BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown
10860 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 180
reverb 64
DavidP 63
NickL 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,006,072 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,756
Posts680,015
Members10,860
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
62 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 484 guests, and 660 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ign question #776231 06/12/19 12:02 pm
B
bill50cal Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
who on here has experience with the Boyer micro power or micro digital ign. systems and what if any issues or positives with it.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776240 06/12/19 2:03 pm
L.A.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Not a British bike (a BMW R75/7) but the Micro-Digital was noticeably better than the Boyer MkIII unit it replaced and is still working what must be about 25 years later.

Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776250 06/12/19 5:13 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I have 2 bikes with the Red box Micro-digital, both run well, boxes must be 20 odd years old. The idle stabilisation is good at making sure the bike does not stall when stopping for red lights etc. There is a significant difference in timing between boxes so as soon as its fitted on the default timing strobe and adjust.

Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776420 06/14/19 3:19 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Windy I put my 2 cents on the BB MK-4 today down on the Triumph section. I'm satisfied with the product

Re: ign question [Re: bodine031] #776490 06/15/19 12:31 pm
B
bill50cal Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
thanks for the answer BUT the MK4 is not the same as the micro series of ign's

Originally Posted by bodine031
Windy I put my 2 cents on the BB MK-4 today down on the Triumph section. I'm satisfied with the product

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776496 06/15/19 1:54 pm
triton thrasher Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by bill50cal
who on here has experience with the boyer micro power or micro digital ign. systems and what if any issues or positives with it.

If you haven’t already found bad reviews of the Micro Power, you haven’t done your homework.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776675 06/17/19 4:57 pm
mikelucas Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
BSA A10 with K2F SRM/Boyer conversion. Blue box Boyer I think. I spent many years converting old marine engines to electronic ignition and have always found the engines to idle/run and start smoother then points. I love points in how they are classic engineering and are easy to work on and diagnose. But technology has it's place, and I'm comfortable trading off on the potential for a circuit board to fail. I only had two issues, one caused by a bad crimp on one of the leads, and the other on a 5 year old battery that was intermittently dropping below 11 volts. So not the Boyer's fault. Some notes I would add. Make sure the charging system and battery are in tip top shape, per Boyer you can go with a larger plug gap-with me they said .028-.032, check timing immediately after install and if possible set timing using a strobe/degree wheel set-up.

So yes, very happy with this ignition system and would recommend based on my experiences

Re: ign question [Re: mikelucas] #776709 06/17/19 11:18 pm
B
bill50cal Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
just an FYI. this is not my first rodeo as i have used the rita, trispark and pazon sure fire on these bikes. i am looking for feed back on the MICRO red box units as Boyer claims idle stabilization where the pazon sure fire and MK 3 and 4 blue box does not. I am also familiar with the low voltage issues on the older analog units and battery and poor charging issues. i am asking because of the high failure rates i have had and witnessed with the trispark . it is good at holding a solid idle and runs great till it fails but i want something more reliable than this shake and bake ign.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776717 06/18/19 12:33 am
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
The 'Micro-Power' unit is a digital controller based on a small microprocessor, the timing
curve is modified to give an 'advance' feature at around 1000rpm it to help prevent cutting
out at idle when pulling up hard or similar. The curve is more linear than the analog types.
I have an a65 in my workshop at the moment which has one fitted, it works very well.
You do need resistor plug caps or leads to use one though as most processor based units
will pick up radiated emi etc and this will play havoc with the cpu clock, causing erratic timing etc.
Fully shrouding/screening the device is always difficult but with resistor leads or caps it's ok.

Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776833 06/19/19 11:22 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
To add to Nicks statement the Pazon surefire is an analogue instrument which is why it doesn’t have idle stabilisation. However the Altair is digital and equivalent to the red box and does have idle stabilisation. The smart fire is equal to their blue box system with micro low impedance coils.

beerchug
Re: ign question [Re: Allan Gill] #776885 06/19/19 10:55 pm
B
bill50cal Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Onca again just more info that I already know. As the original post i am looking for real world experience with the digital Boyer.
Originally Posted by Allan Gill
To add to Nicks statement the Pazon surefire is an analogue instrument which is why it doesn’t have idle stabilisation. However the Altair is digital and equivalent to the red box and does have idle stabilisation. The smart fire is equal to their blue box system with micro low impedance coils.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776891 06/19/19 11:22 pm
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
In short........
The owner of the bike in my workshop says it's very good and has been on the bike for 10+ years.

Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776923 06/20/19 6:22 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
i am looking for feed back on the MICRO red box units as boyer claims idle stabilization where the pazon sure fire and MK 3 and 4 blue box does not.

Was just highlighting the point you made in this statement, made it seem like you didn’t know about the Altair as you made a direct comparable with the surefire.

Onca again just more info that I already know. As the original post i am looking for real world experience with the digital Boyer.
Originally Posted by Allan Gill

beerchug
Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776932 06/20/19 11:27 am
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Idle stabilization?. So the ignition jacks up the advance a bit to keep the idle steady? What is the reason for stalling after a stop? I have not expereinced this on properly tuned engine...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: ign question [Re: Hillbilly bike] #776934 06/20/19 12:30 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Idle stabilization?. So the ignition jacks up the advance a bit to keep the idle steady? What is the reason for stalling after a stop? I have not expereinced this on properly tuned engine...

Yup it does, like you I've never had this problem, but its a good sales point to those that want it.

Attached Files Pazon Altair Ignition curve.JPG

beerchug
Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776964 06/20/19 11:25 pm
B
bill50cal Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
i do know about the altair and again i have no experience with it either. one of the members on access is having kick back issues with his and waiting to see what he finds out about it. another reason i am looking at the micro digital is cost vs the micro power and altair along with the micro power using different coils.

HB the trispark with idle stablisation is a god send at hiding slightly worn carbs or other issues. with it you can have a rock solid idle at 1000 RPM. i removed a trispark after the third one failed, held a rock solid idle and with nothing changed but to a pazon sure fire it will not hold a consistent idle. and yes i am more than likely in need of new carbs but that is another issue i will deal with later.

windy
72 combat
switchbackcreek.com
Re: ign question [Re: bill50cal] #776975 06/21/19 6:23 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Never had any kick back with mine when running the Altair. The only problem I had was the block where you screw the wires into on the board had a break or a poorly soldered joint, being about a year in from it’s 7.5 year warranty I contacted Andy at Pazon and he suggested I tried soldering the wires directly to the tracks. Soon as I touched the track with the soldering iron they peeled off the board so I reverted back to the surefire. If it wasn’t for that I was impressed with the ignition, the same board is used on the true fire ignition and that’s been spot on for many many years.

Any kick back is ultimately a carb issue, slides being too high or mixture too weak, I’ve had mine well over advanced and unless you open the throttle it won’t kick back with 10:1 compression.

beerchug

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership