BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
keith1069
keith1069
Hampshire, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis, Boggie
10936 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 63
DavidP 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,060,532 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,221
Posts684,567
Members10,936
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
45 registered members (alpinaclone), 395 guests, and 872 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wierd jetting issue Mikuni [Re: Hillbilly bike] #776151 06/11/19 8:15 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
yes, i think.

the reason i have to show 11.5 on the gauge isn't because that's what's burning, it's because my head is inefficient, so to burn at 12 or so i have to waste mixture through the pipes. likerunning at partial choke all the time. i haven't measured fuel mileage in over 30 years.

I stop in deserted section and full throttle it through the first three gears to 6500 rpm, the gauge reads 12-1.I did it several more times to confirm....Open the throttle in fourth ,the gauge drops to 10.8 during the longer pull and creeps up near 12 at 6000 rpm....

i don't understand ^^^this, unless you do have reversion but over such a narrow rpm range that you're going through it too quickly to matter when you open the throttle quickly.

obviously the solution is to ride at full throttle all the time. you'll have more fun that way anyway.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Wierd jetting issue Mikuni [Re: kevin roberts] #776161 06/11/19 9:16 pm
Hillbilly bike Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Yeah, i don't understand either.... so I can roll open the throttle in third gear at 4000 rpm and the A/F drops from 14 to 12 and stays there up to 6500....I do that in fourth and drops to 10.5 and stays there pretty much, Same for 5th full throttle roll on but I have not pushed it beyond 80 because I see cows near the road or there's another sharp bend coming up....

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Wierd jetting issue Mikuni [Re: Andy Higham] #776166 06/11/19 10:01 pm
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Andy,
I like this analogy to the 2- strokes. We think of our old Brit iron as having mild cams, but in fact, they all have some overlap at TDC on the exhaust stroke which will cause some reversion. All of the testing I have done has in fact shown a tendency to rich at some point in the cycle (albeit, only bikes with an A/F gauge can be verified), and it could be due to a similar situation as depending on lengths of intake and exhaust, back flow thru the carb may be causing the apparent over rich mixture. On our race bikes, tuned to take advantage of helpful reversion at high rpm, the problem becomes worse.
Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: Wierd jetting issue Mikuni [Re: Hillbilly bike] #776177 06/12/19 12:44 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The valve overlap on this engine is 43 degrees... The valve timing in this engine, intake and exhaust lobe centers are pretty much the same as T120 Bonnevilles that were noted for a nice linear power band..Been my experience that this cam timing and having the carbs close to the head doesn't result in reversion issues .. However, the stock two into one T140D exhaust pipes and collector on this bike might create some reversion.......

Re: Wierd jetting issue Mikuni [Re: Hillbilly bike] #776206 06/12/19 6:08 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Air correction jets? What size are you using?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Wierd jetting issue Mikuni [Re: DavidP] #776218 06/12/19 10:07 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by DavidP
Air correction jets? What size are you using?

Good call...but 32-36 MM Mikuni TM's don't have air bleed jets..........I'm going to ride around more today forA/F readings...Once the engine is warmed up the performance from idle to wide open feels flawless to the rider. Engine responds instantly and linear to throttle movement..,better than the AMAL Mk2's....But the richness in wide open high gear is puzzling..
What also is pleasing, the modifications I did for tight piston to head squish has worked out...This engine has an actual 9.2 static compression and using 90 octane non ethanol gas there is no signs of detonation....

Re: Wierd jetting issue Mikuni [Re: Hillbilly bike] #776225 06/12/19 11:28 am
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
Don't be afraid to try smaller main jets. I told you on an earlier post that my TR25 was still rich at mid throttle and at WOT at 5-6000 rpm on a 160 mj, but I forgot that I actually bought 4 more jets and actually am now running a 140 mj. It would seem that your 650 would have a stronger vacuum signal that my 250, so you may be able to lean it out more now that you have an A/F gauge to check.
Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 06/12/19 11:40 am.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO