BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBikers, just sayin..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
smokey1962
smokey1962
Birmingham - UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Dan watt, Kevin Wils, Shorty, Tony Proasi, Motolab
10697 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 128
NickL 49
Popular Topics(Views)
895,701 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,842
Posts670,579
Members10,697
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (Alan_nc), 324 guests, and 811 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hayward belt drive #776003
06/09/19 9:49 pm
06/09/19 9:49 pm
portland or
D
drunkenmonkz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
drunkenmonkz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

portland or
Anyone know if Tony hayward has an email address? My phone service wont let me make international calls (im located in the states) and id like to purchase an a65 belt drive kit from him. I prefer to purchase items directly from the individual/company/maker if im purchasing something new.
Alternatively, if someone has a used system they would be willing to sell i'd be interested.

Cheers!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America

Re: Hayward belt drive [Re: drunkenmonkz] #776037
06/10/19 8:53 am
06/10/19 8:53 am
West Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

West Yorkshire
Have you considered the other and better options?

beerchug
Re: Hayward belt drive [Re: Allan Gill] #776048
06/10/19 12:52 pm
06/10/19 12:52 pm
portland or
D
drunkenmonkz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
drunkenmonkz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

portland or
Originally Posted by Allan Gill
Have you considered the other and better options?

Im aware of the Newby kit only. I havent made my mind up on which yet and am completely open to input. What else besides the Newby kit and why do you think they are better?

Re: Hayward belt drive [Re: drunkenmonkz] #776056
06/10/19 4:20 pm
06/10/19 4:20 pm
Vancouver Island Canada
Salty Dog Offline
BritBike Forum member
Salty Dog  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Vancouver Island Canada
I have Bob Newby belt drive and clutch on my B series
Installed 2 months ago
Excellent quality, fit and performance.

I purchased direct from BN in UK
Came with clear/concise instructions specific to my bike model
They answered all of my lame questions while I was researching their product and all of my dumb questions after I’d purchased the kit

You can buy his equipment from suppliers in U.S. also

S

Keep It Greasy
Re: Hayward belt drive [Re: drunkenmonkz] #776073
06/10/19 8:44 pm
06/10/19 8:44 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
buy from newby. in my opinion.

you often will be talking to bob himself. his stuff is first rate-- beautifully machined, parts easily available.

i run his 40mm belt drive (no alternator, primary cover set out 0.500-inches on spacers). trouble-free to 9000 rpm.

i smoked it once, too-tight adjuster. five minutes with some 200-grit sandpaper fixed it permanently.

still running it way fast.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Hayward belt drive [Re: drunkenmonkz] #776079
06/10/19 9:25 pm
06/10/19 9:25 pm
West Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

West Yorkshire
I have a Hayward kit, the DPO ran it with out the tensioner blade and reunited the belt, but their belts aren’t a ptchen on the continental belts that bob uses for a start. They also still use the higher maintenance bsa clutch centre and hub arrangement. The Newby has a 1 price central hub with a zillion tiny bearings, but there is zero clutch wobble, the friction plates will take a real hammer, and will grip when you want them to and slip when you want them to.

I’ve done some fast starts on mine, the first time I dumped the clutch expecting it to slip and instead the bike just picked up the front end, since then I’ve slipped the clutch for off the line racing starts and slipped it to 5000 in several gears before letting go fully and it’s not swelled or acted the goat after doing it. It’s been the best purchase I’ve put on my bike and fit one to every one I’ve done since, friends who have now fitted one have also been impressed. The standard version has a 30mm belt and can be bought with 4 or 5 plate system (mines the 5 but the 4 is still just as good for normal use) I also have a 40mm version which will eventually go on the racer... when it gets finished.

There are other versions which use a norton style clutch QPD i think is one of them, it was a toss up between the two when I bought mine, pushrod tom recommended the Newby and o haven’t looked back since.

beerchug
Re: Hayward belt drive [Re: Allan Gill] #776091
06/11/19 1:55 am
06/11/19 1:55 am
portland or
D
drunkenmonkz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
drunkenmonkz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

portland or
Originally Posted by Allan Gill
I have a Hayward kit, the DPO ran it with out the tensioner blade and reunited the belt, but their belts aren’t a ptchen on the continental belts that bob uses for a start. They also still use the higher maintenance bsa clutch centre and hub arrangement. The Newby has a 1 price central hub with a zillion tiny bearings, but there is zero clutch wobble, the friction plates will take a real hammer, and will grip when you want them to and slip when you want them to.

I’ve done some fast starts on mine, the first time I dumped the clutch expecting it to slip and instead the bike just picked up the front end, since then I’ve slipped the clutch for off the line racing starts and slipped it to 5000 in several gears before letting go fully and it’s not swelled or acted the goat after doing it. It’s been the best purchase I’ve put on my bike and fit one to every one I’ve done since, friends who have now fitted one have also been impressed. The standard version has a 30mm belt and can be bought with 4 or 5 plate system (mines the 5 but the 4 is still just as good for normal use) I also have a 40mm version which will eventually go on the racer... when it gets finished.

There are other versions which use a norton style clutch QPD i think is one of them, it was a toss up between the two when I bought mine, pushrod tom recommended the Newby and o haven’t looked back since.

Okay, im sold on the newby kit.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership