BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Pender
Pender
Iowa
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Weather Corner
#775638 06/04/19 11:16 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member

1969 BSA A65T w/A70 engine
1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor S ll
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Weather Corner
Keane Lucas #775688 06/05/19 2:45 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
pretty cool.

"I'm leaning towards it being an interaction with the airglow layer which is lowered due to gravity waves. I know that in heavy thunderstorms , gravity waves form in the airglow layer with deeper peaks and troughs and that the strongest nightglow emissions occur mostly in a relatively thin layer of atmosphere between 85 and 95 kilometers (53 and 60 miles) above the Earth’s surface. Little emission occurs below this layer since there’s a higher concentration of molecules, allowing for dissipation of chemical energy (via collisions rather than light production). Likewise, little emission occurs above that layer because the atmospheric density is so low that there are too few light-emitting reactions to yield an appreciable amount of light. I think that gravity waves perhaps caused deeper troughs pushing this layer of atmosphere associated with airglow down enough to interact with the sprite tops. Then it's a matter of only the most energetic sprites triggered within this trough produce the effect. It would explain why not all bright sprites have this and how not all tips have it in one bright event. Essentially like a tiger elve version of a sprite. Tiger-sprite. My pic of gravity waves in Texas airglow shows similar color."

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Moderated by  bill50cal, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership