BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
Nor Cal near Sutters mill.
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Spot, longstroke, Lovatomi, Gary Hawthorn, Marcel Fekete
10897 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 118
DavidP 73
quinten 67
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,045,734 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,006
Posts682,443
Members10,897
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (Alan_nc), 416 guests, and 919 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chopper Junk #773178 05/09/19 7:47 pm
M
marino Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Hey guys,

Any of you guys want to get rid of that old crappy chopper junk parts projects.
Give me a buzz. I will be interested in what you guys got. pictures preferred with some stories!

Thanks

marino

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773321 05/11/19 3:25 am
hacksaw Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
where were you before i chopped up my ratty choppers? ?

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: hacksaw] #773338 05/11/19 12:35 pm
M
marino Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Late to the party as always

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773339 05/11/19 12:38 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
What do you plan to do with that chopper stuff?
Sell it on eBay?

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773341 05/11/19 1:08 pm
M
marino Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
i am looking for chopper junk. I don’t have any to get rid of. Should of say WTB on it

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773366 05/11/19 7:01 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
i realize you say you are looking to BUY "chopper junk."

My question is; WHY?

To RE-SELL it on eBay?

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773367 05/11/19 7:02 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I

My question is; WHY?

To RE-SELL it on eBay?

For reasons of safety most of it should go to the scrap yard.

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773382 05/11/19 9:12 pm
Tridentman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Irish--none of your business what he wants to do with it--unless you are selling stuff to him and make that information a condition of sale.
Just my two cents worth of course.

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: Tridentman] #773401 05/12/19 12:28 am
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Irish--none of your business what he wants to do with it--unless you are selling stuff to him and make that information a condition of sale.

I've always wondered ... How can there ever be a "condition of sale" for something like this?

I've seen people put up an ad for something, an old car or bike or motor or parts, and the ad will say "I will NOT sell to anyone who is going to chop or modify this, hot rodders stay away!".

Now, if this is just a guy in the marketplace, not a friend who is asking me to do something for sentimental or personal reasons, he has no right or expectation for "conditions" after we make a transaction and he has my money and I have what were formerly his goods. If a guy has a '57 Dodge, and says "You have to leave this car stock, I will not sell it to you if you are going to chop it .... " I will be non-committal and offer him his price, and after it's done, I will make a kirk and a mill out of the car, or burn it up in my back yard, or part it out on eBay, or do anything I want with it.

It's like the guy says "Now I will sell you this car, but you must agree to abstain from marital relations with your wife for 2 months after you buy it, or I will NOT sell you the car!". I mean, what do you say to something like that? I'd show him the money, tell him what he seems to want to hear, and disappear down the road, his asking price safely in his hand and any connection with him severed forever. Anything else would be crazy.

And what the hell is wrong with buying old chopper parts and frames and selling them on eBay? I've found old chopper parts in generic swapmeet boxes I've bought, or bought old chopper peanut tanks, old chopper frames with BSA motors and flat rear fenders in them, and I immediately unbolt the good stuff I want, and flog off the chopper tat on eBay, and it always sells. That's what eBay is FOR .... !!!

Lannis

I'll believe that it's a criss when the people who tell me it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis ...
Re: Chopper Junk [Re: Lannis] #773403 05/12/19 12:44 am
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
Originally Posted by Lannis
Originally Posted by Tridentman

I've always wondered ... How can there ever be a "condition of sale" for something like this?

I've seen people put up an ad for something, an old car or bike or motor or parts, and the ad will say "I will NOT sell to anyone who is going to chop or modify this, hot rodders stay away!".

Now, if this is just a guy in the marketplace, not a friend who is asking me to do something for sentimental or personal reasons, he has no right or expectation for "conditions" after we make a transaction and he has my money and I have what were formerly his goods. If a guy has a '57 Dodge, and says "You have to leave this car stock, I will not sell it to you if you are going to chop it .... " I will be non-committal and offer him his price, and after it's done, I will make a kirk and a mill out of the car, or burn it up in my back yard, or part it out on eBay, or do anything I want with it.

It's like the guy says "Now I will sell you this car, but you must agree to abstain from marital relations with your wife for 2 months after you buy it, or I will NOT sell you the car!". I mean, what do you say to something like that? I'd show him the money, tell him what he seems to want to hear, and disappear down the road, his asking price safely in his hand and any connection with him severed forever. Anything else would be crazy.

And what the hell is wrong with buying old chopper parts and frames and selling them on eBay? I've found old chopper parts in generic swapmeet boxes I've bought, or bought old chopper peanut tanks, old chopper frames with BSA motors and flat rear fenders in them, and I immediately unbolt the good stuff I want, and flog off the chopper tat on eBay, and it always sells. That's what eBay is FOR .... !!!

Lannis

If you put ethical boundaries as a condition of sale .
And the buyer does not honor those conditions..
The ethics are breached .
If no other enforceable provisions are provided for. In the conteact
The contract is enforced ...by the buyer knowing he has lied.

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773405 05/12/19 1:14 am
hacksaw Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
whats being called a condition of sale is a bit of an over statement. what i think trident man meant, is ... what if he had a bunch of chopper stuff that was actually worth some money in that market. say he had a nice bates seat. a real bates seat. he might let it go cheap to a dude rebuilding a von dutch triumph. but if the guy is trolling to flip stuff for eBay money, maybe he wouldnt offer it. as this is primarily an enthusiast based forum where many of us have dealt with each other as like minded forum members, trident mans question is a good one. buyer and/or seller beware is not what i beleive this forum is all about. i do agree when something is sold its gone. the buyer can do what they want. but asking a question before the sale is perfectly legit.

Last edited by hacksaw; 05/12/19 1:15 am.
Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773412 05/12/19 2:56 am
M
marino Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
You guys are taking this far. I just like the old stuff. I can’t be a collector stuff just like everyone?

Plus I like to change up my bikes.

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773414 05/12/19 3:09 am
hacksaw Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
what parts are you actually interested in? and for what model machines?

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773417 05/12/19 4:20 am
Steve Erickson Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Marino, welcome to BBF.

Wise choice coming here looking for this sort of stuff... as you can probably tell, this isn't a chopper-oriented group. Lotsa that sort of crap gets taken off project purchases, and is often considered virtually worthless (and actually often is). I don't think anyone has ever asked for this here before... as you might have figured out by now. Bump and re-bump your post to the top every couple months or so, it may get results. Good luck.

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: Steve Erickson] #773454 05/12/19 1:22 pm
M
marino Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Thanks Steve.

I have a 69 bsa thunderbolt. 67 bonneville with Tr6 bead chopper and 71 Harley shovelhead chopper.

I just like old parts.

If you got stuff that you might let go PM a picture or some info.

Thanks

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: quinten] #773476 05/12/19 4:28 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by quinten

Lannis

What does "ethical boundaries" mean? I mean, what would be an example of an "ethical boundary" put on a sale of an old motorcycle part?

I would never cheat anyone; never misrepresent what something was, never take a man's money and not give him what he paid for. But what is this "ethical boundary" thing?

Is the seller going to tell me I must convert to Buddhism, or promise to call my Mom every day, or never sell the part on to someone with a criminal record, or promise never to bolt a BSA part onto a Triumph? Seriously? And if I buy the part and don't follow those conditions to the letter, that's an "ethical" breach of some kind?

Lannis

I'll believe that it's a criss when the people who tell me it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis ...
Re: Chopper Junk [Re: Irish Swede] #773477 05/12/19 4:31 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Irish Swede

My question is; WHY?

To RE-SELL it on eBay?

For reasons of safety most of it should go to the scrap yard.

But why can't the buyer just buy what he wants?

Who is the overseer of "Safety" of old motorcycle parts? I know a LOT of people who think that every old motorcycle I own should go to the scrap yard, because they're dangerous to ride, metal fatigue is an issue after 60 years, and they burn fossil fuels. Who gets to decide?

Lannis

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773486 05/12/19 5:33 pm
Tridentman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
In the vast majority of cases when you sell something the buyer can do what he likes with what he has bought.
If a guy buys chopper parts for example he can use them in his bike, he can sell them wherever he likes or he can put them in the trash---solely his choice.
In my view the only exceptions to this is when a sale is conditional.
You might sell a bike to a friend for example at a discounted price on the basis that "if the buyer decides to sell it then the seller has first chance to buy it back".
What I find unacceptable is someone questioning a potential purchaser on this site as to his intentions after potentially purchasing parts from a third party.
With respect Mr Irish Swede-- if I can use a Brit expression on a Brit bike forum--none of your bloody business.

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: Lannis] #773489 05/12/19 6:09 pm
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
Originally Posted by quinten

Lannis

What does "ethical boundaries" mean? I mean, what would be an example of an "ethical boundary" put on a sale of an old motorcycle part?

I would never cheat anyone; never misrepresent what something was, never take a man's money and not give him what he paid for. But what is this "ethical boundary" thing?

Is the seller going to tell me I must convert to Buddhism, or promise to call my Mom every day, or never sell the part on to someone with a criminal record, or promise never to bolt a BSA part onto a Triumph? Seriously? And if I buy the part and don't follow those conditions to the letter, that's an "ethical" breach of some kind?

Lannis

you can play hard ball and say its only the money . How much do you want .
But if the guy says " i want the part to go to a good home " ... and you lie just to get the part ... whats the deal ?
It depend on the relationships with the buyer and seller ... and the relationship you have with yourself .
When that not-run project ...that your best-buddy gave to you for 20buck ... is resold for 2 grand ... whats the deal ?
Did you intend to decieve , ... and keep the money ... then you have honored your personal intent at the risk of a friendship .
Was the project in you shed for 20 years ... and you both had forgotten about it ... the you will both likely laugh about it over a beer .
Asking up front the buyer intent , as Irish did , is as valid a method ... as a blind sale .
Asking if the Chopper dude is a picker was an astute question.
The chopper dude is free to say none of your business ... they are establishing a Baseline for negotiations .

There are many conditions of sale other than "fee simple" ... where 100 % of the product .. is traded for 100% have the money.

Sold as ...Get it of my property today for 20 dollars .. you pay today but wait 2 months to pick up the item.
The seller has resold or wants a storage fee . ..
What are the legal remedies and ethical considerations . Did you break a leg or chase a redhead.
Did the seller need the space ? Or are they just being a dick ? ... Was the price part of the speedy removal ...
Is There a solution that leave both parties satisfied. .?

Last edited by quinten; 05/12/19 11:53 pm.
Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773494 05/12/19 7:00 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Well, it's sort of a going-nowhere discussion anyway because of the starting conditions.

Even though I had a disclaimer about "personal friend" transactions at the start, it gets all muddled after a few posts anyhow.

If someone says "I've been tasked with selling Britbodger's old racebike for his estate, but we're asking the buyer that it be kept in "as-raced" condition and not sold out of the Britbike community", then of course you are honor-bound to stick by that, and you wouldn't take the bike unless you were ready to meet those conditions (unless you were released by the people you made the commitment to).

Or if Shaun says "Lannis me olde mucker, I'll sell you my old bike for a reasonable price, but I want to be able to ride it whenever I come over there", then that would another thing that you would do and not violate.

But if some random dude on eBay or Craigslist puts some condition on it like "You can't never sell this to anyone who will chop it" or "I want the right to come to your house anytime and see my old bike forever", I wouldn't get involved anyway, because I'm dealing then with mental illness, not a "sale", and so it would be a moot point for me anyhow!

Lannis

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773519 05/13/19 12:11 am
C
Chris Johnson Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
I’d be happy to sell a molded 51 triumph rigid frame (not raked, bondo is cracking, missing a few tabs and has a “custom” oil tank mount) and a long Durfee girder with wheel and bates headlamp that needs new chrome.

Chris

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773520 05/13/19 12:32 am
Jon W. Whitley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I have been watching this since it was posted and would offer some advice. Edit your post from Chopper Junk to Chopper Parts Wanted. As soon as I saw Chopper Junk, I wrote you off and double that for being a first time poster here.

FWIW, I am a chopper guy and take this stuff seriously. I am also a lover of factory stock machines.

So, being the new guy, explain yourself...make an introduction.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: Jon W. Whitley] #773528 05/13/19 1:56 am
hacksaw Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
jons right. i like certain choppers myself. i have quite a few parts. i will never use them all. but i would like to know whom i am dealing with when dealing with people on this board.
lets hear your story mr. quinton. maybe i can help you.

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773638 05/14/19 2:49 am
F
franko Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
F
Marino: I have a Norton Chopper that belonged to a friend. He used Alumalite to do the molding in of parts. She needs motor work and the back wheel off-set corrected, but it is a future project.
So on to your BSAs.
Here is what I think of as a bobber that has a good stance and the rake looks to be thought out. Link
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
With the oil tank and battery tray in this set up, I think a A10 or A65 motor will look in place here.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Re: Chopper Junk [Re: marino] #773960 05/17/19 1:05 am
F
franko Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
F
Not mine, have just seen it while looking at ads.
Link
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Steve Erickson 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership