BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
aprophet
aprophet
Chesapeake Virginia
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Roddy Walsh, Mark Creighton, Alex Lynch, B Mac, Lenz-a-lot
10776 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 126
NickL 64
MarcB 52
DavidP 51
Popular Topics(Views)
949,352 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,507
Posts675,752
Members10,776
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (998John), 395 guests, and 766 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Electric Scooters #775693 06/05/19 3:10 pm
R
rick e. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
There are everywhere. The stand-up two wheel type that you can rent. I'm talking about 2000 that are out and about per our newspaper.

Must admit, I'm thinking about taking one for a spin.

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775696 06/05/19 4:16 pm
Dom Froesch Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I rode them all over in San Diego, had a blast zipping around. they can do 15mph max and cost 0.15/min. I had way too much fun but doubt they'll stay around long because of people leaving them all over disrespectfully

Dominique Froesch Jr
Sales and Marketing
Like us on Facebook to get the most current parts news:
https://www.facebook.com/JRCEngineeringInc/
JRC Engineering Inc
3110 Indian Ave Ste E
Perris, California 92571
USA
jrcengineering.com
800-634-3250 Toll free
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775701 06/05/19 5:07 pm
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
In the area of central LA they brought in the electric scooters parking was scarce and it gave people a way to get around cheap. But then, because of the "demographic" of the area the scooters were vandalized or stolen. To make money the scooters had to remain in service for 180 days to break even. They lasted on average less than 120. All the scooters were removed from the area so now it is back to walking or circling for a parking space. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775711 06/05/19 7:21 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
You've got to have a trust-based, basically law-abiding society for a scheme like that to work. Otherwise, you're back into a dog-eat-dog world.

Some parts of the country are still OK. Others, including that one, are not, and they're on a slide back into barbarity, complete with crime, poop-and-needle-covered streets, and "why can't we have nice things?" .....

It's a shame, because sharing urban bikes or scooters is a good idea for getting around in a crowded city ...

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775714 06/05/19 7:50 pm
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Are the electric scooters licensed?

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775718 06/05/19 8:09 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
DC has em. Kinda like skateboards with steering/handlebars. Unlike city bike rentals, it seems you don't have to tock them and unlock them from or back into a rack. I often see them sort of leaning all over the place.

Seems almost like a good idea (car and bicycle sharing/rental) run amok.

When I was in Rome last November, my sister, who has no car, had an "app" on her phone for a car sharing service who owns a bunch of little, bright red Fiat 500s. Find a car using the app, near you, reserve it, use the app to open the doors, insert key, drive to location, leave the car locked for someone else.

Enjoy Car

It was brilliant- unlike the CityBike branded bike rentals, where you HAVE to check the bike back into lock-rack every 20 or so minutes. Also unlike the scooter rental thing where you just dump the scooter wherever.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775720 06/05/19 8:25 pm
R
raf940 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
what's an app?

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: Hillbilly bike] #775723 06/05/19 9:40 pm
R
rick e. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike

Not yet. It seems the rules and regulation for these scooters are changing all the time...

----THE CLASH-----

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775725 06/05/19 10:13 pm
R
rick e. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Not yet. But the rules and regulation for these scooters are changing all the time.

----THE CLASH-----

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775726 06/05/19 10:54 pm
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
"app" - appurtenance or any word between apotheosis and apricot. If it is too big of a word to spell it out then they should not be using it.

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: DMadigan] #775727 06/05/19 11:02 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by DMadigan
"app" - appurtenance or any word between apotheosis and apricot. If it is too big of a word to spell it out then they should not be using it.

Sort of like people saying they went to see a performance of "Les Mis". Just learn how to say "Les Miserables" .... and the nurse says that I can just call my surgeon "Dr. G" if I want. No; out of respect for the doctor, I call him "Dr. Guglielmetti". It is not that hard to do it right.

Lannis

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775752 06/06/19 11:18 am
68 royalstar tony Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Was just in Vienna, they were all over the place, and a lot of people were using them and leaving them on street corners. Guess they pick them up at night to charge them.

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: Lannis] #775757 06/06/19 12:22 pm
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis

Sort of like people saying they went to see a performance of "Les Mis". Just learn how to say "Les Miserables" .... and the nurse says that I can just call my surgeon "Dr. G" if I want. No; out of respect for the doctor, I call him "Dr. Guglielmetti". It is not that hard to do it right.

Lannis

I dislike the naming down of trained professionals, sounds childish...I address the doctor and dentist as "Doctor"... But I do call an App for what it is, an App... just like a call a motorcycle a bike ,a telephone a phone and the television a TV...

On the scooters, I know nothing about them living in a rural area where local hillbillies would rather use an ATV for short trips to pick a pizza.... Did any of you ever carry a pizza while riding a motorcycle?

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: Hillbilly bike] #775763 06/06/19 1:06 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker

Lannis

I dislike the naming down of trained professionals, sounds childish...I address the doctor and dentist as "Doctor"... But I do call an App for what it is, an App... just like a call a motorcycle a bike ,a telephone a phone and the television a TV...

You're right about the abbreviations; we use them all the time. Some of them, though, I choose not to use in places where it sounds lazy or ostentatious. And even when I'm texting someone, I type it out. "Are you planning to be here soon?" doesn't turn into "R U planning 2 B hr soon?" Just a personal preference.

Lannis

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: Hillbilly bike] #775853 06/07/19 3:33 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo

Lannis

On the scooters, I know nothing about them living in a rural area where local hillbillies would rather use an ATV for short trips to pick a pizza.... Did any of you ever carry a pizza while riding a motorcycle?

1: I carry pizza whilst riding a motorcycle- IN MY STOMACH! laughing I Also carry beer in much the same fashion.

2: *app* = application, pronounced @pp-leh-CAY-shun.

3: this "shortening" of words and names comes, methinks, form the "tech sector", where everything is abbreviated for speed and efficiency. An early example of this, sort of pre tech, may be seen in such like as KFC.

4: I personally prefer "Lay Miz" over Les Miserables simply because that particular show is one of the most miserable things I can possibly imagine- and Lay Miz dulls the pain considerably.

Back to you, L & HB & DM laugh

Last edited by ricochetrider; 06/07/19 3:34 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #775855 06/07/19 3:46 pm
kevin roberts Online Content
DOPE
Online Content
DOPE
Originally Posted by raf940
what's an app?

"app" is short for "application"

a computer program that is designed for a specific purpose

as in

https://www-01.ibm.com/servers/reso...s/zOSV2R3SC236878/$file/icea100_v2r3.pdf

^^ i was the tech writer on release 10 of that book

in a previous life

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: kevin roberts] #775866 06/07/19 7:00 pm
Q
quinten Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Q

Dont know which Earth City you are referring to .
But in General , The ride share model is evolving... bicycles , scooters, cars ...
Grab those electric scooters while you can .

"Some cities" see scooters as ... not for sidewalks ( sidewalks are for pedestrians )
... this pushes you , legally anyway , into
Bicycle Lanes and motor vehicle traffic . ( is this where you want to be on a scooter ? )
Remember to Respect the pedestrian ... even if the luv is not returned .
( you're the new kid on the Block )

I won't go so far as to recommend a helmet and gloves ... just remember asphalt can be hard on bones
and abrasive on soft tissue .

I read that in some places ... the electric scooters are serviced by Freelancers ... anyone who wants to do the job .
uses the gps function of the app . ... to locate and pick up scooters to recharge and then re-disperse at key areas .

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #776574 06/16/19 7:19 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The scooters took hold in Nashville just before I moved. Pedestrians run off the sidewalk, scooters hit by cars (usually when the scooter rider refused to act as any other vehicle and yield at intersections.)
Knoxville recently caught the scooter craze. The city is passing a new law about riding while drunk. Who would have thought that folks would use these things to go bar hopping!??
Don't know why they need a new law, in Tennessee you can get a DUI on a bicycle, or a lawnmower (just ask George Jones laughing )

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #776577 06/16/19 7:42 am
W
Wilfred Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
W
my only problem with electric scooters is almost being killed or injured by one more than once......coming off a building site I was photographing, looking to the left for oncoming traffic and all but being run down by an electric scooter tearing along on the left side of the road......then walking along the sidewalk when a young woman decides the sidewalk is her road and all but hitting me in the process.....as I understand it, the users of these have no licence or insurance as they are classified as bicycles and it's not required.....

Golly Gee......W

"It's about the ride..."
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #776605 06/16/19 4:41 pm
Don Leaming Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Lots of electric scooters here in Niagara. Often used by people who have lost their drivers licence due to dui. Nobody follows the rules of the road. The best are a bunch who hang out at the bus stop in a sketchy part of town, dressed in Harley uniforms. Leather with fringe, doo rags, fingerless glove, unshaven and needing a bath To funny for words!

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #776955 06/20/19 6:36 pm
D
Dibnah Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Has anyone fitted a 125cc scrambler bike engine to an electric scooter?

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #776967 06/20/19 11:57 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
Injuries to untrained riders of these scooters are already being reported.
Enough injuries, deaths and lawsuits, and the scooters will be gone.

Illinois allowed small motorcycles to be rented by the hour back in 1965-66. Because of the subsequent numbers of accidents, injuries and deaths, the state soon made this business illegal.

Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #776972 06/21/19 4:53 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
But, this is 'Merica, we'll do anything to make a buck, at least until it becomes obvious how stupid it is.
As Churchill observed, "The Americans can be counted on to do the right thing, once they've tried everything else."

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: rick e.] #777026 06/22/19 4:44 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The scooters are pretty much on the way out in Nashville. Somebody finally got killed.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Electric Scooters [Re: DavidP] #777043 06/22/19 5:38 pm
Q
quinten Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Q
The scooters are pretty much on the way out in Nashville. Somebody finally got killed.

The guy was drunk ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership