BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
snowbeard
snowbeard
US citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis, Boggie
10936 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 63
DavidP 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,060,568 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,222
Posts684,571
Members10,936
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
47 registered members (alpinaclone), 383 guests, and 824 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moto Giro East May 24 - 26, Sturbridge, MA #773816 05/15/19 5:14 pm
Geoff Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Any Brit-Bikers signed up for the event? After missing two last year I will be trekking over to Massachusetts next week with my mighty Greeves - at least that is the plan right now. Anyone else participating?

'78 T140V
'74 Commando
'69 TR6R
'67 Starfire
'64 Greeves TES
'58 Allstate (Puch) 175
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Moto Giro East May 24 - 26, Sturbridge, MA [Re: Geoff] #774306 05/20/19 4:18 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline
Life Member
Life Member
G
Geoff, sorry for the slow reply. I'm not a member of this fold anymore so I don't post on here often at all. I've been rethinking the Moto Giro and canceled my spring entry. I wanted to have my B44 sidecar rig ready but that didn't work out. I'm not planning to attend another one UNLESS I can talk some friends into joining along. To be completely honest I've attended 4 and so far have never actually felt like I fit in with them. I'd say maybe 5% of the attendees have been welcoming to a newcomer like me. Maybe if I was better at the skills sections that number would increase???? There are a couple of folks that are considering it.....Richrd out in Neb and one of the NC Ton up fellows..( Jay ).....If I can get them to join and with counting you and me that would make four of us and IMO it would really help to make a more enjoyable weekend.

I got to thinking that maybe it was me that was the problem but just recently joined another group (different hobby) and ALL those folks welcomed me with open arms......just the way this site/group was for years. I like the family attitude and knowing someone's got your back if you're in a bind.

You have fun out there....sorry to have backed out but it wasn't meant to be this time......keep your feet up....your wheels spinning and the women grinning. Hope our paths cross soon.

Gone and mostly forgotten......................Gordon in NC

Re: Moto Giro East May 24 - 26, Sturbridge, MA [Re: Geoff] #774326 05/20/19 9:32 pm
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
E
Gordon,
It is always a pleasure to hear from you. I kind of feel the same way as you do about the Giro. And I was a big proponent of the event. The last one that I did was Fall of 2017. The battery on my Suzuki blew up (lithium-but that is another story), and it took almost 9 hours to get rescued. I was not happy. I had a health issue for the Spring of 18 Giro and couldn't have gone if I wanted to, but I didn't want to. Haven't been since. Haven't felt like it.
The last few that I was in just didn't seem as fun. For one thing it had become much more competitive. A pretty large contingent are retired racers. Funnily enough, my observation is that while the retired racers are competitive, they aren't in your face about it. The guys who either never raced or younger guys who want to race are the ones (the wannebees)being real aggressive. I always enjoyed this as a bunch of old farts gallivanting about the countryside on silly little old bikes. Then folks started taking things a whole lot more seriously.
I see most of the folks doing this are either doing it as part of a group or are part of a clique. When I was doing it with my pals it was a lot more fun. Nobody was unfriendly when I started doing it alone as my pals dropped off, but there wasn't the same camaraderie. I very may well do it again. Still have my Giro bike. But just haven't felt the same desire.

Ed from NJ

Re: Moto Giro East May 24 - 26, Sturbridge, MA [Re: edunham] #774379 05/21/19 3:58 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline
Life Member
Life Member
G
Ed....out of the 4 I've attended the only one I felt the least bit welcomed was the one you and I spent time talking in the parking lot and that was because you were there......a friendly and familiar face. I was looking forward to continuing that during dinner. You got left by the side of the road and I sat with folks that it seemed like I had nothing in common with?????

Probably just me.......but without backup I'm not going back. I have all the gear sorted.....new pop up, coolers, chairs to make a comfortable parking lot pit....just want some friends to share it with.

You take care and hope our paths cross at Mid-Ohio.

Your friend in NC Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/21/19 3:59 pm.
Re: Moto Giro East May 24 - 26, Sturbridge, MA [Re: Geoff] #774383 05/21/19 4:51 pm
Geoff Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I am there! smile

My wife and daughter even chase the route and act as my own rescue vehicle, which I have needed the three times I went. I was originally looking to do the Giro with my 'club' / group / whatever in NY but no one ever bothered to build a bike - so I have been on my own all 3 times, which is why I was hoping some of you lot would join me.

'78 T140V
'74 Commando
'69 TR6R
'67 Starfire
'64 Greeves TES
'58 Allstate (Puch) 175
Re: Moto Giro East May 24 - 26, Sturbridge, MA [Re: Geoff] #774394 05/21/19 7:36 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline
Life Member
Life Member
G
Yep and I let you down.........I'm trying to pull something together for the fall event. We'll have to wait and see how it goes. You have fun....the route has ALWAYS been a blast. AND.........just a few seconds before Dave Roper comes flying around......you're out IN FRONT OF HIM!!!!!!!

Take care and report back......maybe it'll peak some interest.....ya gota poke these folks on here sometimes but once you got their attention......they're a great bunch to be around.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/22/19 12:49 pm.
Re: Moto Giro East May 24 - 26, Sturbridge, MA [Re: Geoff] #774462 05/22/19 3:13 pm
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
E
Gordon,
Are you planning on Mid-Ohio this year? If so, I am going and I am sure I will see you. I am also planning on going to the OVBSAOC's shindig in August. Went for the first time last year and had a great time.

Ed

Re: Moto Giro East May 24 - 26, Sturbridge, MA [Re: Geoff] #774469 05/22/19 4:24 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline
Life Member
Life Member
G
Mr Ed......yes I'm planning on being at Mid-Ohio this year. Picking up some jap bits from a vendor and looking for some other bits and pieces. I.'m credit card camping and will be spending most of my time at the swap. I'll do my best to make sure our paths cross. I've been to several of the OVBSAOC events and have ALWAYS had a good time.....laid back and well attended.

Take care......see ya soon. Your friend in NC Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 05/22/19 4:25 pm.
Re: Moto Giro East May 24 - 26, Sturbridge, MA [Re: Gordon Gray] #774473 05/22/19 5:20 pm
Geoff Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Something has come up and I will now be forgoing the Giro as well - another entry fee down the tubes... I plan on coming over to mid-Ohio this year looking for Puch bits, I will try to hook up with you lot then. smile Maybe I can convince everyone for the fall Giro in the Catskills... If there is at least three of us that is almost a team.

'78 T140V
'74 Commando
'69 TR6R
'67 Starfire
'64 Greeves TES
'58 Allstate (Puch) 175

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO