BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
andyhosie
andyhosie
Melbourne, Australia
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Alex Lynch, B Mac, Lenz-a-lot, UncleYeti, harold2019
10774 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 127
NickL 63
MarcB 52
Popular Topics(Views)
948,371 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,503
Posts675,688
Members10,774
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (998John), 296 guests, and 816 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shift Light Style Preference? #776266 06/12/19 7:53 pm
D
DMadigan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
I am making an electronic tachometer for the Wenco bike, same size as the Smiths gauge so I can use the rubber mounting boot. It will have a programmable RPM limit light (flash then solid, separately settable), RGB oil pressure and temperature lights. There are two ways I can incorporate the RPM light, a jewel in the upper centre between the needle and number scale or around the rim with the lighting LEDs.
The jewel would focus the light more directly at the driver if the gauge were not laid flat with the top triple clamp.
The other two lights are at the bottom between the max and min numbers.
Since I plan to make these available in the future, which would arrangement be more appealing?
I have not decided on the best interface for programming the light but to keep things water tight, probably a USB port that plugs into a PC.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Shift Light Style Preference? [Re: DMadigan] #776369 06/14/19 1:15 am
J
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
It seems to me that the shift light should be as in-your-face as possible, so top center sounds right to me. Have you considered an analog tach with a tiny digital speedo? The MotoGadget tach/speedos could stand some competition.

Re: Shift Light Style Preference? [Re: DMadigan] #776422 06/14/19 3:52 pm
D
DMadigan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Normally the gauges sit flat to the upper triple clamp so the jewel would not face the driver. Hard to know which would be more visible.
Motogadget gauges appear to have a lot of functions that most people would not use. Unless you have a T160 the neutral light has no input.
I will be making a speedometer that replicates the Smiths for the R3OIF. The LCD display could have some of those functions though I am not sure adding an accelerometer or compass is worth the money.
The biggest cost to these is the case and sealed electrical connections.

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership