BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
oilyrag
oilyrag
Lancashire UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mark Chapman, JacksMacnLE, Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi
10864 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 167
DavidP 69
reverb 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,019,972 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,806
Posts680,463
Members10,864
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
67 registered members (1958superrocket), 693 guests, and 1,072 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Albion gearbox internals #777406 06/27/19 2:20 pm
B
Bigdook Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Hello all,
I have a set of gears and shafts for a 4 speed Albion gearbox which I think is for a Royal Enfield.
I have checked the various on line spares manuals but cannot match up the number of gear teeth with the illustrations. All the parts look the same but the teeth count is different. It possibly a trials gear set?
This is what I have:-
Main shaft 17t,21t,26t,30t. Lay shaft 31t,27t,22t,18t.
Any ideas?
Cheers BD

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Albion gearbox internals [Re: Bigdook] #777615 06/30/19 2:34 pm
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Hello BD, There is a chart for gears in Albion 'boxes in Service Bulletin #1 (reprinted by Gene Shillingford and Sons of Philadelphia, Cooper Motors of L.A. in March 1963, and the REOC in a year end publication signed by Paul and Jane, if that helps identify an edition of The Gun for folks to get their own copies.) The closest match I can find is the "H" series of gears in the older gearboxes. These are finer toothed gears that were superseded by coarser "HG" gears around 1959 as engine power increased. The counts in the list are: mainshaft 18, 21/25, 30; and layshaft 30, 27, 23, 18. The simple, straight gears seem to lend themselves to varying the tooth counts. I acquired a collection of ex-dealer spares that includes many NOS gears with oddball counts. I have no information at hand on the gear counts in the unit construction 250 Crusader series, but expect you would find that on HMC's site.

Off your topic, I note your address and will be in Kirkcaldy from mid-August to early September. I am looking for RE and old bike connections, and hoping to find some trials events to watch.
Chris Overton, Rossland, BC, Canada [email protected]

Re: Albion gearbox internals [Re: Bigdook] #777621 06/30/19 3:24 pm
David Dunfey Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I know that the "H" series of boxes has a No. 13 box where those are exactly the same tooth counts. This box was considered a standard ratio for trials bikes.

As you may know, the gear material selected for these boxes was substandard. Hard use will break teeth.

David

Re: Albion gearbox internals [Re: David Dunfey] #777688 07/01/19 2:36 pm
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Hard use will break teeth alright, but it is hard to fault the materials used. Increasing horsepower is the culprit. The H series 'boxes came into use when hp was in the low 20's. The 'boxes and clutches stood up well. Improving fuels and engine design soon created more power, which was accommodated by using heavier teeth. Those gearboxes stood up to 750 Interceptor's 49 hp in hard racing conditions, and they stood up in Shell Thuet's Fury's. Straight cut gears are crude, and cheap, as they had to be then. Fault the choice of gear style if you like, as straight cut gears do not spread the load over several teeth.

David, do you have a catalogue or resource material for Albion gearboxes? This is the first I have heard of a No. 13, having always used the letter prefixes to the serial numbers to differentiate gearboxes.

Re: Albion gearbox internals [Re: Chris Overton] #778065 07/07/19 8:27 am
B
Bigdook Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Thanks for the info chaps. I will try and upload a photo.
I'll see if there are any classic trials events and get back to you Chris.
Cheers

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership