BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Support Your #1 Forum, buy us a coffee :)
Still here since 1996.. Serving British motorcycle enthusiast's on BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
WingNut
WingNut
Atlanta, GA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
60 registered members (AML), 379 guests, and 536 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LanceH, 911speedster, cbowers, Ratbag, Kelly David
10567 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 97
NickL 70
Popular Topics(Views)
807,411 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,441
Posts668,802
Members10,567
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: trackbike [Re: kevin roberts] #721619
01/10/18 11:57 am
01/10/18 11:57 am
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

I set it back to 37 degrees based on the assumption the MAP piston design gives a faster burn rate and previously it was over advanced .....You know, the combustion must be complete by 16 degrees ATDC for best power..The best the 32MM Amals ran was 120 mph with a stock head..I never jetted them on the dyno..I believe the #280 main jets were too rich....After I had the head massaged by Rob Hall and he recommended the Mikuni 34MM TM's, the bike went on the dyno for about two hours where only the jetting was changed...A total of 8 runs...Then the bike ran 125 at Ohio, 127 in Maine and with a few inches chopped off the exhaust pipes three inches, changed cam timing and different gearing and fuel tank ran 133 at Maine..no other tuning was done,

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: trackbike [Re: kevin roberts] #721623
01/10/18 1:15 pm
01/10/18 1:15 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Online content OP

DOPE
kevin roberts  Online Content OP

DOPE

ohio, usa
you know, i did fifty airstrip runs picking needle jets, needles, main jets, and ignition timing on my morgo to get 117 mph.

which gods do you sacrifice to?

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: trackbike [Re: kevin roberts] #721625
01/10/18 1:36 pm
01/10/18 1:36 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by kevin roberts
you know, i did fifty airstrip runs picking needle jets, needles, main jets, and ignition timing on my morgo to get 117 mph.

which gods do you sacrifice to?

LOL...Superflow Dyno god...........The Mikuni 34MM flat slides come with #280 mains I believe.....I asked here if anyone had jetting clues...Pushrod Tom said TM's on his BSA use 210-240 jets depending on conditions...I showed up at the dyno with 210-250 main jets....the first run with the stock jetting was far too rich but none of that "8 stroking" guys often mention...I looked at the dyno operator and said " how about 220's ?. (he has years of experience running bikes and sleds on his dyno.) Ran the bike with 220's... power dropped slightly with 210's or 230's.....Ohio and the first trip to Maine was 220's..I changed the jets to 230's for the "worlds fastest 650 Triumph stock frame" at Maine last year before the racing figuring the loading at higher speeds might be better with a slightly richer mixture....
I also believe the guy who rides my bike is one of the best LSR riders out there...At 133 mph he's posting like a race horse jockey (full weight on his legs ,his ass slightly lifted off the seat) to get his back in the best profile for least air drag...

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Re: trackbike [Re: kevin roberts] #721626
01/10/18 1:55 pm
01/10/18 1:55 pm
ohio, usa

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
i refuse to believe that your bike is fast because of your rider. that's just got to be b ullshit. he can't be that good.

can he?

but this whole butt-up-in-the-air thing is weird, anyway. the bonneville people swear by it, but they can't agree whether it's because of the slipstream closure past the rider's ass or whether it's because of the air running between his legs. and who can afford a wind tunnel to find out? youtube has almost nothing useful with wind tunnel stuff.

but i'm reinforcing the footpegs on my machine anyway so i won't be afraid to stand up and fart my way through the lights, too.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: trackbike [Re: kevin roberts] #721635
01/10/18 5:03 pm
01/10/18 5:03 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

I have to give him some credit.....There's no way an engine built by a retired electrician who hand cut piston valve reliefs while the piston was still in the engine and honed the cylinders holding them between my legs using a hand held drill could make enough power.........Right? wink

Re: trackbike [Re: Hillbilly bike] #721656
01/10/18 9:14 pm
01/10/18 9:14 pm
West Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

West Yorkshire
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
I have to give him some credit.....There's no way an engine built by a retired electrician who hand cut piston valve reliefs while the piston was still in the engine and honed the cylinders holding them between my legs using a hand held drill could make enough power.........Right? wink

Burt Munro didn’t have those luxuries haha

beerchug
Re: trackbike [Re: kevin roberts] #764993
02/09/19 9:49 pm
02/09/19 9:49 pm
ohio, usa

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
lift is empty so the trackbike stuff is getting laid out, looking for what i don't have. forks first:

[Linked Image]

i looked and looked, and said, what did i do with the shuttle valve restrictors? looked all over the shop, couldn't find them. so i ordered new ones, bolts too. one of these days i'll clean up and assemble a whole nother motorcycle from all the stuff i've lost in here.

the rest of the machine is mostly there:

[Linked Image]

don't think i need anything structural. just steering stem and wheel bearings, i think. cables too, unless i have some kicking around with the shuttle valve restrictors.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership