BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Lando
Lando
Missouri City, TX
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
B1KAR, Colin Peters, Richard77, Jon law, Honey Badger
10907 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 94
quinten 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,261 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,046
Posts682,937
Members10,907
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
72 registered members (Alex Lynch), 508 guests, and 841 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Emgo A65 mufflers #771540 04/19/19 9:53 pm
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
One of the Toga brand mufflers on my ‘66 A65 was looking pretty tired. The chrome had lost the shine. I can’t bitch about it too much, since I bought them used and they have been been on the bike at least 10 or 15 years. MAP is advertising A65 mufflers on eBay for $230 a pair. I ordered them and they turned out to be Emgos. Normally I am not a big fan of Emgo parts, but these were dimensionally right on the money, the chrome looks great and they sound fabulous. Peering in side, they are straight through with a perforated tube. We will see how well they hold up, but at this point, they appear to be high quality at a bargain price!

Ed from NJ

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771565 04/20/19 12:35 am
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Ed, tell me again, do the Emgos sound like the Togas? Because I heard they were obnoxiously loud. I remember hearing Togas on an A65 once and I thought they sounded good. If the Emgos sound like that, I may consider a pair.

I have Armours now. I've had them since around 1988. I've always felt that they're too quiet (and possibly too restrictive), and now they're starting to show their age.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771569 04/20/19 1:25 am
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
Mark,
They sound great to me. I don’t think they are too loud. They don’t have that tinny sound some aftermarket mufflers do.

Ed from NJ

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: Mark Z] #771591 04/20/19 5:15 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z
Ed, tell me again, do the Emgos sound like the Togas? Because I heard they were obnoxiously loud. I remember hearing Togas on an A65 once and I thought they sounded good. If the Emgos sound like that, I may consider a pair.

I have Armours now. I've had them since around 1988. I've always felt that they're too quiet (and possibly too restrictive), and now they're starting to show their age.

I prefer the Brituro silencers not much more but a sweet note and perform well too, the emgos are a touch louder but sound good (I have a set of triumph ones)
The armours ones are much quieter and neighbour friendly in that sense, but knock the power back and kill throttle response which was why I ditched them (they’re also fatter and with stock brackets fouled the kick start)

Get the emgos (I’m thinking the emgos are the same as the Wassell branded ones?? Apologies if I’m wrong) if you want the sound dimming down, sleeve the tail pipe. Biggest problem is the pipe used on the tail section is the same as the sleeve pipe on the inlet, knocking back some midrange power and increasing noise. If your fortunate enough to find an original you’ll see the outlet pipe is the same OD as the down pipe. So some 1.5” pipe with 1.5mm wall and some 1 3/8 pipe with same wall thickness will slide in the tail, improve the exhaust note and thicken up the midrange.

beerchug
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771593 04/20/19 5:44 am
W
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
W
Bought a pair of Emgos for the road T100. They fit and look good but don't sound the same as the ones that I got with the bike. The ones that came on the bike were one straight through and one with baffles along with non matching pipes so I assumed the bike had had a spill and one side was replaced at some time. No complaints and about the same price as above.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771611 04/20/19 2:26 pm
No Name Man Online Content
Life member
Online Content
Life member
Ed...I put straight-thru Emgos on the Tbolt when the originals finally got bad enough to annoy me. They do seem a little louder than the originals (which had baffles). Only complaint I have is you can see the weld point circumference unlike the originals.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771619 04/20/19 4:33 pm
R
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
I have the emgos on my 68 A65 and so far they have been on for 4k miles they are too loud for me so I put 'slip in' baffles and that toned them down a bit

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771637 04/20/19 7:32 pm
B
barncobob Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
when i first got my 69 T it had some funkified mufflers on it,,read Emgos where not that great,, searched and found the original mfgrs. of BSA pipes,,oredered a pair from this outfit in England,,look original, good quality, great chrome, baffles,,sounds like i used to remember BSA sounding,,think it was $350 shipped to CA.

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: barncobob] #771668 04/21/19 2:57 am
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by barncobob
searched and found the original mfgrs. of BSA pipes,,oredered a pair from this outfit in England.

Only company that could possibly be would be armours, and if they by chance were they aren’t made to the original specs, otherwise I’d suspect you’d been fed porkies there.

beerchug
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771692 04/21/19 3:29 pm
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by edunham
Mark,
They sound great to me. I don’t think they are too loud. They don’t have that tinny sound some aftermarket mufflers do.

Ed from NJ

From some of the other replies, it sounds like there are Emgos with baffles and those without. Do yours have baffles?

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: Allan Gill] #771697 04/21/19 4:33 pm
B
barncobob Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
nonethe less,,the mufflers are quality built, excellent chrome and baffles, sounds perfect...the company is Brituro, Birmingham West Midlands.. $231+$75 shipping to Northern Ca. took 3 weeks

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: barncobob] #771702 04/21/19 5:17 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by barncobob
nonethe less,,the mufflers are quality built, excellent chrome and baffles, sounds perfect...the company is Brituro, Birmingham West Midlands.. $231+$75 shipping to Northern Ca. took 3 weeks

I have a set for mine (although running a Dunstall mega at the moment) they are excellent, just wish they would make a clubmans silencer.

beerchug
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771704 04/21/19 6:34 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
When I lived in Birmingham in the early 80's and wanted pipes and silencers I went to a small company between Aston University campus and Bracebridge St, they did all the pipes and exhausts for all the UK makes, never asked them if they made the originals but it was likely they did. Their name escapes me and the site is long gone and student accommodation now.

Brituro went into voluntary liquidation in Nov 2018, so buy up any stock now.

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771710 04/21/19 7:33 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
That’s real sad news. Looks like I need to see if they made OIF megas

beerchug
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771765 04/22/19 1:24 pm
KC in S.B. Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Mark,........ You may be recalling my "too Barky" post. They look good, fit, and mine now have the "can opener" baffles in them. Even so, still not the sound I would like to have, but I'm not embaressed by them anymore. I can bring the bike home without being obnoxious. Just my $.02.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH on the way to Japan!
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771766 04/22/19 1:24 pm
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
Mark,
No baffles. Straight through with a perforated tube. I imagine if I cut it open, I would find that the tube is wrapped with steel wool or fiberglass.

Ed from NJ

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771782 04/22/19 4:49 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mark,
No baffles. Straight through with a perforated tube. I imagine if I cut it open, I would find that the tube is wrapped with steel wool or fiberglass.

Ed from NJ

Very often they aren’t.

beerchug
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771819 04/23/19 1:12 am
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mark,

Ed from NJ

Ed, the perforated tube IS a baffle, no? I mean, I've seen mufflers that were nothing more than a hollow shell!

I agree with Allan, it's probably not wrapped, especially if the baffle (perforated tube) is not removable. I have a pair of Rocky "trumpets" with removable baffles. They were originally wrapped, or packed, but the packing deteriorated and started coming out so I removed it. Point is, the mufflers didn't sound much different with the packing removed. Now with the baffles removed, Good God it was loud! ...and the engine wouldn't rev.

All told, I think I may give the Emgos a try.

Mark Z

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771821 04/23/19 1:25 am
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
The emgo 'dunstal' copies are good, easy to remove centre tube and add glass wool to taste. I tend to like them quite quiet thesedays.
A little attention to the bracket/fixing method makes things a little better, single sliding bolt attachment is a bit lightweight.
Put a large bolt/blank in the centre baffle tube from the inside to give them a little more restriction, helps with the 'go' especially with linked headers.
The short emgo meggas are crap in my opinion, but very popular.

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771852 04/23/19 1:32 pm
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
Mark,
A baffle would be a plate or plates, or something similar, that redirects or impedes the exhaust impulse. I do not consider a straight through perforated tube to be a baffle.

Ed from NJ

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771861 04/23/19 3:45 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I do not consider a straight through perforated tube to be a baffle.

Same here, they are absorption type silencers, you can see through them but the perforated tube takes the edge off the flow, absorbs it into the outer chamber and then adds it back into the flow taking the edge off the pulse.

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: Allan Gill] #771864 04/23/19 4:49 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mark,
A baffle would be a plate or plates, or something similar, that redirects or impedes the exhaust impulse. I do not consider a straight through perforated tube to be a baffle.

Ed from NJ

You might not, but no disrespect when I say it wouldn’t make a good argument. you could always read a book on exhaust tuning. But what Mark says is very much correct.

One of the biggest problems with glass packing is that it eventually blows itself out of the tail pipe. Whilst it adds some noise reduction it isn’t much. And as previously mentioned you get more problem because of the size of the outlet pipe on the exhaust. Ever see a boy racer with a massive tail pipe making a [***] load of noise but not a great deal of “go”. This is what most exhaust silencers are. A louvered baffle will only worsen performance more, a straight baffle tube is the better option.

To save repeating myself....
Originally Posted by Allan Gill

if you want the sound dimming down, sleeve the tail pipe. Biggest problem is the pipe used on the tail section is the same as the sleeve pipe on the inlet, knocking back some midrange power and increasing noise. If your fortunate enough to find an original you’ll see the outlet pipe is the same OD as the down pipe. So some 1.5” pipe with 1.5mm wall and some 1 3/8 pipe with same wall thickness will slide in the tail, improve the exhaust note and thicken up the midrange.

beerchug
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771868 04/23/19 8:12 pm
gunner Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I don't remember who sold me the silencers on my A65, but it was one of the UK based suppliers (Classic Bike Shop, Fecked, etc.) they are good quality and sound great.

The baffles are the corregated type which run around the inside wall and seem to help form a nice deep rasping sound not too loud and fairly free flowing.

I have no idea if these are Wassel, EMGO or other but they work well.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: edunham] #771869 04/23/19 8:21 pm
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
Alan,
I do not disagree with what you are saying about tuning. I disagree with the term "baffle" for an absorption tube. It is simply a matter of semantics. Kommando has it right. A "baffle" is generally defined as a device used to restrain the flow of a fluid, gas, or loose material or to prevent the spreading of sound or light in a particular direction. Plates or other similar devices normally "restrain" the exhaust gases in an effort to reduce noise. Absorption tubes on the other hand, may alter the sound but do little if anything to "restrain" the sound. I am speaking generally here of course. Under the tuning theory you mention, I suppose one could argue that having a less than ideal pipe diameter would "restrain" the exhaust gases, making a "baffle" out of the pipe itself!

Ed from NJ

Re: Emgo A65 mufflers [Re: Allan Gill] #771874 04/23/19 9:27 pm
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
Mark,

Ed from NJ

You might not, but no disrespect when I say it wouldn’t make a good argument. you could always read a book on exhaust tuning. But what Mark says is very much correct.

One of the biggest problems with glass packing is that it eventually blows itself out of the tail pipe. Whilst it adds some noise reduction it isn’t much. And as previously mentioned you get more problem because of the size of the outlet pipe on the exhaust. Ever see a boy racer with a massive tail pipe making a [***] load of noise but not a great deal of “go”. This is what most exhaust silencers are. A louvered baffle will only worsen performance more, a straight baffle tube is the better option.

To save repeating myself....

if you want the sound dimming down, sleeve the tail pipe. Biggest problem is the pipe used on the tail section is the same as the sleeve pipe on the inlet, knocking back some midrange power and increasing noise. If your fortunate enough to find an original you’ll see the outlet pipe is the same OD as the down pipe. So some 1.5” pipe with 1.5mm wall and some 1 3/8 pipe with same wall thickness will slide in the tail, improve the exhaust note and thicken up the midrange.

The packing i use is the gear a load of japper scrambles type bikes use, it's a very dense glass matting , stays in the pipe and makes a massive difference to noise.
If i fill the meggas with it , it's quieter than my car, i just use about a 1 inch thick lining. Same gear as the classic racing club boys are forced to use at many circuits now.

I remember back in the uk, the coppers would pull us up and stick a metal rod up the exhaust, if it didn't hit a baffle you were nicked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership