BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Fisherman
Fisherman
Tennessee
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider
10862 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 172
DavidP 71
reverb 64
NickL 55
Popular Topics(Views)
1,016,063 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,795
Posts680,343
Members10,862
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
61 registered members (Adam M.), 503 guests, and 913 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Electrix World Ignition Question. #774896 05/27/19 10:39 pm
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Since they wont answer my emails...

Ok the Hornet Racer has the the BSA A65 Base version of the Electrix World ignition and so far it has been great.

But at New Jersey this last weekend during the race coming onto the front straight I got a great drive off the last three turns and got to WOT coming onto the straight.

About half way to start finish the bike completely cut off. In the same millisecond as I was thinking I was about to get run over, I rolled off the throttle and it hit again so I kept racing. Did I hit a limit in the ignition? I have since learned that there is a high speed version of this ignition. It hasn't been a problem on the flat track. But there I'm only WOT for about a second or so. But coming off the button hook turn nine in 2nd and shifting to 3rd and 4th in the next to slight turns I'm pretty sure I was on the far side of 7000 rpms coming on to the front straight.

Does anybody have any wisdom with these ignitions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 05/27/19 10:42 pm.

"Don't trust your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: Semper Gumby] #774933 05/28/19 11:20 am
P
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
Is it possible that you emptied your bowls?

Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: pushrod tom] #774934 05/28/19 11:32 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by pushrod tom

laughing when I first read that I miss-read it as "Bowels" laughing probably might do if it cuts out on a bend, I sure would....

Semper, which carbs are you running? you may or may not be aware if your running MK1 Concentrics that there are high flow float bowls and methanol float bowls (although you need the matching needle with methanol) both these will flow much faster than the standard one... from top of my head I can't remember the size differences sorry.

beerchug
Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: Semper Gumby] #774949 05/28/19 1:09 pm
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I have to ask if the ignition has an RPM limiter? Generally speaking , ignition rpm limiters cut out some firing impulses not a total shut down..In my experience ,overrunning the fuel supply also causes some misfiring before it quits..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: pushrod tom] #774956 05/28/19 2:34 pm
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Yes. But both MK1 32mm at exactly the same time? Usually one goes before he other....

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 05/28/19 2:39 pm.

Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: Allan Gill] #774957 05/28/19 2:42 pm
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by Allan Gill

laughing when I first read that I miss-read it as "Bowels" laughing probably might do if it cuts out on a bend, I sure would....

Semper, which carbs are you running? you may or may not be aware if your running MK1 concentrics that there are high flow float bowls and methanol float bowls (although you need the matching needle with methanol) both these will flow much faster than the standard one... from top of my head I can't remember the size differences sorry.

Thank you Alan. I have often wondered if the standards float bowl shutoff seat was a restriction. Surrey Cycles has been supar helpful in the past. I think I send them an email and see what they say.....

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 05/28/19 2:42 pm.

Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: Semper Gumby] #774993 05/28/19 9:18 pm
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Got an email back from Bob at EW.

Turns out the advance curve starts retarding as the rpm increases after max.
The digital version levels off at max advance and stays there. So I do want the Digital version mad

Apparently there is something to be screwed in clockwise to set the max RPM limit but what or where it is I haven't the faintest. The max rpm can be set as high as 13000+ rpm although I think the Hornet would grenade long before that. Of course the documentation says nothing about this.

Where is me magnifying glass?

Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: Semper Gumby] #775001 05/28/19 10:37 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Retarding at higher rpm is actually a good thing, lower down where load on the bike is less the more advance will be better on acceleration, but as you reach higher speeds the retarding of the ignition by a couple of degrees adds more torque. The Pazon starts retarding after 5000 rpm.

What fuel are you running in the bike? Flat out at 7000rpm and held there you will run your float bowls dry, on one setup I had to use the high flow floats even on the street. Just make sure to set your float height!

Ironically I came across a pair of this bowls still in their bag today, they are stamped up 0.125”. I believe standard bowls are 0.100”. As I say the float height will be much higher unless it’s changed due to the needle now sitting lower in the seat. (0.156 rings a bell and might be for methanol.... it might be for something wildly different)

beerchug
Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: Allan Gill] #775002 05/28/19 10:43 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Allan Gill

Ironically I came across a pair of this bowls still in their bag today, they are stamped up 0.125”. I believe standard bowls are 0.100”. As I say the float height will be much higher unless it’s changed due to the needle now sitting lower in the seat. (0.156 rings a bell and might be for methanol.... it might be for something wildly different)

Just checked up on this as I didn’t want to give bad information, it’s been about 4 years since I looked at that detail..... turns out I’m a little “sad” and I was correct.

beerchug
Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: Semper Gumby] #775052 05/29/19 11:12 am
P
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
SG, Sound like little dyno time would help you diagnose some of your problem. There you can safely run up to max revs and if it is ok then you can set the timing to best power. Once you do that you can cross it off the 'problem list' and pursue whatever else might be holding you back. We run 1.5 miles WOT and have experienced the starvation issue. Like HB says it would fall off and missfire. The extremely lean condition produced some interesting looking spark plugs and piston crowns! It took a while to figure it out (not sayin' I'm smart) but with proper fuel delivery the speed jumped up 5 mph!. Cheers, PRT

Re: Electrix World Ignition Question. [Re: pushrod tom] #778963 07/17/19 8:32 pm
S
Semper Gumby Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
I ordered some bowls and larger viton tipped needles.
Got one for the Thunderbolt as well.

Surrey Cycles to the rescue.

Last edited by Semper Gumby; 07/17/19 8:33 pm.

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership