BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Daniel Boss
Daniel Boss
Johnson City, TN
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown, Snow's Cycles, Scottboy
10858 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 168
reverb 65
quinten 51
NickL 51
Popular Topics(Views)
1,004,947 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,712
Posts679,717
Members10,858
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (Alan_nc), 463 guests, and 907 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? #776328 06/13/19 3:50 pm
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hi Folks-
Been a while since I was on the forum. Cars, house maintainence and work get in the way of my bikes sometimes. Revolting concept! Finally went and did it- after 40 years of lusting and 20 years of actively watching I got a Rapide! Wanted a Shadow but I can't justify that for riding out to the blacktop on the sand road then dodging the deer while heading for town. Figured I'd better do it while I have enough leg and hip to start the machine! One thing glared out at me though- when pulling the plugs for a look see and cleaning-- they are iridiums! Of course this varies from what the owner's handbook says but here's a question- Is iridium a good choice? If not, what is the most accepted modern plug choice for a Rapide in good order but not squeaky fresh? The guys at the parts counters here in the middle of Kansas already look at me as if I just fell to Earth when I look for parts for obscure British stuff, cars and bikes but I think the word "Vincent" would have them running to their smartphone for warmth and security. Though it best if I just asked the gurus on here.
Thanks in advance for any opinions on this.
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
America

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776359 06/13/19 11:22 pm
David Dunfey Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mike,

I have always used NGKs and never had a problem. B6ES or B7ES on the street and B9ES racing. Never had one fail and I never thought I needed better.

Years ago I think I used the Champion N9Y.

David

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: David Dunfey] #776414 06/14/19 2:55 pm
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Q

What ignition ? And what iridium ?

All thing being not equal
Fine wire plugs can aid an old magneto in cold starts
And general reliability .
Its easier to initiate a flame kernel with a thinner electrode .

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776427 06/14/19 5:55 pm
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks for the replies. All I know is British bikes but am brand new to a Vincent and they are different. Frankly, I'm a bit intimidated by it. Surely that will pass. Ignition wise, I'm running a magneto, freshly rebuilt and timed and the plugs are Denso's. Didn't record the number when I had them out.
Funny example of my ignorance on this bike- After it was started for me by the seller so I could hear it, we finished the deal and he went on. Went out to run it to the blacktop and back and spent 15 minutes looking EVERYWHERE for the key! Du Huh!
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
America

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776661 06/17/19 1:56 pm
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Just an update-
Due to the driveway being flooded I haven't had a chance to ride the Vincent since the day I got it. About a couple of months ago. Finally said "Damn the trickle!" (Of water flowing across the driveway) and took it out for a short ride yesterday. 3/4 miles of sand road then a run around the mile section (4 miles) on blacktop then back in on the sand. Starts and runs great! Different world from the Triumphs, Nortons and BSAs that I'm used to! I suppose some of you are clutching your pearls right now but I looked for and bought a Vincent to RIDE. Not to cover in plastic and rub with a diaper once in a while. It's a bitsa but a beauty! Oh, to stay in line with this thread- I put in a new set of NGK's to run on. Old school, yes.
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
America

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776705 06/17/19 10:55 pm
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
Could you describe a difference compare to the bikes you had ?

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776850 06/19/19 3:00 pm
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hi Adam-
The Vincent has an altogether different feel to it. It's less buzzy than the Truimphs and the torque comes on differently than the 850 Nortons. It feels more substantial than either one, with less of the feeling that you can flick a butt cheek and change lanes and I feel less inclined to toss it into a corner recklessly.
Could be from being new with them or standing in awe of them for so long. The clutch feel is light and lovely. I'm still in the process of dialing in the brake and shifter positioning. No tach is different and that humongous Shadow speedo is really different. ( Yes, it was added on but I REALLY DIG the looks of it.) Gear spacing is really intuitive and the 1 up 3 down is the same as the Nortons so no issues there. The machine has a totally different set of noises that I'm not used to and the headlight moving up and down when you apply the front brake with some fist to it is something else. Having a 2 into 1 exhaust is different for me, I can't turn my head and hear one side or the other. That's all I could gather from a short 5-1/2 mile run. The rain came again with a vengeance so the driveway is flooded again. Might be some time before I can take it out again. Next up- a Ride To Town!

Last edited by Mister B; 06/19/19 9:41 pm. Reason: It's a 4 speed, not a 5 speed
Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #776875 06/19/19 9:34 pm
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
Thanks Mike.

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #781572 08/15/19 9:18 pm
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Hi Folks-
To update- I've made several runs to work and back now, about 200 miles. Settling in nicely with the bike. It has some oil leaks. need to take a day or a couple of evenings and remove the fuel tank and address the oil connections one at a time I reckon. Seems like I can snug up the pushrod tubes and inspection caps every time I ride it but they just need it again the next time. Odd. Not torqueing them down hard, just snugging. It's a learning process but I'm in no hurry. Waited this long to have one so a little time in the learning curve is no big deal. Might try the inspection cap/ pcv breather route to slow some of the oil as well. So far, impressed with the bike and it's tendencies. It goes quite well with my pudding bowl! I really dig that the average person will walk right past the Vincent and have no idea what they are looking at. Isn't much different when I ride a Norton. Never was a herd creature by any means.

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #781641 08/16/19 1:20 pm
David Dunfey Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mike,

I have a friend who runs O-rings under the caps and in the pushrod tubes. I tried it, but did not find them suitable. I like the original gaskets. It does not sound like you have O-rings in these spots because I think you would have mentioned it. I did not like the O-rings because I seemed to get weeping from the areas and then I would tighten them again and it never stopped until the O-ring gave up and squeezed out.I doubt this is your problem, but it is good for you to know. It may be that the gaskets are new and are settling in.

I use the stock fiberous gaskets and glue them in place on one side with a little gasket sealer. That way the gasket is not falling off the cap when you remove it. You may have to use two in a pushrod tube depending on how everything fits. Sometimes two on one tube and just one on the others.

It sounds like it is going well, which is great. By the way, two Vincent singles raced out at Hartland in Topeka about a month a month ago. It would have been a good time if you were anywhere near. They both run in Class C in AHRMA. I have built quite a few parts for the No. 1 bike owned by David Tompkins. I built the engine, (John Healy did the flywheels) new brake shoes and a new steering stem among other things.

David

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #781646 08/16/19 2:44 pm
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thank you David for the informative reply. It's great to have access to knowledge with me being brand new to Vincents. I'm agreeing totally with the "gaskets bedding in" thought. The dealer I bought the bike from took the bike to his shop for tuning and sorting before I took delivery so he could ride and listen to it as I would not know the World's Worst Vincent if I rode it. New Concentrics were added, Reynolds chain, full fluid changes and some oil leaks were addressed. Not all of them, but he left me with the gaskets that were left after he was done. My thought is to remove the tank and seal the obvious leaks, add anaerobic sealer to the banjo joints as insurance and generally snug things up to stem the flow. Might replace banjo union bolts with the AMAL bolts to spread the load and check unions for flatness at that time. I'm liking the PCV plumbed to the upper inspection cap idea, used something similar on my Nortons to very good effect. I just can't get behind the "elephant trunk" breather. I know it's probably the most effective but gosh, it looks like Fido's rear!
Really cool that two Comets raced at Topeka. That's about 4 hours from me and I don't get out much. Busy, busy.
Thank you again!
Mike

Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #781653 08/16/19 4:24 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Mister B
Hi Folks-
.... I really dig that the average person will walk right past the Vincent and have no idea what they are looking at. Isn't much different when I ride a Norton. Never was a herd creature by any means.

Sounds like you are living the Vincent dream!

I can tell you with some certainty that once someone, anyone who recognizes the bike as a Vincent will bring up that triple-damned song and will hint that what you REALLY NEED is a 1952 Black Lightning to have a proper Vincent. They're all experts now. I was only on one for two hours and it happened to me....

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: Times have changed, iridium plugs?!? [Re: Mister B] #781679 08/16/19 10:25 pm
Mister B Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
You got me on that one Lannis. Had to click around and find that song. S'ok. The most "notice" I've gotten was a cat on a Kawi dualsport that gave the thumbs up then at the light asked if it was a Black Shadow. Most people just look funny at me because I wear an old pudding bowl in faded white. Being noticed that way means being seen and less chance of being flattened by some twit with their attention on the smartphone.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership