BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
longstroke, Lovatomi, Gary Hawthorn, Marcel Fekete, Changaroo
10896 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 125
DavidP 73
quinten 67
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,044,770 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,006
Posts682,416
Members10,896
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
60 registered members (Adam M.), 591 guests, and 926 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Head steadies - a necessity? #767965 03/13/19 1:43 am
Al Eckstadt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I'm trying to get back to working on Project 39-1/2 (see Brit Bike Specials) after about 6 months of being away from it. Now the weather is starting to lighten up and working in the garage will be possible. My next step is to make a bracket for head steadies off the rocker boxes - which are 1966 style boxes. So here are some questions.

I seem to remember reading that head steadies are important - so is leaving them off not an option?
Can I steady just one rocker box? Or do I need both rocker boxes held as on a stock 60's 650?

It's not going to be difficult, once I decide what I need. Maybe there are other questions I didn't ask that need to be considered.
Thanks
Al

Al Eckstadt
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Head steadies - a necessity? [Re: Al Eckstadt] #767975 03/13/19 3:40 am
HawaiianTiger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
My understanding is that your exhaust ports will suffer without head steadies, and possibly the entire exhaust system. I have seen cylinders break right above the flange on bikes without head steadies.

There may be some benefit with regards to vibration and handling as well.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Head steadies - a necessity? [Re: Al Eckstadt] #767993 03/13/19 10:43 am
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
You're putting the motor into a Benelli frame? Is there some place you've got in mind for a top steady? If so, I agree, it shouldn't be difficult to make one.
My take- use a head steady. I had an OIF motor in a dry frame without one and it was a buzzy ride. Finally made a steady and it calmed it down significantly. I'd connect both rocker boxes to some place on the frame. A piece of 3/32 steel would work fine - test fit, heat with a MAPP torch, bend, tweak, drill, tweak again, rinse, repeat. If it fits well without stressing anything there's little chance of fatigue failure.

Re: Head steadies - a necessity? [Re: Al Eckstadt] #767994 03/13/19 11:07 am
Al Eckstadt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks Mike. Yes the Benelli/Mojave frame has a couple tubes across the top and a plate could be tucked in between them with a 90 degree bracket where I could attach a set of original Triumph steadies. But I might want to try a different style of mounting so it doesn't look so much like a stock Triumph.
Al

Al Eckstadt
Re: Head steadies - a necessity? [Re: Al Eckstadt] #767996 03/13/19 11:33 am
P
pushrod tom Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
To bolster Mikes comments, head steady is very important for many reasons including prevention of frame fractures. PRT

Re: Head steadies - a necessity? [Re: Al Eckstadt] #767997 03/13/19 11:44 am
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Head to frame mounts are bike dependent ,some have them, some don't...Eliminating the mount when required can cause issues mentioned above...Using a mount when none is required may create a problem... On a custom build using a Triumph 650, probably a good idea..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Head steadies - a necessity? [Re: Al Eckstadt] #768033 03/13/19 9:03 pm
Al Eckstadt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks prt and hb.
Got the boxes of tools and junk put away that were blocking my bike worktable since November when I left my last job. Next task - clean off the workbench.

Al Eckstadt
Re: Head steadies - a necessity? [Re: Al Eckstadt] #768046 03/13/19 11:15 pm
T
TrophyGuy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
This old engineer's guess is that head steadies are as much to protect the frame as the engine and exhaust. Tying the entire engine-frame assembly together makes for a much stiffer structure to resist bending loads. Almost all modern motorcycles work this way, using the engine as a stressed, load carrying member. My guess is that loads from the front suspension through the steering neck are pretty significant. Without head steadies in place bending loads from front suspension would cause larger deflections in the top and bottom frame members and larger bending moments at fixed points, especially the steering head and its notoriously crack prone welds. Whatever the case, Triumph/BSA found the weak points and fixes the hard way. They're pretty crude pieces of heavy wall pipe with flattened ends for attachment. Being painted black and tucked under the tank they're hardly visible.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership