BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
debby
debby
Boulder, CO
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Motoplane33, Loop, Filthy pup, Kevin Victor, Soupdragon
10739 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 124
reverb 53
DavidP 51
Rohan 48
Popular Topics(Views)
925,119 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,183
Posts673,295
Members10,739
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (70Tiger), 480 guests, and 832 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wenco Frame Triple Racer #776094
06/11/19 2:39 am
06/11/19 2:39 am
ca, us
D
DMadigan Online content OP
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
D

ca, us
Trying to get my Wenco frame triple together for the Cachuma rally. I decided to mount the fairing slightly farther forward for more clearance with the clip-ons. Changing the previous oil cooler to the stock cooler mounted horizontally the way the letterbox was originally done. This will need some ducting changes to bring the air up through the cooler into the headlamp box and out the internal side to the ports on the fairing sides.
Another use for the 3D printer is making brackets for test mounting the fairing. Much cheaper and faster to print off something and find it does not work for some reason than making metal parts.
[Linked Image]
The lower bracket rails should be dropped a little so there is more room for the cooler hoses to pass through.
The cooler has to be mounted to the bracket so the fairing can be removed and the cooler left in place.
This upper cowl has the headlight pocket made by Starbiker, the rest they copied off Bob Bailey's bike that he claimed at Ontario. Airtech has these molds now.
The headlight will be LED auxiliary lights remounted on a thinner heat sink.
Since lithium batteries have gotten cheaper I am mounting one in the tail cone and adding an E-starter. Kick starting was possible but having to fold the peg, unfold the kickstart lever then bring your knee up to your chest in full leathers to kick was not a quick getaway procedure.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America

Re: Wenco Frame Triple Racer [Re: DMadigan] #776110
06/11/19 11:24 am
06/11/19 11:24 am
Nova Scotia, Canada
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Nova Scotia, Canada
At the latest "Old Bike Ride" in Colorado, there was a modern Triumph Thruxton with an earlier Triumph racing fairing. The brackets were a work of art made from 1/2" steel tubing which snaked its way down to the lower front down tubes. Additional special brackets were made to support the headlight. The owner told us of the many hours it took to fabricate them using the trial and error method. Your printer may be the answer to speed up the process.

Will the printer print smooth enough tubes to be used as velocity stacks? I can see starting with a stack of various sizes and shapes to try on a flow bench (of which I only have a crude homemade one), or actually on the dyno if the tubes would take the vibration of a big single.

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: Wenco Frame Triple Racer [Re: koncretekid] #776122
06/11/19 3:08 pm
06/11/19 3:08 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Originally Posted by koncretekid
Will the printer print smooth enough tubes to be used as velocity stacks? I can see starting with a stack of various sizes and shapes to try on a flow bench (of which I only have a crude homemade one), or actually on the dyno if the tubes would take the vibration of a big single.

Most printers, when the software settings are properly adjusted, can print quite smooth parts.

Also, if you use the correct media, it can make a permanent part, not just for testing!

Last edited by GrandPaul; 06/11/19 3:09 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Wenco Frame Triple Racer [Re: DMadigan] #776125
06/11/19 3:26 pm
06/11/19 3:26 pm
ca, us
D
DMadigan Online content OP
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
D

ca, us
I already made a few velocity stacks shown here:
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/754221/1
Using the right material, intake runners have been made. Of course if you have the right printer and deep pockets, SpaceX has been printing titanium and inconel parts for their rocket engines.

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership