BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
glastrywhippet
glastrywhippet
co.down n.ireland
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mark Chapman, JacksMacnLE, Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi
10864 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 167
DavidP 69
reverb 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,019,909 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,806
Posts680,459
Members10,864
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
67 registered members (1958superrocket), 776 guests, and 938 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: rufusneckbone] #770837 04/12/19 10:47 am
Keane Lucas Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
If all else fails
Link

1969 BSA A65T w/A70 engine
1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor S ll
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: Stuart] #771077 04/15/19 2:11 am
R
rufusneckbone Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Originally Posted by Stuart
Hi,

Originally Posted by rufusneckbone
The bucket is a plain black (well, black and rust) model. It has the quick disconnect on the bottom, the ammeter on top, and one pilot and one main light inside.

This is basically standard Lucas. I'm not 100% on details but if the shell you're looking for doesn't have either idiot lamps or a rotary Lighting switch in/on it, I believe it's basically what Lucas supplied to Triumph (and BSA?) in '66, albeit they had 'em chromed and without the "quick disconnect on the bottom".

Afaict, what you need most is a new shell? If so, the basic shell is easy. If you then don't mind it chromed (or have it dechromed and painted?) and you have the "quick disconnect" and the other bits you want, it's simply a matter of fitting 'em?

Btw, iirc the 'no idiot lamps' was one of three versions Lucas supplied in '66, the others have either one or two idiot lamp hole/s.

Hth.

Regards,

Thanks. I am leaning more towards possibly using something that may have been chromed, and just cutting a hole to fit the quick connect on the bottom. Mine had no idiot lights. Just the top ammeter and two light sockets inside. If my friend can't weld something up on the original, I will definitely be doing what you suggest. Cheers.

Restoring 1966 Royal Enfield Interceptor 750. Looking for parts!
Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: Don Leaming] #771078 04/15/19 2:22 am
R
rufusneckbone Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Originally Posted by Don Leaming
This is what your headlight bucket looks like.
Where are the bacon slicers on the front wheel? Lots to do here but when done you will have a great looking bike!
Cheers
Don

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's it! That is the exact headlight assembly I need. Nice to see another one that looks nice. Very inspiring. As for the bacon slicers, they could be there for all I know; buried under 49 years of sawdust. My great uncle kept it in his wood shop, and why he didn't throw a tarp over it is one of the greater mysteries of the world. Seriously though, he probably never had them. As I have disassembled it, I have noticed little things here and there that seem "aftermarket" for lack of a better term. My goal is to have it back original, as close to how it left England as possible. Hopefully sooner, rather than later, as I'd like for him to see it done, and he turned 82 this year

Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: rufusneckbone] #771080 04/15/19 2:25 am
R
rufusneckbone Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Also, real quick, anyone know where I may locate a rear mudguard? All the online retailers I checked this week are out of stock.

Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: rufusneckbone] #771122 04/15/19 1:45 pm
T
tomoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Looks like you have one.
I think those are hard to come by, best you look into getting that one restored.
They say, "If you have the tin, you have a bike".

Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: rufusneckbone] #771133 04/15/19 3:43 pm
oilyamerican Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
" All the online retailers I checked this week are out of stock." "I think those are hard to come by, best you look into getting that one restored."
>Yep, the RE spares are catch as catch can; no telling if or when some of these parts will ever be back in stock. If you don't want to wait, get the mudguards re-plated.

"As for the bacon slicers, they could be there for all I know; buried under 49 years of sawdust."
> A sure way to tell if your uncle's bike had them is to look at your front wheel's brake drum... if you see unused holes in between the spoke holes , then your wheel was drilled for them.
They're pretty good sized, so would be hard to miss. A definite eye catching bit of bling for these bikes.

Will work for Guinness smile
Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: tomoil] #771186 04/16/19 1:08 am
R
rufusneckbone Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Originally Posted by tomoil
Looks like you have one.
I think those are hard to come by, best you look into getting that one restored.

I do have one. It's currently residing in my pantry. The only problem is, apparently someone at some point added what appear to be turn signals to it and added two holes in the process. Not to mention it's pretty rusty altogether.

If I can find somewhere locally to rechrome it, I guess I could find some way to plug any unnecessary holes as well. I wonder why the rears are so hard to find, when the fronts seem to be available anywhere.

Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: rufusneckbone] #771209 04/16/19 1:31 pm
T
tomoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Originally Posted by rufusneckbone
Originally Posted by tomoil
Looks like you have one.

I do have one. It's currently residing in my pantry. The only problem is, apparently someone at some point added what appear to be turn signals to it and added two holes in the process. Not to mention it's pretty rusty altogether.

If I can find somewhere locally to rechrome it, I guess I could find some way to plug any unnecessary holes as well. I wonder why the rears are so hard to find, when the fronts seem to be available anywhere.

The fronts are used an several other bikes as I managed to get a new one for my Fury, but the Interceptor has an extended swing arm, making it a little more rare.
You might be able to get the extra holes welded up before re chroming. I have had a couple re chromed already.
Good luck
Tom Oil

Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: tomoil] #771346 04/18/19 12:46 am
R
rufusneckbone Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
I ask this knowing that it could vary widely from place to place, but what did it run you on average to have a mudguard rechromed? Thanks.

Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: rufusneckbone] #771380 04/18/19 12:59 pm
T
tomoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
I would have all the parts that needed chroming out at the same time, fenders, headers, etc. And I think it would cost about 1000_1500 US.
Some parts are had cheaper new than getting re chromed, but certain things are hard to find new, like rear mudguards for an S1 and perhaps the headers.
I'm looking for a new chrome shop though, so prices are hard to predict.

Re: Headlight bucket substitutions [Re: rufusneckbone] #771429 04/18/19 9:06 pm
Keane Lucas Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
For any who might be interested...
Paul's Chrome
They have done motorcycle and auto parts for me.
Some said parts are holding up well,22+ years later.
I doubt I will be here in 2041.
You get what you pay for,at Paul's.
REgards,Keane

1969 BSA A65T w/A70 engine
1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor S ll
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership