BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
MotorEddy
MotorEddy
Lancashire, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Alex Lynch, B Mac, Lenz-a-lot, UncleYeti, harold2019
10774 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 128
NickL 66
MarcB 53
Popular Topics(Views)
947,603 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,493
Posts675,613
Members10,774
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 449 guests, and 827 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trophy top end rebuild problem [Re: Steve Guildford] #773613 05/13/19 10:09 pm
K
koan58 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
K
What is the reasoning for that Irish Swede? Were the dealers incapable of orienting the tubes correctly? That is hardly a fault of the design.

My old P/U tubes have the guide holes in a bulkhead at about the same level as the external flange.
Always found the upper connection with the rod cups straightforward, though care and a torch still required for certainty.
I have had some conventional gaskets over the years which have had the guide holes for the rods, as I didn't need them I cut them off, eliminating the possibility of the bit of gasket falling to the bottom of the tube and potentially blocking the drain holes of the tappet block.
It doesn't appear such a possibility with the covseals.
I guess Triumph stopped putting in the rod guides due to cost? Or maybe that they required installing correctly, as opposed to any way round?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Trophy top end rebuild problem [Re: HawaiianTiger] #773693 05/14/19 3:07 pm
S
Steve Guildford Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Thanks Bill - googled these cov seal gaskets and I think they are only available in the USA, so stuck with the ones here in the UK (but they do have the guide holes)

Steve

Re: Trophy top end rebuild problem [Re: Steve Guildford] #773711 05/14/19 6:01 pm
S
Stein Roger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by Steve Guildford
Thanks Bill - googled these cov seal gaskets and I think they are only available in the USA, so stuck with the ones here in the UK (but they do have the guide holes)

Steve

Funny thing, they're made in Coventry, England. I searched all over the place for them, but had to buy them from the US. I believe they were commissioned by John Healy, our moderator.
I've used them on a Bonnie and all I can say is that it was oil tight, but durability remains to be seen.
I've sold the bike, but I'm confident they work better than anything, provided the seal faces are good. I intend to buy again.

Re: Trophy top end rebuild problem [Re: Steve Guildford] #773730 05/14/19 8:59 pm
S
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Thanks for that - does seem odd! Business opportunity for somebody in the UK....?

Re: Trophy top end rebuild problem [Re: Steve Guildford] #773895 05/16/19 8:46 am
S
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Head and rocker boxes now back on - engine turning over so pretty sure the push rods nicely seated top and bottom. Just need to get the other bits and bobs back on, fill up with oil, charge up the battery, fill the tank and then the moment of truth....

Many thanks again for all the help form the Britbike community

Steve

Re: Trophy top end rebuild problem [Re: Steve Guildford] #773897 05/16/19 9:13 am
R Moulding Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Well done, Steve. Let us know how the test ride goes.

Rod

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Re: Trophy top end rebuild problem [Re: Steve Guildford] #775043 05/29/19 7:55 am
S
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Update...all back together again and fired up within a couple of kicks. Been out for a gentle 20 miles, and she’s running really smoothly, no leaks. Many thanks for the support along the way, both technical and encouraging. Nice to be out riding again!
Steve

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership