BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
breeze1954
breeze1954
S.W. Pa.
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Stormbringer, Noah from PA, DGW Auctioneers, GoTriples, Jan Hellinge
10830 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 139
NickL 73
reverb 60
DavidP 58
Popular Topics(Views)
975,112 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,414
Posts677,585
Members10,830
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 280 guests, and 770 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
where's all the Bantam guys at???? #774562 05/23/19 9:30 pm
rocketscientist Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I (I have no idea why) wound up with a 65 D7 (175cc) Bantam. Missing some engine bits....needs alot of TLC. Anyone well versed on rebuilding one? anyone riding one regularly??
I'd like to buy a complete engine if available. Maybe I can find some Bantam crap at Mud Ohio in a few weeks?.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #774594 05/24/19 7:01 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Don’t think many bantams went to the states, uk and aus got the vast majority I believe. I’ve rebuilt a few though.

“Alan in NC” (least I think it’s NC and not NJ facepalm ) is a big bantam and trials fan. If he sees this post he might be able to help.

beerchug
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #774742 05/26/19 6:18 am
G
Ginge Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
There's a few good Bantam forums on the web. Search "Green Mist" which I found helpful. The BSAC10C11C12 site is a good start. Not Bantam specific but has a majority of UK members who run smaller bikes. A great forum. There's also a Bantam Owners Group web site. Has some great engine rebuild threads.

Regrettably Britbike is more about the big bikes and always has been. Not through any fault of the site owners and mods. Just the reality of modern times. Big bikes are more valuable, tend to survive longer and are more useable in the big countries for touring and rallying.

Even down my way where Bantams are plentiful, it is rare to see them out and about.

'51 C11 in a '54 C10L frame..."The Bantam Eater"
'70 Triumph Trophy 500. Bottom end rumble awaiting diagnosis
'72 Triumph Tiger 650. Back on the road...
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #774744 05/26/19 6:48 am
Morgan aka Admin Offline
Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
Back in 1996 when I started BSA bulletin board & British motorcycle forum
The first bsa forum ever on internet not many people were connected.
A lot of the visitors were Americans not English.
In 1998 britbike.com was born and with that the possibility to create a lot more boards.
Bantams are big in Uk but never existed in Sweden where I live and not many went to us as far as I know.
I have asked before if we need more sub boards for example bsa but no demand so far .
Maybe a general board for two strokes is in demand if so let me know.
Feel free to invite owners to become members here.
I do want a bantam for me self.

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #774746 05/26/19 7:59 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A 2t board might be good Morgan! There are a lot of villiers out there and a lot serve in trials.

The biggest problem is the OP’s post is very general which is most likely why few people are answering it. I’ve built quite a few bantam engines from early D1 to D14. At some point I’d like to get my D10 sportsman built up and on the road (possibly the longest waiting project) I would also like to get my bantam trials bike built up too.

So the knowledge is out there but depending on the question he is asking, does he want someone to build one up for him - if so I can’t help for example, OR does he want someone to give advice, so I could potentially help. What bits are missing??

I’ve done more work with D14 motors and initially found the 3 speed engines a little wired by comparison mainly because their gearbox is pretty different, but if you put your mind to it, it’s not bad at all, just different to the 14/4.

I used to ride my bantam everywhere, flat out most of the time too! It was ok in town and not too bad flat out, it’d hold 55mph all day, it’d do 60 quite happily also but a headwind soon killed it back, like most engines the ports on the 14/4 are too big and they would benefit from a modern exhaust system, the good thing about the 14/4 was if you had enough of a downhill run and a tail wind you could get the lil thing revving our in top gear, the needle would be flat out on the stop and flat out and chin on the tank it would hold itself there, but it would never do it under its own esteem..... it also uses a lot of fuel very quickly like that too! The D7 barrels were actually better and could achieve the same Top speed as a D14 realistically, probs not on paper. But a 4mm smaller inlet port and different positions for the transfer ports gave the bike more torque but more limiting in revs. Gearing never changed on the Bantam’s through primary to final drive from D1 to D14, quite silly really and smaller primary and gearbox output sprockets are available. I’ve just put a 1tooth smaller gearbox sprocket on my friends bantam engine, she used to change up early because of the vibration instead of letting it rev out in 3rd, the drop into top gear would then be below the power band and it wouldn’t pull. Hopefully 1 tooth less will help when she changes into top and let the engine turn a little More free’r to achieve better speeds on the road.

beerchug
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #774748 05/26/19 9:01 am
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Bantams are funny things.
Every body has one some where hiddden in the back of the shed.
Lots seem to be bought & sold
But none ever seem to make it to the road.
When Bantam questions come up that I can not answer I send people to the Mist Green site as well.
It is all there and what is not is hot linked to.
Bantam owners are a separate breed and to be honest most of our members poo poo them as well which is very wrong but I have given up trying to change the attitudes of the bigger bike owners.

As for another sub forum I doubt it would do much good any you would be just splitting resources and making people go to yet another forum.
It is just the way things have grown & trying to force a change would be futile and probably not welcome.
FWIW I am on the Mist Green site, the C serices site, the WM20 ( now war bikes ) site , the A7-A10 site, the B50 site, The old Brit Iron list ( which I think predates this one ) , Made In England & here which is more than enough to cover.

If you really want to add another group, a FLAT TANK foum is what is missing from the web ever since David Barily retired and closed his site & E-zine down.
Particularly now days as the less computer illeterate older riders are passing the bikes they can no longer ride on to us youn'es

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #774749 05/26/19 9:11 am
Morgan aka Admin Offline
Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
Guys I’ll look into this in a few weeks when we get back from our holidays in the meantime keep making good suggestions and we would also need moderators for the new boards

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: Morgan aka Admin] #774836 05/27/19 9:16 am
G
Ginge Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Morgan,

Why not target the small bikes generally? As we all get older we downsize and the smaller bikes are cheaper, easier to fix and ride. Perhaps we could have a “Lightweights” board for 250cc and below. Two and four stroke. They share a lot of parts and certainly share similar problems.

Triumph have the Cubs, Terriers, Tigresses and Tina etc. BSA have their C range plus the Bantams and Beagles and Dandy. The other marques have Fleas, Captains and Comets and who knows what else.

I’d wager there would be more small bikes amongst your international members than there would be Vincent owners, members that ride the Tri- state ride, or members that want to pass the Guinness bottle around. They all have their own board ( and I don’t wish to detract from that).

I support the idea of a small bike board. Of course there is no reason why the small bike members can’t post in the general marque board that relates to their bike. My experience with my own small bike however is that the knowledge is better elsewhere. Most of the marque knowledge on the board is related to the big bikes that are 350/500cc plus. That’s great because this forum is the best resource on the net, but not for my oddball small 250cc bike.

I’ve been a member of this forum for a long time. The help and discussion for the small bikes often gets lost amongst the big bike traffic if I post on the marque board. There are a few members that willingly assist (Allan Gill gets a mention here) . The real strength of your forum is the size of your membership. If we can attract some of that membership to the little bikes I think you will grab some more traffic.

Just my thoughts and they are offered constructively.

Keep up the good work.

Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: Morgan aka Admin] #775108 05/29/19 11:14 pm
Ignoramus Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Morgan aka Admin
Guys I’ll look into this in a few weeks when we get back from our holidays in the meantime keep making good suggestions and we would also need moderators for the new boards

Ok just my 2cents.......there are/were loads of bantams here in nz .
my take on the new page for them is pretty simple.......since this thread has attracted very few comments in the last week it kind of says something about the need for a new forum just for them

personally i dont see the need, but since its your site you can do what you want.

"There's the way it ought to be and there's the way it is" (Sgt Barnes)
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: Ginge] #775116 05/30/19 2:54 am
S
Shane in Oz Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by Ginge
I support the idea of a small bike board.
I'll second that. There probably aren't enough people on the board interested in any particular sub-350 model, but collectively it's probably warranted.
I'll even dob myself in as having a Beagle project and a Bushman project, but they're behind the bigger bikes on the round tuit list.

Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #775124 05/30/19 5:25 am
Gordo in Comox Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I am all for a dedicated small bike board as there are some interesting machines under 350cc but they get lost in among the big bike topics. My first bike was a Bantam and below is my third bike, a Tiger Cub scrambler.

Gordo

[Linked Image]

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #775125 05/30/19 6:17 am
W
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
W
Agree with Gordo. My first bike was a 1950 D1 and over the years one or four have slipped through my hands including a D1 that I stuffed a Villiers 200cc engine into and a 48 D1 that had been built into a racer by a very clever family friend including a close ratio box and many other mods and was clocked at 95 mph while he was sitting up on a local road race course. As I am about to turn 78 I can see that the day will come that a small bike will become the way to go for me. They were great fun. And then there were one or two other tweedlepops including a trials bike built out of a James 225 Colonel that went quite well for a home made trials bike. So bring it on.

Cheers, Wilf

Last edited by Wilfred; 05/31/19 7:19 am.

"It's about the ride..."
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: Ignoramus] #775126 05/30/19 6:26 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Ignoramus
.....since this thread has attracted very few comments in the last week.

The OP never came back, the subject matter which this has turned into has probably become more for another board than the bsa board, had the OP come back to elaborate on what he was asking for then I would have suggested that happen, as he hasn’t I’ve let it slide.

beerchug
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #775141 05/30/19 12:56 pm
G
Ginge Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Allan can you please shift this to where it should be then? (Not sure where that is)

Otherwise the little bikes will get buried again amongst the traffic.

Last edited by Ginge; 05/30/19 12:57 pm.

Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #775152 05/30/19 3:03 pm
Tridentman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
My first bike was a 1956 Bantam D5 (150cc, 3 speed) when I was living in England.
I didn't keep it long but it was responsible for getting me hooked on things two wheels--so I have a soft spot for Bantams.
So much so that 2 or 3 years ago when one came up for sale on Craigslist in southern NJ (Bantams are not too common in US)-- I bought it.
It is a non running D13 175cc 4 speed.
Only after I bought it did I find out that not many D13s were made.
It is now in my restoration pipeline--but unfortunately not near the front of the line!

A separate board for small capacity machines----good idea IMHO.
I don't think that there would be a tremendous amount of activity--but there is not much on some of the current boards either.
Just my two cents worth of course.

Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #775159 05/30/19 4:10 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Lots of D13’s made TM, they just got changed to D14 as 13 was unlucky. Many D14 cases were still stamped D13 underneath though. Although I believe the D13 run was about 6 months. Did it still have the original decals?

With a small cc group it may help keep all that info from disappearing into the pages of time...

beerchug
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #775165 05/30/19 5:05 pm
Tridentman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Hi Allan--yes--I knew that the D13s were changed to D14s allegedly because 13 means bad luck.
And that the D13 and D14 are otherwise identical.
Point I was making was that a Bantam genuinely stamped D13 is quite rare.
From memory the bit of research I did said that only about 700 D13s were made.
My frame # is D13 47* --- so maybe the small numbers of D13s is true.
Original tank badges but decals on side covers not present.
HTH

Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #775980 06/09/19 3:20 pm
Morgan aka Admin Offline
Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
This is a admin test post, no need to comment please. i'll remove it later.

Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 06/09/19 3:28 pm.

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #776450 06/14/19 10:44 pm
N
Nickjaxe Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
RS...I am a British Bantam Owner....see the link to the British Bantam Owners Club...handy if you need to ask any questions.

You may get some history from the dating officer if you give him the frame number.

Rex Caunt Racing is a big supplier of parts...think he deals world wide.

Alan...my B175 is still going well....we have a Cheshire Branch of the BSA Bantam Owners Club now.

Nick.

https://www.bsabantamclub.com/forum/

Recently bought my 1st ever motorcycle...a humble 1969 BSA Bantam B175...I am enjoying using my Bantam so much...does all I need.
My car that I use daily is an old series Landrover that I bought new 40 years ago and has just become tax free.
Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #776451 06/14/19 11:11 pm
M
MartinBuilt Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
M
i would dig a small bike forum.
I'm working on a cub and a C15. both 1959.
I missed a running Bantam ($650) last summer at mid-ohio.
they are around...

Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #777934 07/04/19 1:23 pm
F
franko Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
F
MartinBuilt: With your interest in small bikes, you might be interested in this one. It is in your state. If it was closer, I know I would but it.
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/777837/64-bsa-c15-pennsylvinia-600#Post777837

Re: where's all the Bantam guys at???? [Re: rocketscientist] #778113 07/08/19 3:56 am
rocketscientist Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Morgan: small displacement 250 and under forum! I vote yes, although my vote is essentially worthless! lol

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor