BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
MrBean
MrBean
Tasmanian Devil country
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider
10862 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 167
DavidP 69
reverb 61
NickL 53
Popular Topics(Views)
1,018,430 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,800
Posts680,409
Members10,862
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (Andytheflyer), 308 guests, and 876 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Yeaa, Just bought my first Triple #774299 05/20/19 3:17 pm
jimmymckenna Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I first saw a T160 back in 1983 when I bought my first Bonnie. The shop I bought my Bonnie (Allan Jeffries in Shipley) took it in as part ex on a T160. I vowed then that I would own one. Well almost 37yrs later I picked up my first T160

I bought it from a guy I've known for around 10yrs. Although he didn't own the bike long, he had bought it off a well known Triple enthusiast, known for doing very long journeys (he must have an Iron Butt)

A couple of small issues in that it took a while to start using both foot and electric. I eventually removed, cleaned and reset the plugs and away it went. I did about 10 miles and at one stage when I tried to accelerate, it started popping. On return home I pulled the two outer plugs and the rh (as I sit on the bike) had sooted up . The bike has a BB Micro Mk111 fitted

I have ordered a manual, but in the meantime what is the air screw settings (are they the same as a T140). Receipts from Burlen for new stay up floats and main jets

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Yeaa, Just bought my first Triple [Re: jimmymckenna] #774304 05/20/19 4:11 pm
L.A.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by jimmymckenna

I have ordered a manual, but in the meantime what is the air screw settings (are they the same as a T140).

T160 manual:
http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Repair/Trident/1975Triumph-T160.pdf
Parts:
http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Parts/Trident/1975T160PartsManual.pdf
Owners:
http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/OwnersManuals/1970s/75T160OwnersManual.pdf

Re: Yeaa, Just bought my first Triple [Re: jimmymckenna] #774331 05/20/19 9:59 pm
T
Tigernuts Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Possibly worth checking the float levels. As supplied by Burlen, they can be miles out.

Very nice bike by the way - they're about as good as anything when running sweetly.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
Re: Yeaa, Just bought my first Triple [Re: jimmymckenna] #774385 05/21/19 5:19 pm
jimmymckenna Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks L.A.B.

Still waiting on the new plugs, but cleaned the auld ones and took it for a run. The bikes choke has been removed and the holes plugged. The bike started fine and away I went. Although it was very warm weather the bike seemed to run a bit lumpy for the first few miles. A consequence of no choke I'm thinking. Anyway I travelled about 12 miles and came to a dual carriageway and tried to open it up a bit. The bike coughed and spluttered with popping in the carbs. If I raised the speed very gently it would run a bit better but not what I would think it should be.

On returning home, I again pulled the two outer plugs and one looked a bit dark but the other was black and sooty. I checked the air screws and they were 1 and a half turns. The manual says 2 turns so I'll give that a try

I'm a bit reluctant to pull the carbs off as I have just bought the bike, but if that's what I need to do then so be it.

Any advice welcome

Re: Yeaa, Just bought my first Triple [Re: jimmymckenna] #774388 05/21/19 6:19 pm
L.A.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
On returning home, I again pulled the two outer plugs and one looked a bit dark but the other was black and sooty. I checked the air screws and they were 1 and a half turns. The manual says 2 turns so I'll give that a try

Well, the pilot air screws adjust the idle (and just above) mixture, so unlikely to be the cause of problems at larger throttle openings.

https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/65-cub-data/library/amalbritbike.pdf

I'm a bit reluctant to pull the carbs off as I have just bought the bike, but if that's what I need to do then so be it.

You'll (probably) get used to it as AMAL carbs on a triple can provide hours of entertainment for its owner. Edit (That's assuming the carbs are the actual cause of the problem).

Last edited by L.A.B.; 05/21/19 6:30 pm.
Re: Yeaa, Just bought my first Triple [Re: jimmymckenna] #774390 05/21/19 6:35 pm
htown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
If the carb adjusting brings no improvement, the symptoms also sound like what happens when a Boyer EI isn't getting enough volts. Mark III's are especially prone to doing this. http://vintagebikemagazine.com/technical-articles/Boyer-trouble-shooting/

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Re: Yeaa, Just bought my first Triple [Re: jimmymckenna] #774431 05/22/19 2:57 am
htown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Should have replaced the needle jets and not the main jets. The needle jets wear and when they do it leads to rich running. There is nothing to wear in a main jet. I posted the above note on the Boyer system as a bit of a cautionary note. If fiddling with the carbs brings no joy you need to start looking elsewhere and that's a good place to start. When I good my t150 back on the road, it would start and run well for a while and then steadily get worse. After some investigation I found one of the leads off the alternator was broken. I'd charge the battery before riding but after riding awhile and no alternator input the battery would eventually discharge to the point where the Boyer unit would start to malfunction. I've also had intermittent ignition problems when an ignition switch was going bad. The older Boyer units are real sensitive to any input less than twelve volts.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Re: Yeaa, Just bought my first Triple [Re: jimmymckenna] #774444 05/22/19 8:29 am
jimmymckenna Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks for that
I'm away from the bike now for a week or so, then I'll get a grip of it

Last edited by jimmymckenna; 05/22/19 12:00 pm.
Re: Yeaa, Just bought my first Triple [Re: jimmymckenna] #774447 05/22/19 9:51 am
tridentt150v Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
If you get new needle jets check them with a No.65 engineers drill set. I've just gone through this and the actual sizes are all over the place, new means nothing.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership