BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
furymalc
furymalc
northern B.C.Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Kevin Victor, Soupdragon, Gabby, LostMarfbles, Bill Davis
10736 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 124
DavidP 58
reverb 57
Rohan 51
Popular Topics(Views)
923,533 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,161
Posts673,073
Members10,736
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (998John), 240 guests, and 786 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? #776328
06/13/19 3:50 pm
06/13/19 3:50 pm
Kansas, America
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Mister B  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Kansas, America
Hi Folks-
Been a while since I was on the forum. Cars, house maintainence and work get in the way of my bikes sometimes. Revolting concept! Finally went and did it- after 40 years of lusting and 20 years of actively watching I got a Rapide! Wanted a Shadow but I can't justify that for riding out to the blacktop on the sand road then dodging the deer while heading for town. Figured I'd better do it while I have enough leg and hip to start the machine! One thing glared out at me though- when pulling the plugs for a look see and cleaning-- they are iridiums! Of course this varies from what the owner's handbook says but here's a question- Is iridium a good choice? If not, what is the most accepted modern plug choice for a Rapide in good order but not squeaky fresh? The guys at the parts counters here in the middle of Kansas already look at me as if I just fell to Earth when I look for parts for obscure British stuff, cars and bikes but I think the word "Vincent" would have them running to their smartphone for warmth and security. Though it best if I just asked the gurus on here.
Thanks in advance for any opinions on this.
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
America

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776359
06/13/19 11:22 pm
06/13/19 11:22 pm
Florida, USA
David Dunfey Offline
BritBike Forum member
David Dunfey  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Florida, USA
Mike,

I have always used NGKs and never had a problem. B6ES or B7ES on the street and B9ES racing. Never had one fail and I never thought I needed better.

Years ago I think I used the Champion N9Y.

David

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: David Dunfey] #776414
06/14/19 2:55 pm
06/14/19 2:55 pm
Pacific northwest
Q
quinten Online content
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Q

Pacific northwest

What ignition ? And what iridium ?

All thing being not equal
Fine wire plugs can aid an old magneto in cold starts
And general reliability .
Its easier to initiate a flame kernel with a thinner electrode .

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776427
06/14/19 5:55 pm
06/14/19 5:55 pm
Kansas, America
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Mister B  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Kansas, America
Thanks for the replies. All I know is British bikes but am brand new to a Vincent and they are different. Frankly, I'm a bit intimidated by it. Surely that will pass. Ignition wise, I'm running a magneto, freshly rebuilt and timed and the plugs are Denso's. Didn't record the number when I had them out.
Funny example of my ignorance on this bike- After it was started for me by the seller so I could hear it, we finished the deal and he went on. Went out to run it to the blacktop and back and spent 15 minutes looking EVERYWHERE for the key! Du Huh!
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
America

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776661
06/17/19 1:56 pm
06/17/19 1:56 pm
Kansas, America
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Mister B  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Kansas, America
Just an update-
Due to the driveway being flooded I haven't had a chance to ride the Vincent since the day I got it. About a couple of months ago. Finally said "Damn the trickle!" (Of water flowing across the driveway) and took it out for a short ride yesterday. 3/4 miles of sand road then a run around the mile section (4 miles) on blacktop then back in on the sand. Starts and runs great! Different world from the Triumphs, Nortons and BSAs that I'm used to! I suppose some of you are clutching your pearls right now but I looked for and bought a Vincent to RIDE. Not to cover in plastic and rub with a diaper once in a while. It's a bitsa but a beauty! Oh, to stay in line with this thread- I put in a new set of NGK's to run on. Old school, yes.
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
America

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776705
06/17/19 10:55 pm
06/17/19 10:55 pm
Mississauga, Ontario.
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adam M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A

Mississauga, Ontario.
Could you describe a difference compare to the bikes you had ?

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776850
06/19/19 3:00 pm
06/19/19 3:00 pm
Kansas, America
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Mister B  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Kansas, America
Hi Adam-
The Vincent has an altogether different feel to it. It's less buzzy than the Truimphs and the torque comes on differently than the 850 Nortons. It feels more substantial than either one, with less of the feeling that you can flick a butt cheek and change lanes and I feel less inclined to toss it into a corner recklessly.
Could be from being new with them or standing in awe of them for so long. The clutch feel is light and lovely. I'm still in the process of dialing in the brake and shifter positioning. No tach is different and that humongous Shadow speedo is really different. ( Yes, it was added on but I REALLY DIG the looks of it.) Gear spacing is really intuitive and the 1 up 3 down is the same as the Nortons so no issues there. The machine has a totally different set of noises that I'm not used to and the headlight moving up and down when you apply the front brake with some fist to it is something else. Having a 2 into 1 exhaust is different for me, I can't turn my head and hear one side or the other. That's all I could gather from a short 5-1/2 mile run. The rain came again with a vengeance so the driveway is flooded again. Might be some time before I can take it out again. Next up- a Ride To Town!

Last edited by Mister B; 06/19/19 9:41 pm. Reason: It's a 4 speed, not a 5 speed
Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776875
06/19/19 9:34 pm
06/19/19 9:34 pm
Mississauga, Ontario.
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adam M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A

Mississauga, Ontario.
Thanks Mike.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership