BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
paulberry
paulberry
Stamford
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering
10861 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 173
DavidP 66
reverb 65
NickL 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,012,134 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,774
Posts680,171
Members10,861
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (998John), 385 guests, and 683 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mercedes announces end to fossil fuel production [Re: tridentt150v] #774074 05/18/19 3:08 am
tridentt150v Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
There was actually talk of building a huge funnel stack [had to be very high, I think around 700m to a kilometre] and using air convection to drive turbines in the Australian outback...it is feasible but not yet economical. Solar is way cheaper for now.

And although big business is pursuing electric cars, the benefits to the environment from cradle to the grave are much less than the general public are lead to believe. The only real benefits are strategic ones.....oil rich nations will cease to be as important.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...r-the-environment-than-gas-powered-ones/

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Mercedes announces end to fossil fuel production [Re: Kent Shaun] #774245 05/19/19 10:49 pm
A
ArmyMutt Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
My next car WILL be fully electric, not because I'm some Eco Freak, or want to *Save the Planet* NO. I'm just simply sick to death of queuing up waiting to pay, behind people buying bloody cat food and milk. Our petrol stations are mostly little supermarkets, and paying by card at the pump isn't very popular here for some strange reason. The thought of plugging the car in over night, and never having to go into them stations is very appealing, only thing I'm waiting for is for the ridiculous price of them electric cars to drop, even second hand ones are silly money... frown

I drive a Nissan Leaf because I don't need another engine to maintain. It gets me to and from work twice if needed. The convenience is awesome. I pull into the garage and plug in the 240V charging station. I don't know what they run over there, but here, it's not terrible. I think I paid about $26K after incentives, with 0% financing for 72 months. I went with the Leaf because it had the most room for the money. The new ones have a 200+ mile range, which would be awesome. The downside is that they don't hold their value. I still owe more on my 2016 than it is worth.

Re: Mercedes announces end to fossil fuel production [Re: Dibnah] #774318 05/20/19 7:57 pm
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Dibnah
When it's night time in the Sahara, how much power are the photocells producing?

Relying on energy from Africa is fraught with risk.

And Iceland is overloaded with thermal energy....

The problem is NOT making energy. The problem boys, is TRANSPORTING energy.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership