BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
lilo
lilo
england
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychopasta, Dave Shotz, myB33, earlee, Ken Abrams
10784 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 140
NickL 65
DavidP 60
MarcB 51
Popular Topics(Views)
951,108 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,536
Posts675,976
Members10,784
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 403 guests, and 739 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rapide cams #775924 06/08/19 2:14 pm
P
Paul Sammut Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
P
I have a 1951 C Rapide and would like to time the valves with a degree wheel. I can only assume the bike has the original cam lobes but have not pulled them yet. I have read about the Mk 1, 2 and 3 cams and would like to know how I can tell which ones I might have, as the timing appears to vary with each. Are they stamped? Alternatively, are the cam measurements published somewhere which will allow me to identify mine, please?
TIA,
Paul.

Paul

'74 Commando - Interstate
"74 Commando - Hi-Rider, possibly
'65 Atlas, mostly anyway
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Rapide cams [Re: Paul Sammut] #776357 06/13/19 11:12 pm
David Dunfey Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Paul,

I have all that data if you wish to contact me directly.

The Mk1 cams are a fairly low lift cam (.330" or so). They have good torque and start easily.

The Mk2 cams are a race cam that many owners use. It requires several internal mods to make clearance for the extra lift (about .365"). The do not start as easily as the Mk1's.

The Mk3 cams are simply the Mk1 with some quieting ramps. I would treat it like the Mk1 because it is hard to find the quieting ramps and the Vincent is not a super quiet engine anyway. The two cams, Mk1 and Mk3, should be interchangeable.

The number is sometimes stamped into the groove on the cam when you look at it from the gear side. That groove is there to guide the cam into the gear with the correct positioning while you are pressing the shaft into the gear. Most owners do not separate the shaft from the gear.

If you buy cams from Megacycle ask them not to insert the phosphor bronze bushings. These have a propensity to seize and they can cause lots of expensive damage. Megacycle believes that these bushing were used originally by Vincent and they were. However, they had a small number of cams seize on the spindles. Ted Davis, a developmental engineer at Vincent, found that when they changed to Oilite bushings they never had a subsequent seizure. Oilite is the only Factory recommended material. Phosphor bronze will usually seize. I had a Megacycle cam seize after 3 years of use in an engine so it can be an ongoing problem. I only use Megacylce cams, so I love their cams and throw away the bushings.

David

Re: Rapide cams [Re: David Dunfey] #777588 06/30/19 4:18 am
P
Paul Sammut Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
P
David,
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I haven’t been on this site for a couple of weeks as work has kept me too busy to mess with bikes. That information is very helpful, indeed. I believe I have the Mk 1 cams and will heed your advice.
All the best,
Paul.

Paul

'74 Commando - Interstate
"74 Commando - Hi-Rider, possibly
'65 Atlas, mostly anyway
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership