BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Stephen Benson
Stephen Benson
Cheshire UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
GoTriples, Jan Hellinge, Lucas Barwick, NTB31, B. Hunt
10827 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 140
NickL 75
reverb 61
DavidP 60
Popular Topics(Views)
974,282 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,394
Posts677,439
Members10,827
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
82 registered members (Adam M.), 449 guests, and 801 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? #776680 06/17/19 6:46 pm
J
Jon Fredheim Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
I have an original Spitfire GRP fuel tank that has not been used for the last twenty years.
In Norway the pump fuel has 5% ethanol in it and I think it will be necessary to treat the tank internally with a lining coat to avoid deterioraton before I fit it on a bike again.
Which product should I use?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776682 06/17/19 7:10 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
POR15 is a great product but I’ve never used it on a fibreglass tank, there are other ethanol proof also.

Main thing is the preparation as with any project. Doesn’t matter how good the liner is if the adhesion to the tank isn’t good. Also a good tip is to leave the tank upside down once you’ve finished and drawn as much excess as possible out. This will stop any pooling at the bottom of the tank where the fuel will be sat.

beerchug
Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776684 06/17/19 7:43 pm
M
MarcB Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
M
Caswell has a product that is supposed to work with fiberglass but I did not have any luck with it. It shrunk and pulled away from the surface, cracking in the process. Once it cracks, there is not good way to remove it and the tank is, essentially, worthless at that point.

My recommendation, which is what I plan on doing: use the glass tank for show and get a separate tank for riding.

Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776688 06/17/19 7:57 pm
R
Rich B Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
R
Getting a reproduction tank for riding is likely the best suggestion. Keep the original for show. \

But if you must use the original, fiberglass is not easy to seal well. Some sealer companies will say "Do Not Use In Fiberglass Motorcycle Tanks", others will say their product will save the world. But not always, as Marc has found out.

I had to save a Bultaco tank. Fiberglass and no replacements or reproductions available.

I tried KBS Coatings kit for motorcycle fuel tanks. The actual product is a urethane that goes on very thin, but is claimed to be flexible with the tank. Preparing the tank according to their directions is crucial. I have 1 year on the Bul tank, including leaving fuel in it with no issues.

The KBS is not cheap, but does seem to work in my limited experience. I have a steel tank I am doing now then several more Bul tanks.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776690 06/17/19 8:11 pm
Boomer Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Jon Fredheim
I have an original Spitfire GRP fuel tank

Thought I knew my BSA's but I don't recognize the "GRP" model?

Bill B...

Okay, I'm new to these tanks referred to as "glass reinforced plastic". I thought that was the wall covering product used in commercial kitchens but not fiberglass fuel tanks.

Last edited by Boomer; 06/25/19 2:46 pm. Reason: explanation

Boomer
Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776692 06/17/19 8:32 pm
A
Airman49 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
Hello Jon,
I have a Spitfire with the fibreglass tank. Living in Norway and I use only Shell 98 V-power or Esso 98. Both of these fuels does not contain ethanol.

Best regards Gunnar

Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776701 06/17/19 10:08 pm
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
The best way is to line them with aluminium..............

Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776704 06/17/19 10:29 pm
gunner Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I've used several tank sealers for both steel and fiberglass (GRP) tanks over the years and my thoughts are as follows:-
- use a replica steel tank if at all possible, original fiberglass tanks are getting hard to find or already ruined
- use Shell 98 V-power or Esso 98 ethanol free petrol if available as mentioned above. This is good advise but problematic in some countries such as the UK where ethanol free Esso 98 is only available in some parts of the country.
- POR 15 tank sealer doesn;t work on fiberglass tanks according to This Link but its a good product on steel tanks
- in the UK I've previously used a product called Sureseal Titanium on fiberglass tanks which has stood the test of time on my 2 gallon A65 tank for over 8 years. You need to ensure careful removal of any old sealant and petrol residue for success, see This Link, This is a 2 part Novolac Epoxy, in-case they won't ship outside the UK suggest you try Caswell.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776731 06/18/19 3:42 am
L
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
About a week ago I used the Caswell in about my 7th or 8th Hornet/Spitfire glass tank. I dislike doing it, makes me nervous as hell and I wish they didn't have to be sealed at all. But.....I have a 100 percent success rate with this stuff.They all hold fuel, at least 15 years on the first ones I did.

Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776739 06/18/19 6:11 am
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
POR
PAINT OVER RUST.
It needs tightly bonded rust in order to cure the furane resin and make a chemical bond to the steel.
As such it will not work on anything else other than aluminium but the latter takes a lot of prep in order to remove the free water usually contained within oxidized aluminium.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776753 06/18/19 1:56 pm
E
edunham Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
E
Years ago I did my US spec fiberglass tank with Caswells. It didn't work because even though I let the tank sit for two weeks after running their prep solution in it, it wasn't sufficiently dry when I poured the coating solution in. I took it to a local fiberglass expert. His theory was that the coatings and the tanks have different coefficients of expansion and a thick coating is therefore asking for trouble. He cut the bottom out of the tank using a utility knife along the seams. Took about 5 minutes. He then cleaned up the inside of the tank real well, scored it, and painted the interior sides with Caswell's with a brush in a thin uniform layer. When that dried, he re-glassed the bottom to the top, and used a syringe and a hose to lay additional Caswells along the seam. Worked quite well. A few years later, I got a leak where a cable adjuster fretted the tank. The guy repaired it and it was fine. I was concerned about more more ethanol in gas though and ended up buying a metal reproduction. The original is sitting on the shelf. The fiberglass guy moved and I haven't been able to locate him.

Ed from NJ

Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: edunham] #776769 06/18/19 4:02 pm
R
Rich B Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
R
Originally Posted by edunham
Years ago The fiberglass guy moved and I haven't been able to locate him. Ed from NJ

Either his rent was due or he is in witness protection program

laughing

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776904 06/20/19 2:18 am
P
PFribley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
I have used bill harsh on my 67 spit tank. It can be used on fiberglass. He also has a tank cleaner I used. Worked good for me. The harsh people will ship overseas.

Re: Which fuel tank liner for Spitfire GRP? [Re: Jon Fredheim] #776910 06/20/19 4:11 am
L
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
I also like that Hirsch sealer, it's my first choice on a metal tank. But I'm sticking with Caswell on the glass.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor