BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
twinspin
twinspin
Reading UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Alex Lynch, B Mac, Lenz-a-lot, UncleYeti, harold2019
10774 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 128
NickL 66
MarcB 53
Popular Topics(Views)
947,603 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,493
Posts675,613
Members10,774
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 441 guests, and 761 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
66 Home Market TR6 #772007 04/26/19 8:35 am
R Moulding Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I'm hoping if I start a thread it will help get my arse in gear!

So for anyone wanting some background this is an old thread for my TR6 minus the pictures (photo bucket!)

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/346742/the-evolution-of-a-tr6#Post346742

Anyway, summer before last I was being silly and popped the head gasket, this has been an on going problem caused by oil leaking between the valve guides and head. I pulled the head and whipped the barrel off to check the already dodgy little end bush. Sure enough it had spun and there is no way of saving the rod. Having split the cases I decided, as you do, to replace the big and main bearings and rods so the motor got shelfed while I did some saving. New rods were kindly donated by my employer and are sitting on the shelf.

Then life stepped in and some bad stuff happened.

When I got to thinking about the bike again I formulated a plan. My T120R was sitting there, I'm having issues registering it for the road. I figured I would just pull the Bonnie motor and slip it in the TR6 to get me mobile again. To the shed I went and stripped the TR6 enough that I could lay it on it's side over the Bonnie motor. Then I swapped bikes and sat down next to the Bonnie spanners in hand..................

Try as I might I couldn't do it!

So I swapped bikes again and decided if the TR6 was in bits it was going to get a good going over to make it the bike it should be. Hers the TR6 last time it had a good clean.

[Linked Image]

and the Bonnie that was very nearly a donor

[Linked Image]

So the TR6 was stripped to component parts, the frame sections were given a good prep and then a coat of paint. The other black cycle parts are slowly being paint stripped and painted in small batches and I have a bucket slowly filling with fasteners and various motorcycle parts ready for plating.

[Linked Image]

Whilst I await the plate shop I've mocked up the bike on the bench to keep everything together and have been cleaning up the harness and sorting the terminals that required attention.

[Linked Image]

Thats it for now, I'll keep plodding on.

Rod

Last edited by R Moulding; 04/26/19 8:36 am.

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 66 Home Market TR6 [Re: R Moulding] #772117 04/27/19 5:58 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Sadly Rod, starting a thread to gee me up on a project doesn’t work for me, I have an A50 Daytona, Bantam trials and 823cc thunderbolt threads waiting in the wings. The latest project the 823 is the only one which gets some work but that’s because:

A) the misses may go on the back of it
B) I can load it up like a camel with luggage and not have to keep changing the aesthetics of the bike.

The trials bike will happen when it does and if/when I have spare cash and the racer will happen one day.... I hope.

Back to the TR6, sad to see the old girl come apart, she always looks like a beautiful machine. However good call on the conrod! It was something similar which ended up with me doing a full restoration of the Honda 400/4

beerchug
Re: 66 Home Market TR6 [Re: R Moulding] #778356 07/11/19 9:50 am
R Moulding Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Well winter suddenly turned up after a lovely long summer and I've been avoiding the shed! I've also had to give myself a reality check, with my kittle Girl due to arrive in September the chances are that if I don't make my plans a little more realistic this bike will never go back together. So new plan, frame and cycle parts will be re painted along with side cover and oil tank. Lots of little issues will get fixed but the wheels will have to wait along with the tank and guards.

First of my little annoying problems is the rear brake plate. The threaded stud for the torque stay has been stripped all the years I've had the bike and had two thick washers fitted so the nut had some thread to bite too. Thought about this for ages, I wanted to maintain the original 7/16x 26 thread and also retain the domed shape of the original stud. The original fitting has a flat head on the inside with a relief cut for the brake shoes and is brazed in, I also wanted to retain this so it looks original on the flip side of the plate, bit sad really.

Anyway since I don't have access to anything that would allow me to make a replacement or possess the skills to do so, I hatched a plan. I purchased a new rotor stud for the crank, it has the correct thread and the domed top, I removed the old stud in the press and then cut off the flat head. This was then drilled and taped and the new stud screwed into it. I then mounted it in the brake plate and set the finished length. Trimmed the excess and brazed it into place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Came out presentable enough. Brake plate is the next pile to stripped and painted.

Then I decided to give the rear guard a scrub and polish to see if it can be made presentable after 12 years of abuse. I started by scrubbing the underside with a little thinner on some rag. Cant help but love stone chip!

[Linked Image]

Then flipped it over

[Linked Image]

A quick wash and gentle sand with 2000 grit followed by cutting compound and machine glaze.

[Linked Image]

It will have to do. So I popped it on the bike and rested the tank on to make me feel better.

[Linked Image]

Rod

Last edited by R Moulding; 07/11/19 9:53 am.

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Re: 66 Home Market TR6 [Re: R Moulding] #778455 07/12/19 11:33 am
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
1966 was a year of beautiful paint schemes for Triumph. Pacific Blue and Alaskan White were the colors as names used for the TR6 in the USA. If either a '66 TR6 or T-Bird came my way, I'd grab onto it.

I am putting together a '70 TR6R. It will be as original. I am not fond of the "Spring Gold" color, but it is what it is,
(it looks like "metallic pea soup green" to me.)

It will be built for cruising enjoyment...maybe just 8:1 compression to run on today's lousy gas.

Re: 66 Home Market TR6 [Re: R Moulding] #778705 07/15/19 12:47 pm
GrandPaul Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Very nice indeed.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership