BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
steve-d
steve-d
Pennsyltucky, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Out & About in Illinois
TR6Ray #708692 09/16/17 7:16 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Hey Ray, who moved your gas cap to the other side (third Triumph pic down)?

Rod

New, Genuine Lucas Motorcycle parts!

Insist on something else.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R Moulding #708737 09/17/17 5:26 am
TR6Ray Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Triless and BeezaBryan, thanks for looking in. I hope you are both doing well!

Originally Posted by R Moulding

Hey Ray, who moved your gas cap to the other side (third Triumph pic down)?

Rod

Good eyes, Rod. Uhhh, I guess I caused that with one stray mouse click. Along with that, the speedo and tacho exchanged positions, and the choke jumped over to the other side. Somehow, I didn't even notice!

[Linked Image]

How it was:

[Linked Image]

How it should have been:

[Linked Image]

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
TR6Ray #710232 10/02/17 3:59 am
TR6Ray Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Sorry, no TR6R today, just a BMW and some business cards.

I had the R90/6 out today to go help a friend button up a transmission, since I had the special tools the job needed. The gearbox doesn't belong to either of us -- we're just nice guys helping out another biker. It was also a good reason to take a ride on this beautiful autumn day. I took along the camera and got a few pictures en route.

I stopped to look at this bit of yard art at the end of a farm lane:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The man who set this up runs a "Party Barn". I know because he stopped to talk as I was taking pictures of his display. After he decided I wasn't there to vandalize anything, but merely taking pictures,he gave me his business card. He said he had more old machinery at his barn, but I decided not to take the fairly clean bike up the gravel lane. Maybe on another day.

A scan of his card:

[Linked Image]

The Farmall Tractor makes it easy for people to find his lane entrance.

So then it was on to the transmission job which was done in a flash, and a different route back home. On the way through Lexington, Illinois, which sits directly on old US Route 66, a man and his wife are in the process of opening a new pub/restaurant to help people celebrate the ongoing love of the "Mother Road". Right away, I could tell it will be a nice place to visit, because they just got done marking out the motorcycle parking area:

[Linked Image]

And . . . up over the roof, there's a BSA in the air, complete with rider. I wonder how much that guy gets paid just to sit up there?

[Linked Image]

I'm always in favor of tin signs, old license plates, vintage wheel covers, old pictures, and mannequins dressed to suit the occasion. This place is making creative use of all of those:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Since Illinois is the "Land of Lincoln", and Ol' Honest Abe spent a lot of time in Lexington back in the day, his mannequin was there in detailed historical accuracy. He was wearing a Kelly's tee shirt and cowboy boots, and was ready to pump gas from the vintage Standard Oil gas pump. Well, O.K., that isn't 100% historically accurate. grin

[Linked Image]

There will be a door for carryout food and another for sitting down to eat inside or outside the pub.

[Linked Image]

Here's the carryout counter, inside the door. It's in full 3-dimensional graphic relief, because it is a real Chevy Truck:

[Linked Image]

TR6Ray #710235 10/02/17 4:17 am
TR6Ray Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
This is Part 2 of 2; scroll up for Part 1:

The bar top took more than a little effort:

[Linked Image]

I think the lady of the establishment picked the restroom signage:

[Linked Image]

Outside, there is a place to sit and have someone take your picture, so I got a shot of Kelly Tobin, the proprietor (and ex-motorcycle racer). He told me that the BSA in the air came from just a couple of blocks away, right there in town.

[Linked Image]

Here's another business card:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then we traded places, and he took a picture with my camera. If you can't tell, the garbage can robot is on the left, and I'm the old geezer on the right:

[Linked Image]

I think this place will do a great business. It is just the right distance from home for a nice ride through the countryside to get there. It's also kind of centrally located for a number of biker friends to meet. I'm looking forward to them opening their new business in a couple of weeks.

On the way home, I was able to resist the urge to stop at the Dairy Queen in old El Paso, but did not make it past Uncle Bob's Homemade Ice Cream in Eureka. They have this one vat called Georgia Peach and, well . . .

[Linked Image]

Across the road, these ladies were relaxing in their pasture. Maybe that is why the ice cream is so fresh there?

[Linked Image]

They were watching me take pictures of a couple of cars at the local used car lot. Talk about deja vu, my sister had the identical Studebaker Lark back in the 1960's, and she used to drive that thing up Route 66 to her home in Chicago. I remember her car perfectly well. It was the same to the last detail, including the color.

[Linked Image]

Parked right behind it was a car like my Dad once owned. That was before my time, but he had a picture of it in the house for as long as I can remember. It was one of his favorite cars in his younger days. He had painted it himself, with a brush!

Here he was in 1932:

[Linked Image]

And this was today:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I found it remarkable that these two cars were out there, one directly in front of the other.

Anyway, it was a great day to be out and about in Illinois. The German bike has rolled up about 6,000 enjoyable miles this summer, but I'll be getting out on the TR6R before the snow flies for sure!

Ray

TR6Ray #710284 10/02/17 3:09 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
That Kelly's Place looks like its gonna be fantastic.... I loved stopping at as many rt 66 attractions as I could on the drive to and from Petaluma CA for the BSA rally..... I saw a lot there and back but really need to spend a lot more time to see it all..... Thanks for the heads up on that place !! :bigt

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
TR6Ray #710288 10/02/17 3:34 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Nice pics as always ... Triumph or BMW, they're all good ....

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
TR6Ray #710409 10/03/17 3:56 pm
Moto Mojo
Online Content
Moto Mojo
Thanks for posting, Ray! I'm doing a little catching up myself today- in my hammock deep inside a secret Washington DC arena.
(don't ask/don't tell rule applied here)

I see in one pic, there are two out of four cows lying down... by my reckoning, that means a 50% chance of rain that day or the next. laugh

As always, thanks and love your bikes! :bigt

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

TR6Ray #749430 09/16/18 10:39 pm
TR6Ray Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I haven't posted to this thread in about a year, and I think the last time I was on my German bike. Julia my very British '64 TR6R is alive and well, and running better than ever since Andy at Lund Machine Company sleeved the slide in my Monobloc. I got out for a short ride today, and thought I'd update a couple things.

Back in 2015, I started this thread by taking some pictures around Central Illinois as I was cruising around on my Triumph. In the first post of the thread, I included a few pictures near the Cruger Grain Elevator, which I'll repeat here -- followed by an update:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As sometimes happens at grain elevators, there was a dust explosion and fire on July 30 this year that made some changes to the scene, blowing up the dryer (right-most section shown above) and damaging the adjacent concrete bin. A security camera at a business across the road captured the explosion. Fortunately, it happened early enough in the morning that no one was at work and therefore no one was injured. I tried to embed the video, but I think you'll need to follow the link to YouTube and watch it there. They have it disabled for other sites:

The explosion was strong enough to rattle my buddy's shop about six miles away. For a while, the road past the elevator was shut down as they cleared the scene, but they are open again for business. Harvest is underway and the grain trucks are hauling in corn. Here is what I saw there today, where a contractor was still working to demolish the damaged part of the structure:

[Linked Image]

When I went by there a couple days ago, this high hoe was reaching clear up toward the top of the damaged section to bring down the rubble. It was still nearly full height at that time. I didn't have a camera with me then, but here is the machine parked on-site, with the knuckle boom folded up:

[Linked Image]

Today it looked like this operator was sorting out the rebar from the concrete rubble.

[Linked Image]

There was another big pile across the road, along with a string of cars on the siding displaying the graffiti artists' work:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The EMD switcher was still sitting there, off to the west:

[Linked Image]

Another picture from back in May of 2015 was this shot I took at Eureka Lake:

[Linked Image]

That doesn't look exactly the same right now either, so I headed over there for a 'now' picture. On the way, I stopped to get a picture of Julia, the TR6R, sitting on an old section of US 24. This curve was dangerously narrow and sharp, so they built a new section just west of this stretch, but left the abandoned section in place. I'm old enough to remember driving on this when it was the actual two lane highway, carrying lots of semi-trucks and cars.

[Linked Image]

So . . . here's what has become of that beautiful lake:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These Canada Geese were stumbling around in the mud flats, wondering who stole their water:

[Linked Image]

This situation is temporary and is part of a guv'mint plan. It seems that a harsh winter in 2013 / 2014 killed off most of the game fish, but the European carp survived. The city and the Department of Natural Resources has teamed up to fix all that. By pulling the plug on the dam, they let the lake drain down and kill all the carp. Next spring, when the lake is once again full of water, they will restock the fish they want, and start all over.

There is some nice, fresh rip rap piled on-site to touch up the bank in places where it needs work.

[Linked Image]

Here's a closer view of the red sign, which was evidently ignored a few times in the past:

[Linked Image]

I couldn't help but wonder if they took in enough fines to cover this process? whistle

Anyhow . . . that's the way it looked today as I was out and about in Illinois. Not good, but this pales in comparison to what Hurricane Florence is doing to the folks on our east coast.

Ray

TR6Ray #749432 09/16/18 10:50 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I've been waiting for this installment. Great stuff, Ray, thanks. And the Triumph is looking as magnificent as ever !

TR6Ray #749491 09/17/18 2:07 pm
Moto Mojo
Online Content
Moto Mojo
Ray, nice to see you again! That explosion was wild. I knew grain silos and elevators did that periodically, but never knew it'd explode in "still" moments, I thought it always happened during work when things were moving.
I'm glad no-one was on site at the time, could have been a sad day for the community.
Anyways, thanks for posting, bike's lookin GOOD!

TR6Ray #777489 06/28/19 3:23 pm
TR6Ray Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Every Sunday, a bunch of us ride to breakfast (some call it "Bike Church"), and we pass by a spot where an old tree was cut down. What makes it noticeable is that they left a pretty tall stump there and let it weather for quite a while till the bark fell off. Some might call that an eyesore, but others may think of it as a blank canvas waiting for some artwork. Maybe you have read the quote from Michelangelo, "The sculpture is already complete within the marble block, before I start my work. It is already there, I just have to chisel away the superfluous material." Some artists rough cut the superfluous material with a chain saw before they finish up with finer tools, and that is what happened here. I got the '64 TR6R out for a while yesterday, and took the camera along to get some pictures of the old tree.

The first thing to notice is the bald eagle on top:

[Linked Image from tr6ray.zenfolio.com]

But there is more if you look closer:

Anybody like black Labrador retrievers?

And on the other side, a wise old owl is perched on what is left of his tree branch:

I also like the way the artist signed his work with the tip of his chain saw, an autograph that is rather artistic in its own right:

While I was at it, I remembered another carving about 25 miles further south. It was a fantastic summer riding day, so I went on down the road and got a couple pictures of that one too. It is more of a totem pole at the driveway entrance to a farm:

And then a blast back home on the old Triumph.

She's running well; everything is working; it was a great day to be out and about in Illinois.

TR6Ray #777528 06/29/19 2:24 am
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Nice day and nice pictures.

If I'd had the chainsaw, there would have been nothing but dust and splinters left. How those guys can control a saw like they do is way beyond me ...

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
TR6Ray #777541 06/29/19 12:25 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Nice day for a ride.
Sure like that Triumph.

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125
TR6Ray #777554 06/29/19 6:05 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
RAY! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

Offer for lunch again in Elburn still stands, if you get up here!

Irish Swede #777568 06/29/19 10:09 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Always a welcome sight is your fine TR6 Ray. She’s a honey!

66 TR6R Trophy
67 T120R Bonneville
68 BMW R60/US
69 T100R Daytona
91 Honda ST1100
TR6Ray #777625 06/30/19 3:50 pm
Moto Mojo
Online Content
Moto Mojo
Hi Ray, thanks for posting the pics! Love that bike, man.
Cheers.
Tom

TR6Ray #777655 07/01/19 12:59 am
TR6Ray Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Lannis, Konon, Irish, Dave, Tom, thanks for the comments. It's nice to hear from you long term stalwarts of the BritBike forum. Irish Swede, if I don't make it back up to Elburn this summer, I'll look you up at Davenport.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership