to make sure the pistons could take the heat. i thought?

took it out for a first run and kept it at 5000 rpm through the mile, then opened it up.

95 at the mile, then 126 at the mile point five.

went around and gave it a full throttle run. 131 at the mile and then then the bottom end let go:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

these are all tough parts, so i don't think any of them are at fault. somewhere i messed up in my assembly. it's up on the lift now while i put an alternator in my daughter's pickup truck.

kevin #778990 07/18/19 12:07 am
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
rod bolts. should have changed them out. let that be a lesson to me.

no sign of a spun bearing on the bad rod, no sign of overheating. crank end seal in perfect shape. no signs of seizure on the piston skirts, and the cylinders still have a bit of crosshatching towards the bottom.

no problems on the crank seal:

[Linked Image]

no overheating or marking on the rod end--just two broken bolts, still in the rod:

[Linked Image]

dead exhaust pushrod. camshaft too.

[Linked Image]

exhaust valve tapped the pocket, but didn't bend:

[Linked Image]

no scores on the piston skirts or cylinders:

[Linked Image]

cracked jugs:

[Linked Image]

lunched piston and rod:

[Linked Image]

rods are junk, pistons are junk, push rods are junk, exhaust camshaft is bent (intake spins freely), crank is probably salvageable, but not in time for the next race. tappet guide blocks are fine, and the tappets all slip through all holes freely.

but the cylinder head escaped completely unscathed-- there is a mark on the left-side exhaust valve and left piston where they tapped, but all four valves fall through the guides under their own weight -- nothing is bent. that's cool, because the head is the slowest part of all to replace. i suppose the piston tapped the valve while it was unattached to the crank, and it just skipped down the bore. the left side liner on the cylinder is cracked through. and obviously the cases are trashed.

anyway, ed valiket says he can have part-number duplicates of my 11.75 to 1 pistons to me in two weeks, so i can keep what i know works. megacycle is sending me new cams and refacing the tappets. rods are on order from MAP, and i'll get new pushrods, bearings, and cylinders from somewhere. i already have two cranks to look over, plus cases.

primary drive is fine. gearbox is fine. ignition is fine. chassis is superb. and now that i know that the head is okay, we're back in the running.

i think i can have it back together in time.

kevin #779024 07/18/19 10:24 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Kevin, I posted your story on Speed Talk to see what the many pro racers and engine builders have to say about the rod bolts...... Your engine's crank is damaged?...

kevin #779032 07/18/19 11:58 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Perfect break on those rod bolts! I met up with Stephen (Triless) whilst I was in Oz, I remember him telling me that he used 1 set of bolts for any mock up (so if plastigauging the journals etc etc) then he would have a brand new set for the final assembly.. At the time I thought that might have been a little too much overkill.... But after seeing your destruction I don't.

Its a real shame but hope to see you have it running again soon.

beerchug
kevin #779053 07/18/19 5:29 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i havent split the cases yet, spent yesterday ordering parts. but its possible that the crank can be repaired in time. ill pull it tonight and box it up so guy in michigan who made it can look it over.

barb at megacycle has turned over answering the telephone to her daughter lisa. another tradition ends.

lol

kevin #779090 07/19/19 12:50 am
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
pulled the crank. it looks fixable. greg blagus in michigan--RoDy Crankshafts-- the guy who made it-- is going to look it over and see what he can do. in the mail to him in the morning.

in the meantime, taking a crank out of a unit engine is sometimes difficult. but if the crankcase comes apart into more pieces it's not nearly so difficult:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the crank isn;t so bad after all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

pretty impressive blow-up, though.

close ups of the rod end coming. i ran out of time getting the crank in the box.

Last edited by kevin roberts; 07/19/19 12:54 am.

kevin #779112 07/19/19 10:32 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
There are some with experience who feel the ARP2000 bolts used in MAP rods and many others are not the best .Some feel 75 runs down a 1-1/2 mile track is one run too many for the bolts...Obvously,lol ...Suggestions are ARP625, Carrillo or Pankl bolts.Of course there may be no optional bolt that fits properly and changing bolts may require resizing the rods..

kevin #779216 07/20/19 10:28 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
A few expereince" race engine bulders looked at your connecting rod photo....They would like a better close up photo but based on what's seen, one guy speculated

It looks as the bolt on the right broke first. It’s shiny from the the two halves rubbing on each other. The other bolt on left has a rough grainy fracture and appears to have a shear lip.

From what I can see in the photo, one bolt failed and that caused the other bolt to break as the cap hinged open. If I had it to look at, or at least good photos with magnification, I could be more certain.

Hillbilly bike #779226 07/20/19 3:21 pm
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
ive taken [***] loads of pictures but none are any good

ill do some with a different camera tonight

hes right tho there was a brief period 2 seconds. where the motor slowed before it blew

Page 53 of 57 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership