BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Stuart SS
Stuart SS
Australia (FNQ)
Show All Member Profiles 
ShoutChat Box
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBikers, just sayin..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Newest Members
Vidane, BenM, New_Warrior, Chad Bradshaw, Bell47
10661 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 97
NickL 49
Popular Topics(Views)
876,177 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,570
Posts668,443
Members10,661
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
76 registered members (998John), 423 guests, and 236 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 38 of 40 1 2 36 37 38 39 40
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: kommando] #767733
03/10/19 3:21 pm
03/10/19 3:21 pm
Arlington, Massachusetts 02474
kurt fischer Online content
#irideslow
kurt fischer  Online Content
#irideslow

Arlington, Massachusetts 02474
Originally Posted by kommando
Burn equals Stream, same as Loch is a Lake.

Of course.

Kurt
1968-70-71 Triumph TR6R Bitsa - 1969 Triumph TR6R - 1971 BSA A65L - 1973 Triumph TR5T
1980 Suzuki GS1000G - 2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000S - 2012 Ducati Hypermotard 796 - 2014 Kawasaki ZX1000
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767762
03/10/19 5:19 pm
03/10/19 5:19 pm
West Yorkshire
Allan Gill Online happy

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Online Happy

BritBike Forum member

West Yorkshire
Really sorry to hear about your spill Gavin, I’m glad your ok and also that there isn’t more damaged with the bike also. It’s a dreadful feeling that when you think you have finished spending on a bike then something like this happens. Most important thing though is that your ok and hopefully very soon back on two wheels again.

beerchug
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767764
03/10/19 5:34 pm
03/10/19 5:34 pm
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
two things went through my mind as I left the road,
I'm very sorry to hear this. The most important thing is you're OK, but it still sucks big time to have to fix the damage. Last spring an Italian friend was visiting and we headed to the top of a nearby 9000 ft. mountain when my Matchless seized without warning on a curve and locked the rear wheel. My friend had been following at a reasonable distance on my BB Gold Star but at that moment had allowed himself to be a bit too close. As he passed on the dirt verge trying to get stopped and hit a boulder that took him down I can remember saying out loud under my helmet "oh no! oh no! oh no!". He flew home with some scrapes and bruises but otherwise was basically OK, which was the important thing. But it sucked big time to have to fix the damage to the Gold Star (I haven't looked at the Matchless yet).

Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767771
03/10/19 6:25 pm
03/10/19 6:25 pm
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Offline
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
A day later, no funny aches or sprains

For some strange reason whenever I've fallen off or otherwise injured myself, its usually day two when the aches start to kick in, maybe that's just me and hopefully you will be fine.

Although the fork stanchions seem to have absorbed most of the impact, It might be worth checking the frame and cycle parts for additional damage and distortion. I would get hold of a magnetic based inclinometer/protractor/angle finder available for a few pounds on eBay etc. see This Example. This device makes checking the rake angle easy and being magnetic you can simply stick it on the headstock or stanchions to get a rough idea that the rake is Ok.

Last edited by gunner; 03/10/19 6:37 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767773
03/10/19 6:29 pm
03/10/19 6:29 pm
Mississauga, Ontario.
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adam M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A

Mississauga, Ontario.
What can I tell ?
Very happy to learn you are OK, stupid metal could be replaced.
I'm just getting scared from pictures of the roads you riding, but something like this could happen to anybody anywhere.
Only advantage of this I can see your thread will get longer smile.

Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767781
03/10/19 8:36 pm
03/10/19 8:36 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Online content OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
This is not my first bent set of forks, although the speed was not high the stop was very solid. previously the frame has stayed straight, although this is the most bent I have managed so far. First time , miss reading the road , distracted by the Sony Walkman in the lid, I thought a 40 mph corner was a 60 mph, slid down the road on the side into a beech hedge, some gravel rash, new legs and clocks needed, 2nd time was a gravel road as well, sliding up to the verge got off with new fork legs only, and a fractured tibia, pushed the bike for 2 miles up a hill with a broken leg, adrenaline is amazing., This time the forks were pushed round to the RHS , caving in the fork stop and allowing the head lamp bracket to put a small vertical dent in the tank front side. The yokes are twisted, I havent touched it yet, the weather was grim today and its sitting outside under a cover at the moment, I had a quick glance at the front down tubes , no obvious dip , but tomorrow I will get the straight edge out. I imagine if the forks were of modern massive construction more damage would have followed through, the 35 mm tubes seem to have taken the brunt of it.
I fully expected the clocks , bars, wheel and headlamp to be trashed as well, but they are completely intact.
I am very glad I jumped off before the bike hit the bank finishing with a tuck and roll, learned that trick with my Ariel Arrow after swapping the 8 inch 2LS for the stock brake, huge mistake. The B roads in this part of Scotland are covered in gravel for large stretches , and cow dung, with seasonal water and mud, single track with gravel down the middle and a berm at each side in some places. There is a 6" strip of clean surface on each side of the central gravel bank, rewards precision riding, punishes any deviation ,as you can see. If I didnt ride these roads I would have a very limited scope .
Thanks Adam
Thanks for protractor link as well.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 03/10/19 8:39 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767831
03/11/19 12:57 pm
03/11/19 12:57 pm
West Yorkshire
Allan Gill Online happy

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Online Happy

BritBike Forum member

West Yorkshire
I've been lucky enough to have only come off twice, (ignoring when I came off during a riding lesson)

First time was on an OIF thunderbolt, I bailed out of the corner (having not ridden the bike for a while) and headed for the grass verge midway through a chicane. All was well until the front end dropped down a hole (covered by long grass) and the front end with the brake on dug in and bucked me over the top, a couple of bruises to me but got away with a broken headlight, broken P clamp on the bars and bent speedo bracket. From that day I learned to ride off road.

Second time was on the way back from denmark on my lightning, whilst braking hit a greasy section of motorway after the person in front anchored up. The front wheel went beneath me and bike flipping sideways and me rolling down the road. Thanking god that the bike went towards the central reservation and not towards the other carriageway otherwise it would have been really messy! A grazed wrist and grazed leathers to boot but again I was ok... The luggage saved most of the bike despite one of the boxes landing on the other side of the motorway (but not in the lane), bust rear shock from the luggage pushing into it, bent up the luggage rack and the rear loop, bent the handle bars and put a tiny dent in the tank, also bust the throttle/twist grip.

Worst part was it took nearly 2 months to get the bike back.

beerchug
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767862
03/11/19 7:48 pm
03/11/19 7:48 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Stripped the front end, came apart with some percussive therapies to the top of the legs.
Sliders are fine, front wheel did take a wee knock, theres about 1 mm of egg on the radius, side to side maybe 3, eyeballing it against a fixed pointer. Some loosened spokes, should true up OK. Damper bits are fine apart from the lower halves of the telescopic adjuster.
Tubes are creased just below the bottom yoke, worse on RHS. Will check / attempt to straighten yokes tomorrow. I can live with the tank dent.
Beat the dent out of the front mudguard, its not fubar, but its not pretty either, the stays were well out of whack, could be re used at a push.
Spent a fair bit of the day on Karmic payback , the Van guy was happy with some new suspension bushes for a Mtb rising rate linkage, knocked out on the Myford. The other helper got a guitar repair, fixed a crackle on an Epiphone SG with 3 HB pickups ( ludicrous guitar), a good square for his shed ( vintage rabone with fresh rule) and some good hardwood wood for a mantlepiece, All square nearly.
Counting my blessings. It happened 5 miles from home, got a lift in 10 minutes, had the bike home in 2 hours. Rural life has its advantages. Feel a bit weird today, rather over wound or "up to high Doe" as they say around here, otherwise physically no beefs.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767878
03/12/19 12:26 am
03/12/19 12:26 am
Illinois, USA
TR6Ray Offline

BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Gavin, having read this thread for quite a few years now, here is my prediction: You will not be happy until you fix the BSA to be as good as it was before the crash (probably better), and then take it back around that right-hander at least a little faster than you were going before. I'm just telling you my opinion, not trying to goad you into anything. Be safe!

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767881
03/12/19 1:20 am
03/12/19 1:20 am
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
It will be better than before, lighter discs , ordered from Grin last week, pre prang, should be here by the end of this week , the crash didnt hurt them, but there was pulsing in the lever from a warp in one of them ( both are a good bit thinner than a fresh set) and a sleeker front mudguard , there is a later type brace, flat U shape with the prong to support the front of the guard waiting in the loft , Progress in Service.
I will sweep up the gravel on that bend, I did quite a few of my favourite corners, swept the racing lines clean, bringing back 10 Kg at a time on my push bike, that was few years ago and the lines have got blurry again, probably the best way to get punctures on a push bike, used the spoil to clean up my back yard, two birds with one stone plus fitness bonus.. The one that got me has serious pothole issues as well, need to get the roadmen in for that. not sure about faster, but more chance of control.

On the positive side, apart from the ignition switch ( which came as no surprise, I have a deep suspicion about these items), all the other stuff came back to life after Winter lay up, surprisingly hassle free, just changed oil and filter, still to change gearbox and primary. Luvvin the 7 plate clutch conversion, it needed zero clearing on first start, first kick after winter, the clutch is fixed, acceptably light and has no vices.Old fuel too, poured back to the tank from its winter jerry can, i had topped up a couple of low cells on the battery and charged it overnight to give it a fighting chance. The motor will spin up to 6k plus easily in the lower gears, but theres no need , all the goodness you need is from 4-5 k. The two chain system is working great as well, the old one is getting a tad slack, rather than adjust, I just fit a clean 2nd, easy peasy. I think the adjusters have only moved about a turn and a half in 3 K miles, a lot of that in rain. Not as good as a Scot oiler but the next best thing and no oil / grease fling on the back wheel. I might as well do the tappets while I am waiting for bits. Cant remember the last time they were checked, about 2K ago I think.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767897
03/12/19 12:01 pm
03/12/19 12:01 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
so the sliders are okay, the upper bits are okay, the rest is doable. . .

sounds like you came out okay too. that's a good sign. the gods were with you that day, or at least all but one.

i took my old 62 trophy 500 into a monsoon ditch at 30 mph when i was kid. it did the old sudden stop as well, and did in the stanchions too. i got my foot stuck under the pipe and came away with third degree burns. but that bike came back.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #767967
03/13/19 1:49 am
03/13/19 1:49 am
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Aye, got off lightly,cat like reactions, years of falling down fairly paid off. Fork legs and seals coming soon, front guard s not available in Scotland, there out there in innertent land but i am dubious, calling Autocycle tomorrow, Grin drew a blank.
Will kick the old stuff straight if needs be.

Took the spoke key to the wheel, about 3/4s of the spokes were 1/4 to 1/2 a turn loose from dunk to ping. Hmmm. freshly built wheel , settled in? I will never know , tightened same and its all good to go, flanged alloy rims, Yay.. Weather is now foul, after the false Spring the Cailleach ( Winter witch) is pulling out all the stops, snow,, pishing rain in huge squalls, lightning, F8 gales. Good to be indoors.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 03/13/19 1:54 am.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768133
03/14/19 10:20 pm
03/14/19 10:20 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
New discs came, Ordered a new front guard from Autocycle yesterday.Dug out some old straight legs with scabby chrome, fitted them into the bottom yokes about 6" till tight.

About the winding sticks pre amble, skip this paragraph it might be tedious if you know what they are.
Woodworkers use these to test planks for winding/ twisting, one at each end of a plank and a quick eyeball tells you a whole lot about a bit of wood. Mine are made from a 14 x 2 x 1" approx lump, cut down the centre on an offset diagonal so they stack neatly each has a 3/4" base and 1/4" ish top , you need a wide base to sit well. made from Teak veneered mahogany salvaged from a 1960s control desk in the secret underground layer, each has a V holly inlay for centre, and one has black ebony end tips so it shows up. The ebony was fretboard end scrap, the Holly came from my own garden. Surprisingly handy , I often reach for one when drawing straight lines, long enough to work without being cumbersome, fancy enough to not lose , they sit in their own drift wood Oak base , bench centre rear.. Cheap to make. I cut the lump with a Japanese pull saw which has a very fine kerf and needs almost no finishing to bonnie up.

Got out the winding sticks, they are about 14 " long, one top, tucked under a handy cable above the bottom yoke ,one lower manually held at the end of legs, LHS lower stick end showing about an inch of + error , pretty major bend on short sticks, showing how far back the RHS leg is. with sticks level RHS .
Gave it the heave ho on the RHS leg lower end, nada, got an extension tube and doubled the leverage. Felt it move. Sighting down Sticks again, yup, down to about 3/8" ( See operator view of sticks in first pic, after taking the worst out, still more to go, the top of both sticks RHS is level, LHS you can see the error, sorry about the H bars in the way but to those unfamiliar you should get the general idea ). couldnt get it any better. gave up when I broke into sweat as the sleet shower drove through, ordered new bottom yoke, found one in 5 mins on that place, mudguard lower stays and 2 off 7 x 1mm nuts for the damper low speed adjusters to finish it off.
Either the T140 yokes are made of sterner stuff than the A65 ( they seem a little thicker as well as wider) or I am not the widbeast I used to be. A bit of both probably. maybe could be done with heat, too late, new ones are cummin. Close inspection of the RHS fork stop, hmm, there it was , gone.... not there at all, not bent back , sheared off. Phoned Norman the welder, once its rolling will take it down to his shop and sort it out.

Should have all the bits by the end of next week. The front wheel needs a good polishing, the rim was shiny out of the packet, has white salt dots all over now, will give it Begom Alu and elbow grease . Other pic at the pie shop, shows the lack of gap at the chain guard front, proper BSA one , Triumph no more. New Ally torque stay. 606 something , hame made, good stuff wider and thicker, milled at rear end inner to keep parallel, 6 OZ versus 12 Oz steel original, less unsprung weight, no more scabby long black thing, minor Yay .Anither ane doon.
Still havent dared put a straight edge on the frame down tubes, part of me doesnt want to know,, what you dont know cant hurt you etc, cant put it off much longer.

Attached Files IMG_1092.JPGIMG_1089.JPG
Last edited by gavin eisler; 03/14/19 11:08 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768213
03/15/19 10:19 pm
03/15/19 10:19 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
i never heard of winding sticks, nor ever thought about using something like that to align the forks. now i have to go make some.

are they winding is in, . . . the wind is blowing . . .

or winding as in, i'll wind up this piece of string ?

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768373
03/17/19 10:12 pm
03/17/19 10:12 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Winding the bit of string.
More bits came, very quickly for mudguard stay , 7 x 1 mm nuts, and new bottom yoke, picking up stanchions tomorrow, only missing piece is the front mudguard, hurry up Auto cycle.

I was cleaning the wheel, polishing away white corrosion, getting a shine up when the genie of the wheel whispered in my ear " if I am still straight and round, an alloy hoop, my friend the sturdy frame will be fine". Grabbed a straight edge, nipped out and offered it to the down tubes, still straight, major Yay, my mood improved considerably in one second. Thats when I spotted the dent in the DS zorst pipe, might be able to draw this out with welding, slide hammering and general bodgery. its not leaking and it fits otherwise.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 03/17/19 10:21 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768484
03/18/19 10:05 pm
03/18/19 10:05 pm
West Yorkshire
Allan Gill Online happy

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Online Happy

BritBike Forum member

West Yorkshire
If your going to weld the pipe Gavin, I would just fill the hole with weld and grind it round again. Unless you have a dent that’s blocking flow, then a smallish dent hurt anything or make any difference.

beerchug
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768509
03/19/19 12:24 am
03/19/19 12:24 am
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
The dent is about 1 " square about 5/16" deep, a bit big to fill with weld, the chrome is shot any way but the pipes do fit and I cant be bothered hacking up a new set again, Grin has them at a reasonable price, but he is honest enough to admit they will probably need "fettling to fit", I know what that entails . Until someone here fits a decent balance pipe set and crows about it I am living with the devil I know. With a 1/4" stud welded on and a bit of heat it should pull out. Its a B defect, needs doing , not urgent.

I now have all the bits. The front mudguard came today, wooo , shiny ( it was more expensive than the stanchions, but , it is UK made and looks top notch), and I picked up the stanchions, seals and fork oil at North West MC in Oban, the LBS. not bad for an obsolete bike in Outer Jocklandia, Gavistan province, all the spares to repair within 9 days. OK , I did have to shop around. The E bay sellers were the quickest, bits came the next day! I didnt order everything at once, if I had been more on it then it could all have been here in 6 days. One of the great things about this model, cycle parts are very easy to get.

The new disc bottom yoke is different from the old disc yoke, it has what looks like a steering lock barrel hole in it front centre? The bearing fits OK and everything else seems to be the same, dunno enough about later T stuff to say, it came labeled as 73- 79 suitable. Fork tubes and seals are same as before, they may be cheap pattern copies but they bend well and save a lot of other damage.
With the old bottom yoke removed its clear that its still well out of whack ,glad I got a new one.
Still have to drill the front mudguard to suit, theres snow on the hills down to 400' and showers with heavy rain between them, not in a massive hurry. On a side note, Saturdays Rugby match was the best I have seen since 1986. Scotland were 29 - 0 down at half time, England made them look like they had got lost on the way to the shops , in the second half Scotland lit up , got in front then the Auld Enemy equalised in the last minute of play. Even better Dee the ex polis woman who is a good friend was managing the Scotland team, and her son, a local boy, Magnus Bradbury got one of the tries. A record 38 all , at the end and no nastiness, great game. Scotland keep the Calcutta cup. At Twickenham, . A much needed moralle boost for the nation.

Pic one straight edge on frame, the hold is sloppy in the pic, but it is straight when checked without holding a camera as well.
Pic two, dent in pipe, see the weld above at the balance pipe stub, its ugly, that was to fill the error created once the stub was straightened out, looked worse when new, going for the skankiest pipes on a unit beesa comp if there is one, strangely enough , they are still better sealed now than they have been for a wee while, but will have to come off for repair, hmm.
Pic 3 Scotlands mankiest beach Ardeer , Ayrshire , looking West to Arran and Kintyre. Mostly urban not marine jetsam. Apart from bikes, i am also intrigued by plastic, and the immense amounts that wash up for free, its the Seas Rich Harvest,I still havent worked out what to do with it though, this beach is where Nobel built a Dynamite factory , ICI used it for years, its the ultimate "Brown field " site, folk that worked there turned yellow. Part of Scotlands rich industrial herit/ rape age, Thats the same "Nobel" as the peace prize.developed dynamite here.

Attached Files IMG_1095.JPGIMG_1094.JPGIMG_1101.JPG
Last edited by gavin eisler; 03/19/19 1:21 am.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768764
03/21/19 1:09 am
03/21/19 1:09 am
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Tried putting it back together.
Top yoke is squint, not surprised, the bottom yoke was so bent the top had given as well, both legs nudged back , new one ordered, not just that, the new bottom yoke is not straight, its bandy legged, straight in one plane, legs apart when checked from the front, enough for my old calipers to pick it up, squeeze fit at top , no go at all at the bottom , more than fifty thou at the leg ends compared with the bottom yoke, NOS LF harris stuff, its straightenable, compared to the crashed stuff, but FFS, I see why they get a bad rep.
I have started a return on the place, Might be easier to just bend them straight?

Last edited by gavin eisler; 03/21/19 1:37 am.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768819
03/21/19 5:45 pm
03/21/19 5:45 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Spoke to KBH the bottom yoke sellers, they are good folks, rightly concerned if the yoke is not made correctly, returned same today. They are refunding cost and return postage, cant ask for more than that. New new bottom yoke purchased elsewhere, the new new one does not have the weird steering lock ? hole in the bottom.
At the mercy of the post /mail again. Removed the rubber mounts and steering lock from the old top yoke in readiness for the re rebuild. might have all the bits by the weekend. While looking on that place for fork stuff I was nearly tempted by a complete Ceriani front end, needed new stanchions but complete with yokes. Must resist temptation.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768822
03/21/19 6:31 pm
03/21/19 6:31 pm
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Offline
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Hi Gavin, sounds like another case of badly made pattern parts being unwittingly sold on by an honest supplier, let;s hope the new one fits OK even if the steering lock hole is missing.

Having not read through all the 33 pages on this post its not clear to me whether you are using the original BSA OIF yokes or a different type. Either way I would try and get a set of original yokes if possible.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768833
03/21/19 8:59 pm
03/21/19 8:59 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Hi Gunner, over Winter I swapped the conical front end for a twin disc set up using T140 yokes , stanchions and sliders, , I want to keep the disc set up, so its new yokes , legs and front mudguard to mend the crash damage.

i could easily refit the conical front end completely, but I see that as a retrograde move.

KBH were rightly concerned that the lower yokes were not parallel in all planes, they have a working relationship with LF Harris, if there is a production problem hopefully feed back like this will iron it out. I dont feel bitter about it, Its cost me a bit of time, they are on it. life goes on. i see one advantage in dealing with "that place " , vendors are very keen to protect their good feedback ratings, good for the punter like me, and maybe good for keeping quality standards a little higher. Rhymes with fossil wouldnt get away with most of their low quality stuff if they had a feedback reputation to maintain., now they are getting sleekit and buying up previously reputable brand names , rhymes with "Heap o shite" as an example.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768885
03/22/19 12:33 pm
03/22/19 12:33 pm
West Yorkshire
Allan Gill Online happy

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Online Happy

BritBike Forum member

West Yorkshire
Keep at it Gavin, soon you'll have the full Cockney rhyming slang wink

beerchug
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768890
03/22/19 3:05 pm
03/22/19 3:05 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Praise the mail, new new yokes came in the post , off to get busy.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #768916
03/22/19 9:38 pm
03/22/19 9:38 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
New new yokes fitted ( after an hours titivation, cleaning paint out of tapped holes and all the other machined holes, sloppy masking , otherwise fine), straight woo hoo , AOK, legs in, dampers in, lamp bucket on , springs in, , then it pished down and got dark. Nearly there. A bit of non inclement weather would be good, nae chance at the equinox, huge tides at the mo. The witch hasnt quite let go of Winter. Working outside in March is a mugs game.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 03/22/19 9:39 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #769013
03/23/19 10:09 pm
03/23/19 10:09 pm
Mississauga, Ontario.
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adam M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A

Mississauga, Ontario.
What temperature do you have there in Argyll, our mornings here in Toronto area are still -5 C ?

Page 38 of 40 1 2 36 37 38 39 40

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership