BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
gREgg-K
gREgg-K
Ottawa, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychopasta, Dave Shotz, myB33, earlee, Ken Abrams
10784 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 140
NickL 65
DavidP 60
MarcB 51
Popular Topics(Views)
951,057 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,536
Posts675,970
Members10,784
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
50 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 388 guests, and 756 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #764634 02/06/19 3:30 am
gavin eisler Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The bezel holding on the glass is crimped on, I have tried to remove these, without the proper tool its not easy, and you will probably distort it a little but it is possible, gently work round the seam with a fine blade , once you get a gap use a thicker blade. The seam is hidden by the mounting rubber, so you can get away with some collateral damage and hide your shame. A decent glass shop could cut you a new piece using the old bits as a pattern. There are folks out there , Nissonger I think in the states ,who can refurb these, check the price first. Thanks for billet offer. The 4 :1 tachs are probably triumph types.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #764664 02/06/19 3:42 pm
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
Yes and yes, however you can buy a kit consisting of a glass with a new bezel + necessary seals which are mostly gone in these old instruments.
Not from Walridge, because his kit has a bezel too short.
3:1 speedos show up regularly on american eBay, but I'd buy a copy for $70 which is longer but fits your 71 rubber covers.
Their reliability is good and it's hit or miss with old original.

Last edited by Adam M.; 02/06/19 3:43 pm.
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: Adam M.] #764668 02/06/19 4:36 pm
Allan Gill Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Adam M.
Yes and yes, however you can buy a kit consisting of a glass with a new bezel + necessary seals which are mostly gone in these old instruments.
Not from Walridge, because his kit has a bezel too short.
3:1 speedos show up regularly on american eBay, but I'd buy a copy for $70 which is longer but fits your 71 rubber covers.
Their reliability is good and it's hit or miss with old original.

Just the information I was looking for on my build Adam, at around £60 for a pattern unit I’m quite prepared to pay that even if they only last a few years As opposed to buying an old instrument and then trying to find someone decent to rebuild it. The only decent guy I had for these has now retired. He used to build them way back when and was brilliant. He was always conscientious and the instruments were spot on for a good few years. But as long as they fit the OIF rubber cups I’ll be quite happy

beerchug
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #764687 02/06/19 7:07 pm
gunner Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I've rebuilt a couple of Smiths speedos using info from a book by author Graham Blighe see This Link, results were ok but you do need to factor in the cost of a new bezel and glass which are also available on eBay.

Generally I have found that old speedos found in spares collections have faults and will need rebuilding sooner rather than later. The cost of a professional rebuild is expensive and home rebuilds are fiddly and time consuming so not worthwhile unless you crave originality.

The pattern speedos and tachos are actually very good and much better quality than Smiths in my opinion. I have been using them on my B44, A65 and Norton for several years without issue and for the money it's a no brainer.

Regarding the harness cover you can get black braided harness covers with a slit which allows fitting over the existing harness and wires, see This Link. I've had good luck with these braided covers which can be used to renovate old harnesses or when making new ones. The slit allows the cover to be opened up and fitted over existing wires and also helps if new wires need adding.

Last edited by gunner; 02/06/19 7:11 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: kurt fischer] #764759 02/07/19 7:55 pm
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by kurt fischer

For BSA parts, I call British Cycle Supply -- call them up, they ship from Limestone, Maine, parts at your door next day.

Called him on Tuesday, too late for him to get stuff in the mail that day but said he'd get it out yesterday. I was going to make a brake rod but figured for $17 I'd just order it and save myself the hassle. Got all the rubbers coming for the battery box, fender mount and seat bumpers. We have a "snow" day here due to ice and generally terrible weather and I've been waiting for the mail man all day but alas... no sign! So instead I redid my seat. I think it came out well! I'll post pictures...

Last edited by celtrock; 02/07/19 7:58 pm.

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man.
I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.
-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #764760 02/07/19 8:45 pm
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
So my seat was just about as crusty as the bike... didn't even come on the bike but rather sitting on top of a tote with the tank. The pan felt pretty solid though there were signs of rust, a bit of damage but I couldn't really tell until I got that seat cover off.

BEFORE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After removing the cover I found the entire lip of the seat pan was pretty corroded. That lip was already pretty thin due to the tabs being punched out to hold the seat cover on. Having that vinyl wrapped around it just seemed to hold in all the moisture which damaged the metal. So I cleaned it up best I could and let it soak overnight in EvapoRust. A gallon doesn't go very far with an object this big, I put it in a giant tote but couldn't really get the pan fully immersed. I spent the evening tilting and sloshing the whole thing around. When I checked it in the morning I was surprised to find that it actually came out pretty well despite it all. Gave it a rinse in hot water, dried it, scraped a bit more rust out and painted it with black brake caliper paint. It's the only thing I had and figured it would work just fine.

I didn't like the idea of wrapping new seat upholstery over the sharp, jagged metal of the edge and wracked my brain to figure out what I could do. A friend of mine suggested that Flex Tape stuff... or Gorilla tape. As a guy who plays in a band I hate it anytime anybody mentions Gorilla tape. That stuff shouldn't be put anywhere NEAR musical equipment. It's Gaffer's tape all the time for us. But in this case he was right. Gorilla tape was just what I was looking for. I pulled some off, cut it down the middle and carefully folded it over the edges. The stuff is nice and sticky, thick enough to be protective and I don't have to worry much about it coming off as the upholstery is going to wrap around it anyway. I felt pretty confident pulling that fabric tight over the Gorilla tape.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The issue with the original cover being in such rough shape is that the foam in all the exposed areas had turned to a substance that resembled hard, dry brown sugar. I proceeded to cut it off with my wife's cloth scissors and replaced the bits with sections cut from a couch cushion I kept up in the attic in case I ever needed dense foam. Finding a use for this stuff certainly isn't going to help my penchant for hoarding! A bit of spray adhesive held it into place while I fit the cover. I didn't worry too much about making it perfect knowing that the upholstery would hold it all down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So then came the scary part; fitting the new seat cover. After convincing myself that it couldn't turn out worse than it was I commenced positioning and stretching. I did a couple of tabs at a time around the perimeter of the seat and once I got it fairly lined up I pulled like crazy. This was NO easy job. Actually pretty stressful for me. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, I know it isn't perfect but it works for my needs. Seat cover cost something like $45 on eBay, probably could have found a seat for that but I feel better knowing that I got rid of the rotted foam and stopped rust production in the seat pan. As this won't get much weather (if any) I can feel good knowing it will last a while longer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got new SS bolts and washers to attach the brackets with and next I'll attach it to the bike. That is after I get my shipment of rubber from Maine. Post Office probably couldn't make it up our ice-rink of a driveway so maybe they'll be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #764774 02/07/19 9:53 pm
Jon W. Whitley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Right on Aron, the seat looks awesome !

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: Jon W. Whitley] #765141 02/11/19 6:43 pm
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks Jon! I put it off for a while because I was a bit nervous but was able to sit on my bike for the first time. The folks who warned me that these are tall bikes weren't kidding! I'll have to de-rust the tank so I can put that on as well and get a real feel for it. Before that though I'm working on the headlight shell. Which brings me to my next question:

How on Earth does one get those indicator lights out of the shell without destroying them? How does one change the lightbulbs in them? I've a LOT of de-rusting to do and it's difficult with them still in and the wires still attached to the right one (as you look at it from the inside). The other two have wires that detach but not this one!

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765187 02/12/19 10:59 am
gavin eisler Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The idiot lights lens holders push out from inside to out, the plastic OD is swollen to grip the bucket shell, to remove the lamps pull the lamp tails they are also a friction fit. . A skoosh of WD 40 or similar will help.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765815 02/19/19 3:31 am
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Don't take my silence for lack of work, just been too busy to post or even take pictures really. I'm waiting for a batch of parts to come in and so I've been working on tearing apart the handlebar controls and putting the good bits together. It was no easy job. It appears that someone had the '71 owners manual which had the controls switched as one set of these had the wires backwards. Many broken switches and broken inner contact plates. Many cut wires. A lot of grime, dust and corrosion. I used 3 different bits of controls in order to make just one working left-hand control setup. Everything else is broken down into parts now either as backup spare replacement or to pass along to the next fella who needs a brake lever or clutch lever or the like. Here are a couple of pics I took as reference followed by the finished product.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765816 02/19/19 3:37 am
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Got the fender on. What a pain in the [email protected]#. An awful lot of work for such a ridiculous looking fender. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one with fewer spikes and fewer holes. Looks like someone wanted to join the Black Widows and go after Philo Beddoe...

[Linked Image]

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765818 02/19/19 3:40 am
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I laid the tank on just to get an idea of it all coming together. Note to self; avoid letting the Evaporust onto the red paint. It tends to wash it out.

[Linked Image]

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765827 02/19/19 11:43 am
Jon W. Whitley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Looking good Aron thumbsup

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765855 02/19/19 6:39 pm
gavin eisler Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hang onto the front fender, it may have been an English type with the front number plate mount holes, maybe blank the holes with a strip of SS? If it fits and doesnt rub the tyre be happy, repops can be a lottery for fit.
Going well .

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: gavin eisler] #765884 02/19/19 10:40 pm
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
Hang onto the front fender, it may have been an English type with the front number plate mount holes, maybe blank the holes with a strip of SS? If it fits and doesnt rub the tyre be happy, repops can be a lottery for fit.
Going well .

That's exactly what I thought. I was even thinking I could put some sort of plate there (though it would be out of place on an American issue BSA) just for the fun of it but most likely I'll lay a strip of that self-adhesive chrome auto trim... for now. I could just leave the holes, it would allow me to check in with the front tire periodically once I get this on the road...

Received my turn signals today and the new headlight bucket rubber to replace my hard, cracked one. Put the headlight in place just to dress her up. I love this part, it's just like putting together a Lego set... slowly...

[Linked Image]

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765885 02/19/19 10:45 pm
R
raf940 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
slowly slowly catchee monkey

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765898 02/20/19 1:06 am
kurt fischer Online Content
#irideslow
Online Content
#irideslow
Lookin' good, I like it.

Suggestion: take a *very* close look at the frame crossmember that carries the center stand and rear motor mounts -- look for cracks on both ends of the crossmember where it attaches to the frame. Mine was busted clean through, had it welded back in with reinforcements.

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: kurt fischer] #765927 02/20/19 12:54 pm
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Lookin' good, I like it.

Suggestion: take a *very* close look at the frame crossmember that carries the center stand and rear motor mounts -- look for cracks on both ends of the crossmember where it attaches to the frame. Mine was busted clean through, had it welded back in with reinforcements.

You know, you had mentioned that before and I neglected to look. Now's as good a time as any with it all empty like that. I went over every bit of the frame with steel wool, WD40 and linseed oil and I don't recall seeing any cracks but at the same time there is a place where the paint has lifted... here's hoping it's not a crack!

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765928 02/20/19 1:19 pm
#irideslow
Online Content
#irideslow
Originally Posted by celtrock
Lookin' good, I like it.

You know, you had mentioned that before and I neglected to look. Now's as good a time as any with it all empty like that. I went over every bit of the frame with steel wool, WD40 and linseed oil and I don't recall seeing any cracks but at the same time there is a place where the paint has lifted... here's hoping it's not a crack!

Ah, so I'm telling the same stories over and over again ... hmmm ... .

Anyway, here's what my frame looked like at that junction

[Linked Image][

Kurt

Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: kurt fischer] #765932 02/20/19 1:43 pm
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Oh, no I would have noticed that. Nope, mine seems solid. Looks like yours may have been dropped straight off the back of a truck! Do you know others this has happened to?

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765934 02/20/19 1:58 pm
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
E
There are chrome buttons that you can buy for the unwanted holes in the front fender. I bought some at a chopper shop once. Another time I bought them at an ACE Hardware.

Ed from NJ

Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765936 02/20/19 2:02 pm
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I didn't even know those existed! Makes sense, and in all sorts of sizes as well. Can't believe they're $3-something a piece! I've got something like 6 holes to fill...

Chrome Plugs at Home Depot

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #765941 02/20/19 2:30 pm
#irideslow
Online Content
#irideslow
Originally Posted by celtrock
Oh, no I would have noticed that. Nope, mine seems solid. Looks like yours may have been dropped straight off the back of a truck! Do you know others this has happened to?

In the case of my bike A65L HE 12xxx, July 1971, maybe one of the last bikes built before the summer shutdown, maybe built on a Friday, which is after Thursday pay-day/pub-night per Tridentman, I think it started with crappy welds the day it was built. A few other points on the frame look pretty poor, weld-wise. Yes, it happens on these frames. I guess if no new oil has oozed out of your beads after cleaning, you are OK!

Kurt

Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #766104 02/22/19 12:54 pm
celtrock Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Waiting for parts to come in so figured I'd get to work on the horn. So I pulled it out of the box of parts... this is NOT the horn that goes with this bike. I have NO idea what bike this even goes to! Touched it to a battery and it doesn't even work. Anybody know what bike this comes from?

[Linked Image]

-Mitch Hedberg
Re: My Rat-Trap of a '71 BSA OIF Lightning [Re: celtrock] #766108 02/22/19 2:12 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I have one of those horns, it was on a Commando and also not original. Some no name aftermarket junk (mines dead too).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership