BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
BSA Boy
BSA Boy
Boulder, CO
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Borderlord, BMac, clive1, Dan87GT, B. Nicholson
10942 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 103
franko 87
DavidP 66
NickL 54
Popular Topics(Views)
1,067,710 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,280
Posts685,117
Members10,942
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
63 registered members (Adam M.), 909 guests, and 835 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
battery polarity has reversed #775852 06/07/19 3:30 pm
C
Cbeard Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
My 1968 A65L battery seems to have reversed polarity. Its always been used with pos. ground connection. What would make this happen? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: Cbeard] #775856 06/07/19 4:16 pm
Gordo in Comox Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
What makes you think that the battery has changed polarity?

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: Cbeard] #775857 06/07/19 4:24 pm
C
Cbeard Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
She wouldn't start. A friend that is better at electrics than me swapped the battery connections and she started 1st kick. The battery is old and won't hold a charge for long. About to install a new one. I checked out the wiring with a multimeter using instructions from britbike and it is a neg. ground system. The battery had enough voltage left to check its polarity and now it appears normal. Go figure.

Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: Cbeard] #775859 06/07/19 4:26 pm
C
Cbeard Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
Sorry I meant to say it is a positive ground.

Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: Cbeard] #775863 06/07/19 5:29 pm
M
MarcB Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
I don't think I understand what you're saying here:

Originally Posted by Cbeard
She wouldn't start. A friend that is better at electrics than me swapped the battery connections and she started 1st kick. The battery is old and won't hold a charge for long. About to install a new one. I checked out the wiring with a multimeter using instructions from britbike and it is a neg. ground system. The battery had enough voltage left to check its polarity and now it appears normal. Go figure.

Originally Posted by Cbeard
Sorry I meant to say it is a positive ground.

What does "it appears normal" mean? Normal on a BSA is positive ground. Sounds to me like you had the battery connected incorrectly to begin with.

Can you describe exactly what you found? Do you mean that you found the ground wire (you checked that it was really the ground, right?) connected to the battery's positive terminal, moved it to the negative and the bike started? How did you determine that it was the ground?

We need clearer details to help you out here.

Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: Cbeard] #775879 06/07/19 11:16 pm
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Batteries do not , in fact a lead acid battery can not change polarity.
And as mark hs already stated, more accurate detailed information is needed.
You are there looking at the bike scratching your had.
W are here looking at a screen

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: BSA_WM20] #775886 06/08/19 12:47 am
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
A battery can be "forced" to change its polarity

But it will-not/can-not happen on its own ... the change would have to be forced.

One way for this to happen is ...
A fullly flat battery
... will have both plates coated with lead sulfate ....PbSO4 ... in a water solution. .. the battery no longer has a polarity .
( just a + & - mark next to the terminals)

So if a charger is hooked up backwards ... the battery can charge backwards. ( the plus and minus labels will be backwards.)
( modern batteries are not formatted with neutral lead plates , able to switch polarities
without substantial penalty . )
So whatever charge you can force into a dead-battery , if done backwards , will likely only be a light charge

Last edited by quinten; 06/08/19 12:47 am.
Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: quinten] #775894 06/08/19 3:13 am
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
A battery can be "forced" to change its polarity

But it will-not/can-not happen on its own ... the change would have to be forced.

One way for this to happen is ...
A fullly flat battery
... will have both plates coated with lead sulfate ....PbSO4 ... in a water solution. .. the battery no longer has a polarity .
( just a + & - mark next to the terminals)

So if a charger is hooked up backwards ... the battery can charge backwards. ( the plus and minus labels will be backwards.)
( modern batteries are not formatted with neutral lead plates , able to switch polarities
without substantial penalty . )
So whatever charge you can force into a dead-battery , if done backwards , will likely only be a light charge

In theory it is possible, in practice it can not.
The actual positive & negative plates are made from different alloys and even without any paste will retain polarity.
Next the paste is never ever fully spent.
The surface just gets passivated by the sulphate.
This is how all those "miracle battery revivers" work.
They drastically over charge causing the plates to gas and knock the passivated surface off the plates and the battery is "good as new"
Well to be honest , if the sulpate blown off the plates that drops to the bottom does not end up shorting out the plates then you will have a goos as new battery of about 10% to 30% of the original capacity.
Most chargers will either blow the output transistors ( cheap ones ) or trip a safety relay ( expensive one ), if hooked up backwards.

Grid alloys are under perpetual development .
The last time I was associated with battery making was in the 80's but even then the alloy compositions changed almost with every batch.
We were experimenting with plating an overcoat over a Pb/Sb grid which looked very promising so the + & - plates could be cast from the same alloy then electroplated to turn them into + or - plates and the plating could be done simultaneously with the heat treatment.
The amount of over voltage required to force a battery into reverse polarity, even is dead flat would be quite substantial and way over what either the alternator or most automative charges could put out.
FWIW using a Pb/Sb grid allows more scrap lead to be used in the casting alloy which was the aim of the exercise, it also allowed Pb of a higher Cu level ( Cu is an impurity is grid alloys ) to be used and removing excess copper is a very expensive & chemically dirty process.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: Cbeard] #775975 06/09/19 12:41 pm
Mark Z Online Sleepy
BritBike Forum member
Online Sleepy
BritBike Forum member
This is all very elucidating, but is in response to a confusing description of a problem and probably unrelated to what really happened.

I would think that hooking up a battery backwards would cause a dead short through the rectifier, and would either blow the fuse (if fused) or start melting wires... unless, that is, there wasn't enough poop left in the battery to generate heat.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: Mark Z] #775989 06/09/19 5:26 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z
This is all very elucidating, but is in response to a confusing description of a problem and probably unrelated to what really happened.

I would think that hooking up a battery backwards would cause a dead short through the rectifier, and would either blow the fuse (if fused) or start melting wires... unless, that is, there wasn't enough poop left in the battery to generate heat.

Did it accidentally many moons ago when running a bike on points. It ran although sounded a bit laboured, then when I revved the engine the fuse blew. If it was EI then who knows. I did fit a CDI unit to a bike which was supposed to be positive earth (for a negative earth bike) no mention of it in the bullet point instructions although had I followed the wiring diagram instead then it would have shown me. This nearly melted one of the wires to the box (low amperage wire too) was ok once set it to +VE

beerchug
Re: battery polarity has reversed [Re: Cbeard] #776014 06/10/19 12:27 am
M
Mitch Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
guessing the reason it started after the battery was switched was due to cleaning enough oxidation off the terminals to get a go. and ya, being reversed would have made a mess of the electrics if the battery had much ooph. but then, maybe it did and you just don't know it yet

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO