BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
breeze1954
breeze1954
S.W. Pa.
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Stormbringer, Noah from PA, DGW Auctioneers, GoTriples, Jan Hellinge
10830 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 139
NickL 73
reverb 60
DavidP 58
Popular Topics(Views)
975,112 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,414
Posts677,585
Members10,830
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
52 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 271 guests, and 766 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Talk About your Liquid Gold! #776241 06/12/19 3:24 pm
ricochetrider Offline OP
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Just had a moment that reminded me of Shaun's phrase "liquid gold". Went to get 5 gallons of ethanol free gasoline for my mower and yard equipment. The one place ti get it nearby is currently charging 4.00 USD a gallon! Way more expensive than even our diesel, which is way more expensive than regular gasoline with ~15% ethanol. I think the regular was about 2.69 USD, whereas the Ethanol Free is at 3.99 USD!

Liquid Gold indeed! mad

(I know our English and Euro chums will scoff at this but..... )

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776247 06/12/19 4:55 pm
F
franko Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
F
Normally 91-94 octane non-ethanol runs 70-80 cents a gallon more than 87 ethanol here. I've found two stations in towns 20-30 minutes away that sell 87 non-ethanol for 30 cents a gallon more. When convenient, I try to fill up at these places. I get more than 1 hundred more mile to a tank full on my 94 Chevy C1500. Chasing it down for lawn mower or snow blower doesn't pay off. Likewise on the bikes, so If I'm going through one of those towns, I fill up. If not The Kwik Trip in town has 91 for 70 cents more and I'm on my way.

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776249 06/12/19 5:07 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
All the Marathon stations here now sell ethanol-free; it's generally about $.40/gallon more than the watered-down 90 octane.

Worth it to me for everything except the car and truck, although as has been mentioned, 10% ethanol fuel cuts my fuel mileage by 10%. It's like putting water in the gas, and then making us pay for it ....

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776254 06/12/19 5:51 pm
ricochetrider Offline OP
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
I wouldn't mind a few cents more. Regular 87 octane fuel
With 15% ethanol at this same station is 2.69 or thereabouts. 3.99 is way over a dollar more per gallon.

It's a short drive from my home so it's totally worthwhile to go get 5 gallons for the main mower etc

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776256 06/12/19 6:03 pm
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Many stations here sell no-alcohol regular for about the same price as premium. I'm told that the BMW can use regular, but I don't think I'll try it in the British bikes.
BTW: The last time I tested the fuel from the name-brand stations was about 5% alcohol here.

Last edited by DavidP; 06/12/19 6:05 pm.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776261 06/12/19 7:15 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
It could be worse. Go to your local NAPA store and ask for part # 6205. You will get a one US quart can of ethanol free "4 cycle" fuel for only $7.99. thumbsdown

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: MikeG] #776263 06/12/19 7:24 pm
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Q
My mowers get their own special gas can ... but not special gas .
They are low compression
Bottom of the line ...Briggs & Stratton mowers ... and too unsophisticated
To appreciate overpriced gasoline .

The get the cheap stuff with ethanol and overwinter under a tarp in the sideyard ,
with
Whatever gas is left in the tank in the fall ...

They both have survived this Spartan existence for over a decade .
One is on its second muffler , a set of salvaged Wheels and a rebuilt grass catcher.
( I don't think the manufacturer intended for them to last this long )

Spring Maintenance is
roughly sucking out the old oil with a turkey baster ... and refilling with the cheapest oil I can find .
And every few years , if the engine starts to Surge ,
Cleaning out the sediment trap ... on what appears to be the simplest of plastic Bodied carburetors .

I save the good gas for the finicky 2 Cycle .
Field stripping a chainsaw , 10 miles from home is not fun .

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776267 06/12/19 10:33 pm
Alan_nc Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
We have several local stations selling Non..... so the price is about as mentioned +.40.

It's not a matter of buying cheap mowers. I want my mowers/edgers/chain saws/weedeaters/pressure washer/rototiller and whatever to start when I need them and not have to pull the carb off and rebuild it.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776271 06/12/19 11:18 pm
W
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
W
For the amount I use in the chainsaw and lawn mower I buy 94 non ethonal so that there might still be some octane left next time I use them. The bikes get the same gas and the cars get 87 at the Co op who claim that it Is ethonal free. 87 is currently 149.9 a litre and the 94 somewhere well north of that at the Chevron. We have the pleasure of being near the top of the Canadian price list. 1.50 Cdn times .75 times 3.8 gets to about 4.27 a US gallon for the cheap stuff so I guess we're a little more expensive than south of the border. But at least we can buy some decent stuff for the bikes. Can't remember the last price I paid for 94 real gas but it must be over 5 dollars US a US 3.8 litre gallon.

No surprise mainlanders go over the border to buy gas and milk every week...….

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: Alan_nc] #776284 06/13/19 1:26 am
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Alan_nc
We have several local stations selling Non..... so the price is about as mentioned +.40.

It's not a matter of buying cheap mowers. I want my mowers/edgers/chain saws/weedeaters/pressure washer/rototiller and whatever to start when I need them and not have to pull the carb off and rebuild it.

That's me. With 15 or 20 part-time IC engines around here, I'm very familiar with the effects of crap ethanol gas on little engines that don't get used much.

I resurrected an old John Deere mower this week from 2014 (an old church-yard mower). The carburetor was so clogged with "gas residue" that even after a good soaking, the float needle broke before it would come out of the float bowl.

I sometimes rag on our buddies in China, but when the Deere dealer wants $80 for a carburetor, and I can order a Chinese copy for $15/free shipping, there's no contest. And it bolted right up and worked, too.

I don't know how many little float and diaphragm carbs I've either rebuilt or replaced in the past few years, but I got tired of it and so (as reported a couple years ago), I now have a 55 gallon drum with stabilized, non-ethanol 90 octane fuel in it, which is used in all my little engines, and is the first and last tankful to go into my bikes when I leave on a trip.

And for once in my life, they all started up this year!

Lannis

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: Lannis] #776288 06/13/19 3:07 am
JubeePrince Offline
Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by Lannis

I sometimes rag on our buddies in China, but when the Deere dealer wants $80 for a carburetor, and I can order a Chinese copy for $15/free shipping, there's no contest. And it bolted right up and worked, too.

Did that with a Toro push mower last spring that hadn't been run in six years.

I keep a five gallon can of four-cycle gas and a one gallon can of two-cycle gas. Two-cycle gas is for trimmer/edger and chain saw, four-cycle is for the 1992 JD 425. I keep Stabil in both cans and everything starts when I need it to.

Steve

Last edited by JubeePrince; 06/13/19 3:15 am.

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776294 06/13/19 5:25 am
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Tish and indeed tosh, Tom bro dude come back and moan when you're paying over SEVEN dollars a gallon like we do.... mad

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776295 06/13/19 5:44 am
D
Dibnah Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
I have seen higher octane petrol for sale in UK at GBP1.50 a litre, which works out at a mere GBP6.83 an Imperial gallon. I can recall the shock when it reached one whole pound per Imperial gallon. Other British posters will no doubt recall 4 gallons and a couple of shots of Redex for one pound.

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776303 06/13/19 8:12 am
Alan_nc Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
AH.... memories of cheap gas.

I had a car in high school before most of my buddies. Gas was $0.13 /gallon at one point. Any time we headed out for the night I collected pocket change from the guys and put a couple of gallons in. I drove a Vauxhall so a couple of gallons went a long way.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776308 06/13/19 9:24 am
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Luxury....Course we had it tough, used to live in an old house with great big holes in the roof.... wink

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: Kent Shaun] #776316 06/13/19 12:00 pm
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Luxury....Course we had it tough, used to live in an old house with great big holes in the roof.... wink

No problem with our roof Shaun, it was solid rock

https://www.creswell-crags.org.uk/explore/our-caves/ laughing

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride”
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776319 06/13/19 1:19 pm
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
E
Here in NJ, they do not have ethanol free gas at gas stations. If you want to go ethanol free, your choices are 1) racing gas from speed shops; 2) 100 octane from the airport; 3) liters for small engines at hardware stores; 4) remove the ethanol yourself at home.
Options 1 and 2 are expensive and inconvenient, but doable. Option 3 is very expensive for anything beyond a chainsaw or a trimmer. Option 4 is messy.
I run the airport gas in my bikes. I fill a couple of 5 gallon gas tanks, and since I don't tour any more, that lasts a while.
A few winters ago, I ran my late model snowblower on the airplane gas. It ran fantastically. It wasn't attracting the water like the ethanol does. When I drug it out the next year, it had a stuck valve. The local small engine guy, whom I trust, said that small aircooled engines in yard machines run hotter on higher octane gas, and he had seen sticking valves on them as a result a number of times. So I will either make up a batch of lower octane gas to have on hand, or I will drain the gas after every use. I have not had great luck with Stabil on gas with ethanol.

Ed from NJ

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776323 06/13/19 3:01 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
"Pure-Gas" lists a few for NJ, but as you say, most of them are marinas and airports ... only two or three "normal" fuel stops.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NJ

Lannis

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776344 06/13/19 7:26 pm
Boomer Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I too got tired of replacing carburetors in all my 2-stroke tools every year. I went to av-gas stored in a separate can for my mixed fuel only and they run great and have not had to replace or rebuild a carb in years. The plug is a scary white but no seizures. My gas tractor, riding mower, lawn mower all get pump unleaded regular and run fine but I do try to drain the fuel on everything for winter storage.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: Kent Shaun] #776380 06/14/19 2:23 am
F
franko Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
F
Tish and indeed tosh, Tom bro dude come back and moan when you're paying over SEVEN dollars a gallon like we do.... mad

Kent, I am wondering how long it takes the average working Joe in England to earn that $7 after taxes. Is a VAT included in it?
Kinda like figuring out fuel cost. Miles per dollar works better than miles per gallon when trying various fuels.
So, I'm looking for gallons per hour.
Thanks for your input on this

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776389 06/14/19 5:33 am
B
bsawood Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
I get a lot better MPG out of real gas then with ethanol gas. Makes up the price difference.

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776393 06/14/19 9:03 am
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Kinda lucky here in Australia, we can get E10 [10%], some other blends of E, 40 and 60 but not that common, E85 also not that common outside the metro, and ALSO we can still get ethanol free fuel in Standard 91 RON, Super 96 RON, and Ultra 98 RON, all these are pretty common. The downside is for 98 Ultra - which I use in the car and my bikes - its around $1.65/litre = $7.50AUD/imp gallon = $5.25USD.

But having access to Standard 91 is very handy for the chainsaws, lawnmower, pressure cleaner, cement mixer and other small motors.
I use E10 in my shitbox 4wd, its a Ford and its all it deserves tbh.

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: franko] #776395 06/14/19 9:08 am
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by franko

Kent, I am wondering how long it takes the average working Joe in England to earn that $7 after taxes. Is a VAT included in it?
Kinda like figuring out fuel cost. Miles per dollar works better than miles per gallon when trying various fuels.
So, I'm looking for gallons per hour.
Thanks for your input on this

I'm thinking that Shaun is talking Imperial gallons rather than the puny US Gallon
The £1.25/ litre for regular gas in my neck of the woods equals approx $4.75/ US Gallon

The super duper stuff is rather more but the bikes like it so indulge them.

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride”
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: ricochetrider] #776405 06/14/19 11:38 am
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Franko lad, buggered if I know how long Joe takes to earn $7, all I know is, people now THINK before making a pleasure drive. My company moved location t'other year, and everyone moans about how much it's costing in fuel to get to work, some have even left due to it... shocked

But you can bet your sweet bippy, our wonderful Govmint will think up a cunning plan, get us all on board, then once we're well and truly hooked. They'll shaft us good a proper, just like they did with the diesel car thing, suppose it's all a plan to get us back on horses.... confused

Bryan lad, $7 was a quick estimate of the £1.35 per Napoleonic measurement of the combustion-able liquid, we're stung for down here in the deep South. And that's ANOTHER moan...We USED to use proper English measurements, a fine English Gallon, then the Bar Stewards started to increase the price. Couldn't do that years ago with them enamel signs the petrol stations use to have, but dead easy with a push of a button when they're digital. And to stop the Peasants revolting, they gave us bloody Litres. Cos a quick look at £1.35 a litre looks far cheaper than £6.75 a Gallon, it's all to do with psychology, that's why things in shops end with 99, something that's 999 is more appealing to the Neanderthals than the same thing for 1000... wink

All this stuff is thought about years in advance, I couldn't work out why all the new trucks we were getting, had their number plates moved from the right to the left, bloody baffled me it did, asked around and no one could tell me why. THEN they brought out speed cameras and the penny dropped, them cameras are fitted to the left and if you're dragging a trailer that hid the number plate, so your speeding photo couldn't tell it was you. Answer, move the plate so they can identify the vehicle and Bob's ya uncle... thumbsup

Re: Talk About your Liquid Gold! [Re: Kent Shaun] #776415 06/14/19 3:00 pm
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Q
THEN they brought out speed cameras and the penny dropped, them cameras are fitted to the left and if you're dragging a trailer that hid the number plate, so your speeding photo couldn't tell it was you. Answer, move the plate so they can identify the vehicle and Bob's ya uncle... 

Isnt your work-truck geo-tagged ...
Cameras are obsolete.
A gps chip could charge you by the kilometer ... for any speeding... and send the bill monthly .
The tariff could be for how fast ... and how far .

You want to speed , go ahead ... you're geo-tagged ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor