BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
busy
busy
Sydney Australia
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown
10860 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 180
reverb 64
DavidP 63
NickL 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,006,064 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,756
Posts680,007
Members10,860
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
54 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 462 guests, and 621 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NY to Toronto #773171 05/09/19 6:25 pm
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Just got a call asking if I wanted too and of course I said yes.... So if it goes through I might be delivery one of these electric bikes to Toronto.... Ive never been up North wink so this will be fun.... Anyone up that way wanna meet for a beer or dinner or what ever? I have also never been to Niagara falls and I believe my route will take me past there. So thats one off my bucket list if it happens....

Is there anything I need to know about crossing the border with a dealer registered motorcycle.... ? It will be returning as well... Its just a loan for a month or so...

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773212 05/10/19 6:37 am
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Wade man dud, you amaze me man, you've been to the other side of the planet, but never been to your neighbours... shocked

FIRST thing y'all want to do is, get in touch with Lannis, sorry lad I've forgotten the road. But NEVER the place, get yourself along to Jeanies Dream motel. And ask after Vinnie Kavanar, he's an old New York cop. Got the TV accent too, say hi from me. Their place is but a short ride to the Falls so won't put you out too much, you'll see the mist before you see the falls. Do the *Tourist* thang, and take one of them 'Maids of the Mist' boat trips, well worth the BS lad... wink

As for crossing the boarder, don't forget it's a different country, Lannis had grief from the Wasp chewing Bulldog of a woman customs officer, I'm convinced it was cos he was trying to get into the country with his drivers licence, might be best if you take your passport..? As long as you don't leave it with the bike..! AGAIN..!!.. facepalm

And remember lad, due to it being another country, they use different money over there. And they tend to say " No Doot Aboot it eh" a lot... laughing

The Red London bus parked up near the Falls, used to roll around where I used to live, might've even taken that very bus to school or gone out on it with me school mates... shocked

ONE day I'll get back there, and start a Canadian bike ride from the Falls, I've got me a hankering to explore that wonderful country, I love their accent. And let's be honest here, who doesn't want to be a Lumberjack, swinging from tree to tree with your best girl by your side... grin

Last edited by Kent Shaun; 05/10/19 8:23 am.

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773213 05/10/19 6:56 am
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Dude, while sitting here I had me a mooch, and found all what ya need....

1354 Hwy 20, West Winfield, NY 13491, USA

If you take the BORING route, it'll be an 8hr ride to Toronto, then you'll miss out talking with Vinney. Take that Hwy 20 and enjoy.... wink

Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773234 05/10/19 11:04 am
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Crossing the border? Canadians like paperwork so have plenty of it, lol.....I live about 25 miles south east of Rochester NY, easy access from the Thruway if that's the route you're taking.. I'm not much of a beer drinker but I am a good listener.....

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773237 05/10/19 12:32 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
Wade, you had better check with U.S immigration to learn if you need some form of Federal I.D. to get back into the USA when you return from Canada. I have been told re-crossing the border isn't so easy anymore.

If you have a current U.S. Passport, bring it with you.

Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773239 05/10/19 1:07 pm
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
You should also check with Canadian customs to see if you need a Carnet for temporary import of the motorcycle.

Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773240 05/10/19 2:01 pm
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Good advice everyone... Thanks .... Sounds like I'll either be get a vibrating bed at a sleazy motel or hanging out with fellow brit biker friends , or both.... ... I'll look for your red double decker Shaun.... The Carnet is a good question to ask. This company is notorious for doing paperwork at the last minute, so I will stay on top of that.... I don't want border crossing time to eat into my fun time.... Then it would feel too much like work shocked

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773241 05/10/19 2:08 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A passport is a definite going both ways Wade. We were also questioned going in and out about any food, including snacks drinks and alcohol, in the car. We had all three but looked innocent enough I guess and played dumb. Don't know about the bike but I suspect if it's intended to be ridden on the road some form of documentation will be required showing origin and safety compliance. Hide the Cheetos under the seat, pack the Moosehead Ale in your overnight bag and look happy is my best advice.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773247 05/10/19 3:08 pm
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
When do you plan it Wade ?
We live in Mississauga, west Toronto suburb and my riding friend, Steve (Bola on britbikes ) north suburb, Brampton.
Going from Toronto to Niagara by QEW or 401 / 403 you have to pass Mississauga anyway.
Yes passport and all the paperwork for your car / bike is essential to cross a border.
You can have some alcohol with you I believe, but not much.

Re: NY to Toronto [Re: Adam M.] #773263 05/10/19 6:51 pm
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Adam M.
When do you plan it Wade ?
We live in Mississauga, west Toronto suburb and my riding friend, Steve (Bola on britbikes ) north suburb, Brampton.
Going from Toronto to Niagara by QEW or 401 / 403 you have to pass Mississauga anyway.
Yes passport and all the paperwork for your car / bike is essential to cross a border.
You can have some alcohol with you I believe, but not much.

I'll take that as a hit to bring some local brew wink

Im not sure when it will happen but it sounds like it a good possibility that it will happen at some point in the near future.

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773331 05/11/19 6:33 am
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Wade man dude, that Motel I told you about ISN'T the one with the vibrating bed, it's a proper Olde Worlde (50's/60's) motel. Run by Vinney's ex-wife and daughter, and if Vinney is there he's a real nice bloke. Took us up the road to a restaurant in his massive Yank tank, then waited across the street to take us back, then when some people showed up on bikes, he knocked on our door. Just wondering if we knew them.... shocked

We didn't, but it turned out that one of them was a brother-inlaw, of a lad I knew back in the North West of old Blighty... shocked

If them Canadian customs lock you away for any transgressions, remember to let Mr Big have a shower FIRST, and whatever you do do NOT drop the soap in front of him... grin

Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773335 05/11/19 10:46 am
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Beer huh? My race bike rider owns the "Rochester Beer Park"...40 taps, mostly craft beer, bar styled with a Winnebago theme.On display is the two engine Triumph land speed racer I built..It's designed to allow motorcycles to actually drive into the courtyard of the bar.. It is like no other tavern...

[img]https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...4/1529061892827/IMG_2926.jpg?format=750w[/img]

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: Hillbilly bike] #773344 05/11/19 2:00 pm
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Beer huh? My race bike rider owns the "Rochester Beer Park"...40 taps, mostly craft beer, bar styled with a Winnebago theme.On display is the two engine Triumph land speed racer I built..It's designed to allow motorcycles to actually drive into the courtyard of the bar.. It is like no other tavern...

[img]https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...4/1529061892827/IMG_2926.jpg?format=750w[/img]

That sounds like a must see !!! Thanks for the tip .... Now I really hope this happens !!

Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Wade man dude, that Motel I told you about ISN'T the one with the vibrating bed, it's a proper Olde Worlde (50's/60's) motel. Run by Vinney's ex-wife and daughter, and if Vinney is there he's a real nice bloke. Took us up the road to a restaurant in his massive Yank tank, then waited across the street to take us back, then when some people showed up on bikes, he knocked on our door. Just wondering if we knew them.... shocked

We didn't, but it turned out that one of them was a brother-inlaw, of a lad I knew back in the North West of old Blighty... shocked

If them Canadian customs lock you away for any transgressions, remember to let Mr Big have a shower FIRST, and whatever you do do NOT drop the soap in front of him... grin

Good advice in any situation Shaun laughing

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773649 05/14/19 3:28 am
J
jfligg Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Hi Wade are you coming near London Ontario? When are you making the return trip. Our CVMG rally is in June. It would be awesome if you could attend the rally. It is June 14 to 16. Cheers Jeff

Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773653 05/14/19 4:17 am
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I will keep that in mind ..... I dont have any dates yet... But if its soon then maybe when I go back to pick it up? I certainly let everyone know as I get information...

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #773967 05/17/19 2:31 am
Al Eckstadt Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
OK Wade. If I had to cross New York State on a motorcycle it would be on Route 20. Route 20 will bring you through Skaneateles (Indian word for a thin book of maps) which is minutes from my house. If you're passing through at lunch or dinner hour I'll treat for Doug's Fish Fry. Very good food...and they serve beer.

A good north south route is US Rt 11 which parallels US Interstate 81. In Homer take NY Rt 41 up the east side of Skaneateles Lake to Route 20.
Safe travels
Al

Al Eckstadt
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #778318 07/11/19 12:31 am
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
OK ---Radio silence all this time then I get a text today asking if I can deliver the bike next Tuesday. I say no... I'm booked everyday till Thursday so now its on for Friday the 19th.... Im coming to Ontario on the 19th.... Thats all I know so far.... Stand by or pipe up , I don't mind , but it will be good to see everyone that I possibly can, where ever Im going .... thumbsup

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #778322 07/11/19 1:11 am
Al Eckstadt Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Keep me posted - especially if you're coming through on RT 20 or any east-west route north of there. Rt 31 is a nice road. Rt 104 is dangerous - too many fast drivers.

Al Eckstadt
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #778521 07/13/19 2:33 am
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
No further info yet but The Wifey might be coming along.... That might open a few possibilities of meet ups.... Ousting any thoughts of this big bad beer swirlin biker dude showing up in your town. blush

Good night

Ive got an early start up to Bear Mountain for a meetup with a Client/friend for a ride on the BSA....

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #778730 07/15/19 5:57 pm
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I’m going to
Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
M8V 3G5
On Friday . Thinking about staying over night on the Canadian side of Niagara fall Saturday night.. so just have to figure out Friday evening

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #778974 07/17/19 9:46 pm
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
So everthing is a go....Leaving NYC at 6AM on Friday. Hoping to be at the drop off point sometime after 4PM. That should give us a cushion of time in case of hold ups. Gerry is looking at AirBnBs near Toronto for Friday night.... But we are free until we set off for Niagara. Same deal for looking into AirBnB for there as well. Niagara Falls Saturday night and Sunday....then try to see the Rochester beer park maybe.... We could meet you there Hillbilly.... My contact info is 917-362-1115 for anyone who wants to try to hook up Friday Saturday or Sunday for that matter....

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #779098 07/19/19 1:59 am
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Loaded up and ready for an early start
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Notice that there are two bikes .... I got the call today that Sunday night I will be (should be) in Ann Arbor MI for a Monday Drop off as well..... Gerry is going to be tired of being trapped in a car with me for the next 4 days

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #779103 07/19/19 2:54 am
M
Mark. L Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
So, will you be driving through Ontario from Toronto to cross over the Ambassador bridge into Michigan? If you are, and have any troubles while driving the 401 highway to Detroit, look me up
I can lend a hand

Re: NY to Toronto [Re: Mark. L] #779107 07/19/19 3:58 am
wadeschields Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Mark. L
So, will you be driving through Ontario from Toronto to cross over the Ambassador bridge into Michigan? If you are, and have any troubles while driving the 401 highway to Detroit, look me up
I can lend a hand

Thanks !!!! My jeep just turn 366000 miles so I might need ya wink

[Linked Image]
Re: NY to Toronto [Re: wadeschields] #779127 07/19/19 3:22 pm
M
Mark. L Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
I'm 5 minutes off the 401, I can be anywhere in 3hrs or less from here to Toronto

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership