BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Dennis M
Dennis M
California, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering
10861 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 168
DavidP 66
reverb 64
NickL 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,012,290 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,781
Posts680,187
Members10,861
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
46 registered members (Beach), 328 guests, and 600 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Update from the Catt #765534 02/16/19 6:46 am
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Hitting almost a month on the Big Island. Progress is happening: Bike and van are now wearing Hawaii plates, I have a bank card that claims it's from Bank of Hawaii, and the land has been lightly tromped upon. I've been feeling at home since almost day 1, and as I am able to close out the old mainland life it feels like I've been here a long time. I was glad that feeling hit- I have to live in the here and now, so all the planning (that was well worth it) has gotten me to this point and I can more readily proceed with each days' new task.

Fortunately for me, my last 14 years on the mainland weren't too much different than life here. My house had two or three lightbulbs, I didn't use much water or make much trash, and hell- I'm already used to being dirt poor. A little sunshine, a hot cup of coffee, a couple bucks for gas, life is good!

Registering Penny was almost an easy task- all the paperwork was in order, The only curveball was that due to her age, she had to be weighed. At 420 lbs. I must carry a couple too many extra tools and parts. (Doesn't Motor Vehicles Dept. know you should never ask an old lady like Penny her weight?) Have gotten a couple of rides down to Hilo taken, and have avoided any major rains on those rides. I love downtown Hilo. On many streets, it is so unchanged since the 1950's that it is just like going back in time. The architecture is amazing, 1930's to 1960's with a very distinct Hawaiian flavor. I'm envious of those who still have wood frame windows- I doubt that I will find any to use when building and will probably have to go modern vinyl.

The jungle property is also simply amazing. The last owner had it since the early 1980's, so there is at around 40 years of undisturbed natural growth, with the possibility that it hasn't been touched since it was subdivided in the 1950's. Just got the front line and two sides partially marked today, this will enable me to get a D-9 in to cut a 200 ft. road and a building site 100 x 100 ft. I plan to leave the rest non graded and will hand clear over the years to bring out the hidden beauty of this lot. Can't wait till I can start building me a nice rock wall or two- but first I gotta build the house!

I don't need work yet, but won't have a problem come job time- those years cooking on the mainland will finally pay off when I need a job, the restaurants are always hiring!

Did meet a cool guy from New York who is doing the same thing and things- he's into bikes as well, so in a few months when he's back for good- we'll get a couple of rides in and see this beautiful place. Oh, and the best part of all of this is the Hawaiian flag- seems it has got a Union Jack in the upper left corner- Penny the Triumph has almost come home! Cheers to all! Deadstiffcatt

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #765537 02/16/19 7:27 am
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
And a cigarette. A good cup of coffee needs a nice, hand rolled cigarette! How the hell could I have forgotten that?????

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #765564 02/16/19 4:36 pm
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
When my Mom quit smoking many years ago she had to give up coffee, she said her cravings were the worse when she was having a cup of coffee.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #765574 02/16/19 7:36 pm
S
Shane in Oz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
It's a big move. Glad to hear that things are going well and the future prospects are rosy.

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #765582 02/16/19 9:03 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Sounds like you are settling in OK dude. Lets see some pix some time, eh?

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #765597 02/16/19 11:10 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
life-changing paradigm-shifts requre pictures.

get busy, please.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Update from the Catt [Re: kevin roberts] #765653 02/17/19 8:29 am
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Get Busy, Please???? Dude- the shipping cube checked in at over two tons loaded and unloaded single handedly! Not to mention learning how to use both a flip phone and an I-leash6 at the same time, as well as finding a place to live, get a bank account, register the van and bike, discover what really goes on in Wal-mort, and learn how to eat again with the newly re assembled mouth.
But since you asked nicely, Kevin, ya'll can try this:

https://inthelitterboxwithdeadstiffcatt.blogspot.com/2019/02/a-new-beginning.html

P.S. I kin git away fair and square with saying "Ya'll", it's my birthright as a native born Texican!

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #765686 02/17/19 6:22 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
s hit fire that looks like a beautiful place.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

where i am right now in the appalachian foothills i can't even get the truck up to the warehouse door because of the slush and ice cold mud.

[Linked Image]

what sort of structure are you going to build?

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Update from the Catt [Re: kevin roberts] #765689 02/17/19 7:32 pm
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
BBBRRRRR!!!!!!!!

I'm going to build a little cabin following more local style- single wall construction with lots of air flow. I've decided on a small fireplace for those 50 degree nights, it is also off grid completely so solar/generator backup, septic system, water is rain catchment. A fully mobile security system will also be on the property, not sure of what I'll name her but at least forty to 50 pounds worth of dog. Indoor living space will be about 240 Sq. ft.- just me and the cat and the dog. Miss Penny will get her own living quarters- with a proper spot to change oil and keep maintenance up. Besides, I did bring one last project bike that still needs a little space to be built in.

This is really raw jungle, so a lifetime project ahead of me to create an area that is natural in structure- just a bit of cleaning accumulated plant debris and keeping it a beautiful place. (O.K., who am I kidding- just a major lifetime battle against a constantly renewing jungle!) Cheers!

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #765728 02/18/19 7:23 am
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: kevin roberts] #765731 02/18/19 12:09 pm
D
Dibnah Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Originally Posted by kevin roberts

-
-

[Linked Image]

-
-

That dirt track looks inviting

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #765732 02/18/19 12:18 pm
Keane Lucas Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Is a vegetable garden,in the plans?
Catt,you're living the dream

1969 BSA A65T w/A70 engine
1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor S ll
Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Keane Lucas] #765819 02/19/19 3:53 am
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Keane- Yes it is! It will be a very different process than what I have learned on the mainland- Many new to me varieties I will have to learn, many old varieties that don't do well in the tropics, how to plant in rock, not dirt. I would like to be able to be self sufficient, but also plan on outside work or a job to keep me socially active. Regarding living the dream, you are right. A few years back I begin to question why I really wasn't living my dreams, and decided to do something about it. (Well, except for that one dream where I can just fly without an engine or wings- but I have been informed that leaping off a cliff and expecting to join the eagles in regal flight would only last a couple of seconds and result in a really flat ending. So that one just stays a dream.)

As motorcyclists we are fortunate in the fact that we are able to experience riding and what many people consider living on the edge. With sufficient planning and forethought, it is not that hard to take the steps to turn any dream into a reality, and step across the edge into a bold new world. Just be realistic about it- I am not going to score with a beautiful 20 year old Hawaiian girl, the Beach Boys Endless Summer is really just an album title, I'm still going to have to work at something, even if to just keep my sanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCoE3L4J8sM

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #765831 02/19/19 1:50 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
Have you learned to do the Hula yet?

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #766581 02/27/19 5:14 am
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Swede- I don't know if they call it the hula, but I sure as heck was dancing around a lot this past week:

https://inthelitterboxwithdeadstiffcatt.blogspot.com/

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #766615 02/27/19 2:22 pm
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Beautiful place! Were the pineapple & bananas on your lot?

So where are you living at the moment?

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #766618 02/27/19 2:53 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Catt,
looks awesome man. Keep the updates coming, please

Last edited by ricochetrider; 02/28/19 11:21 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #766632 02/27/19 4:00 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
what sorts of animals live in there? i'd be in there with a case of live traps the first day to see who the neighbors were.

you have a 200-foot road. how far is the pad from anybody else?

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #766647 02/27/19 5:30 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
That old D9 Cat is interesting..They are rarely used in the states except for the newer high wheel models for the most demanding work. ...Is the volcanic rock right at or near the surface where your property is?
Good luck on your project!

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Hillbilly bike] #766676 02/27/19 9:30 pm
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
In no particular order: The ground is thin topsoil of maybe 3 to 5 inches, and underneath all volcanic rock. I chose raw jungle because anything growing on it that has to be removed for a building space can be ground, chipped or otherwise turned into mulch and soil over time. As for animals, bring out the pig traps! Wild piggies about 3000 feet down the road, they root up yards and wreak havoc on gardens. Have also seen turkeys, chickens; the guy next door where I am staying is a hunter and has bagged a pig, and gone up around Mauna Kea and gotten a wild ram. (Tasted good.)
Fruit is not on the lot, for the time being I am staying at a cheap hostel that is 1 mile from my property as the crow flies, or 10 miles as the van drives...…$300 a month rent- and probably similar to college dorm life with single bed rooms, shared bathrooms, and the one guy that snores and the other two who decide to have conversations starting around midnight. (In other words, it kinda sucks, but won't be forever.)
I need to get some finer gravel on the drive and a septic, at that point I may switch to van life on the property while I build. I'm just not good at having to deal with many people at once, I could easily go my three days off from the old job without speaking to another person!

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #766677 02/27/19 9:56 pm
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
FIRST THING I would have done was sort out the nearest/best fishing spot.

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #767103 03/04/19 3:21 am
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
This past week things slowed down a bit, so I took a drive down to Hilo. Turns out it was a day in port for one of the cruise ships- this in turn led me to Banyan Drive for a photo and a surprise learning lesson. It seems that as early as the 1930's, Hilo was a destination spot for some of the rich and famous. Many of the banyan trees along the drive were planted at various times in the 1930's by then famous celebrities. For me this was interesting to note because this era was prior to the jet age, and really only the wealthy could afford a Hawaiian vacation- most travel here would have still been by boat over a two or three week period after setting sail from the mainland. Enjoy a couple of pics from Banyan Drive and Hilo:

https://inthelitterboxwithdeadstiffcatt.blogspot.com/2019/03/banyan-drive-in-hilo.html

Grandpaul- you would love the fishing here- some of the locals do a lot, and apparently no license needed- Verify that with Hawaiian Tiger...….

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #767710 03/10/19 3:37 am
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D

Re: Update from the Catt [Re: Deadstiffcatt] #767839 03/11/19 2:42 pm
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
HA! I could barely see it even after zooming in!

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership