BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
JTsmks
JTsmks
Orange Park Florida
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown, Snow's Cycles, Scottboy
10858 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 169
reverb 62
NickL 49
Popular Topics(Views)
1,004,143 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,695
Posts679,611
Members10,858
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
56 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 340 guests, and 899 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Engine sprocket & shock absorber #771744 04/22/19 3:56 am
B
BevanC Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Hi folks,
I posted this query on the AOMCC forum but am a bit uneasy with the reply, so would appreciate another opinion:

I bought a 23 tooth sprocket to replace the 19 tooth one on my 1950 VB; but having dissembled the primary side, I find that the lobe profile is not the same, so it doesn't match up with the shock absorber/sliding member. The lobes are different widths and have a different curvature - the load bearing surface would be much less. I gather the 23 tooth sprocket is probably for an earlier (pre 1945 Ariel).

This video shows the issue:

https://youtu.be/LC15GBjO9u4

My question is: am I safe to fit this on or not ? I've been told - yes, people have done this, but I'm concerned. There is very little contact surface so it will wear rapidly - but is it likely to be able to perform correctly and transmit the engine power safely ?

Or should I admit I stuffed up and get a suitable sprocket made ?

Cheers, Bevan

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Engine sprocket & shock absorber [Re: BevanC] #771745 04/22/19 4:55 am
Magnetoman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by BevanC
I find that the lobe profile is not the same,
I hadn't seen your AOMCC post until just now but you'd be well advised to ignore what you read there. The attached photograph is of the two pieces of a 19T sprocket I bought for my 1928 Ariel, which looks very much like one of yours. The problem was just the sprocket itself originally came and it doesn't match the cam I already have with the 23T on my bike, which looks like the other one of yours. Once I discovered the problem I was able to buy the mating cam as well as the spring, which also is different. .

Anyway, there seem to be early (as in pre-'29) and late (as in '29 through at least the time of yours) sprocket assemblies. Mis-mating sprockets and cams is the wrong thing to do.

Attached Files Sprocket.jpg
Re: Engine sprocket & shock absorber [Re: BevanC] #771747 04/22/19 6:10 am
B
BevanC Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Hi MM,
Thanks very much for confirming my gut feel that fitting this up is the wrong thing to do. They must have been designed to have mating surfaces, anything else is just not sensible.

While I lack British motorcycle experience, the Physics teacher in me was screaming that this was not o.k. !

I'll go with my initial plan and get a correct sprocket made locally

Cheers,
Bevan

Last edited by BevanC; 04/22/19 6:10 am.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership