BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
MrBean
MrBean
Tasmanian Devil country
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider
10862 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 167
DavidP 69
reverb 61
NickL 53
Popular Topics(Views)
1,018,430 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,800
Posts680,409
Members10,862
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (Andytheflyer), 334 guests, and 873 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How many miles before a valve job is necessary? #776791 06/18/19 9:52 pm
J
joepenoso Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
How many miles before a valve job is necessary?
Thanks
joepenoso

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776799 06/18/19 11:19 pm
HawaiianTiger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Back in the leaded fuel days, a decoke was done about every 5k miles. At that time, I always lapped the valves. I got power back each time I did it. So, the answer is something like when you motor starts to feel anemic or has other problems. For me, the proliferation of oil leaks was a huge incentive to pull the top end and do everything at once.
However, my friends's '69 TR6 was running fine at 12K miles with no attention at all.
So....depends. Do a compression test or leak down test for the best answer. That should tell you if you need it.
Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776838 06/19/19 12:16 pm
T
Tigernuts Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
I've just had the top end off my TR7 at around 13000 miles. The only reason I took it apart was to try to fix the persistent oil-burning issue, which I reckoned was down to poor quality oil rings (I was ripped off when buying them and didn't know it at the time, but that's another story). The engine was still running very nicely, though I had noticed it was slightly down on power. The exhaust valves were a very nice fit in the guides but the inlets were a bit sloppy. The exhaust valves had clearly been running red hot but they were still seating well.

The valves were G&S (good quality) but I can't remember what the guides were - I have a feeling I got them from the same source as the dodgy rings, so nothing special. But in terms of wear, they are surprisingly good.

From memory, when I had T140s a long time ago, (when I was terrible for neglecting them and thrashing them), I think I;d expect to need to look at the heads after about 10000 miles, and I'd expect performance to have dropped right off if nothing was done until 20000.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776840 06/19/19 12:39 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
What Bill and Tigernuts says is pretty accurate in my opinion...If the bike was ridden agressively the guides might be shot by 12,000 miles...And in the USA I think it was rare to see a Triumph with standard size pistons by 25,000 miles.... Maybe today the engine might last longer with the pussy riders who are afraid to rev the engine over over 4000 rpm... grin

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776860 06/19/19 6:27 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Funny you should say that(about pussy riders) as my friend rode his TR6 like it was made of glass. He would NOT ride it over 50mph.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776862 06/19/19 7:00 pm
S
scott garland Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Here in Southern California riding under 80 mph would be so nice. Have to hit the two lane to stay under 55-60. If you are on the freeway and under 80 in the slow land you will find a Lexus up your ass.

Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: HawaiianTiger] #776868 06/19/19 8:45 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger
Funny you should say that(about pussy riders) as my friend rode his TR6 like it was made of glass. He would NOT ride it over 50mph.

Cheers,
Bill

Did his engine last longer? I think the worst abuse is riders who start a cold engine , rev the snot out it and roar off before the engine oil has warmed up some.I ride like a pussy until the engine is warm...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776870 06/19/19 8:54 pm
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
My bike made it to ~20K before I replaced valves and guides. It was running, but not well. In many ways, these old bikes are like lawn mower engines and can take amazing abuse. In other ways, if your tolerances or specs are a couple of thou out......Ka-Boom!

Let's not forget the p**sy riders who lug (a)n (cold) engine at 2000K up a steep incline.....

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776871 06/19/19 9:15 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by joepenoso
How many miles before a valve job is necessary?
Thanks
joepenoso

Why is this question being asked in all the manufacturer specific forums??? Different makes didn’t necessarily use the same grade of metal for the seat so where they would last a while on one make, they might suffer with unleaded fuel on another..... so what bike do you have?

beerchug
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776877 06/19/19 9:39 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P**sy, LOL, just say it.......Lugging.....I was riding around and slowed to 2000 rpm in high gear on level ground on my T140...and just to do it, I rolled open the throttle slowly and keep rolling as the bike picked up speed..It was really seamless like hydraulic power and accelerated faster than you might think..The engine didn't feel or sound stressed....Not that I did it again but I can see how some riders may feel it's ok to do it ....

Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776886 06/19/19 10:59 pm
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
Pussy! Wow, that felt good.... LOL

Done that too, Tony. Far cry from low RPM's under load and twisting the throttle in anger on a grade....so many variables here, the OP could just as easily ask "how long is a piece of string".

Steve

'77 T140J

Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: Allan Gill] #776887 06/19/19 11:03 pm
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by Allan Gill

Why is this question being asked in all the manufacturer specific forums??? Different makes didn’t necessarily use the same grade of metal for the seat so where they would last a while on one make, they might suffer with unleaded fuel on another..... so what bike do you have?

Wow, JUST noticed that! Someone planning a spam attack, or just an impatient user REALLY wanting an answer quickly?

You're one of the Green Guys, time to open an inquiry! laugh

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J

Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: JubeePrince] #776924 06/20/19 6:31 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by JubeePrince
Originally Posted by Allan Gill

Wow, JUST noticed that! Someone planning a spam attack, or just an impatient user REALLY wanting an answer quickly?

You're one of the Green Guys, time to open an inquiry! laugh

Cheers,

Steve

Did cross my mind. The OP hasn’t responded on any board he’s posted on. I’ve moved the BSA posting of this to the BMIG board, I think they can all be merged into one

beerchug
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: Hillbilly bike] #776928 06/20/19 8:16 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger

Cheers,
Bill

Did his engine last longer? I think the worst abuse is riders who start a cold engine , rev the snot out it and roar off before the engine oil has warmed up some.I ride like a pussy until the engine is warm...

I've been know to yell and scold people who do that.
Especially if they expect me to pick up the pieces.
Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: joepenoso] #776962 06/20/19 9:25 pm
D
dave jones Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
D

I have done over 30, 000 miles on some new guides and a grind in. I didn't need to recut the seats because the old valves were still a bit wobbly in the guides. It bombs along pretty well still. I think I have squeezed a lot out of the ancient valves now so would ideally like to get a proper job done. The rings have a little more on them than this. When I kick the bike over slowly when cold there are a few hissing sounds from here and there!

Dave

Last edited by dave jones; 06/20/19 9:33 pm.
Re: How many miles before a valve job is necessary? [Re: dave jones] #776976 06/21/19 6:41 am
S
Stein Roger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by dave jones

I have done over 30, 000 miles on some new guides and a grind in. I didn't need to recut the seats because the old valves were still a bit wobbly in the guides. It bombs along pretty well still. I think I have squeezed a lot out of the ancient valves now so would ideally like to get a proper job done. The rings have a little more on them than this. When I kick the bike over slowly when cold there are a few hissing sounds from here and there!

Dave

That's the beauty of these old things, they will go pretty good even when worn. But you'll be surprised at how lively it becomes once you've had the proper job done!

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership