BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
hein weijers
hein weijers
The Netherlands..
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Egbert JAS, turflok, Carl Courson, Roddy Walsh, Mark Creighton
10779 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 133
NickL 61
DavidP 59
MarcB 51
Popular Topics(Views)
950,455 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,525
Posts675,891
Members10,779
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
56 registered members (Adam M.), 377 guests, and 805 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G3 No oil return and wet sumping at the same time? #764684 02/06/19 6:30 pm
C
Chopper Rob Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
Hello All,

So here is the latest on the 56 G3. After draining the sump and getting her running I waited patiently for the oil flow to come back to the tank (ive read it can be several minutes) but after running the bike for a short while it began to spit oil out the breather again. I checked the tank and still no oil return so I shut her down to investigate further. I checked the return line for any air leaks and did the same for both oil pump end caps. I removed the guide screw and made sure the hollow pin was inserted the right way. The pin was pretty stuck in the guide screw so i cleaned it up a bit so it could move more freely. I removed the front end cap (feed to rockers) it did weep some oil so I knew it made it that far. Then I kicked the bike over with one hand and I could feel the plunger moving up and down with the other, but when I put my fingers over the holes for the feed and return lines i feel nothing. I understand these pumps push oil like old ladies push boulders, but if there is anything else I should check or investigate before putting her back together and starting her up I would love to hear.

As always thanks in advance for any and all assistance,
-Rob

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: G3 No oil return and wet sumping at the same time? [Re: Chopper Rob] #764721 02/07/19 2:38 am
Triless Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Possibly blockage in the crankcase / pump return gallery ! Also, check gasket integrity of the rear oil pump housing plate . Just a couple of thoughts !

Re: G3 No oil return and wet sumping at the same time? [Re: Triless] #764842 02/08/19 3:33 pm
C
Chopper Rob Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
Thanks! Gasket is good and plate is snug. Any advice best practices for checking blockages in these engines?

Thanks again,
Rob

Re: G3 No oil return and wet sumping at the same time? [Re: Chopper Rob] #764897 02/09/19 12:49 am
Triless Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Rob, I'm not familiar with the Lightweight G3, but with my Model X, and the Heavyweight singles, access to the oil return gallery is available on removal of sump drain plug.
Remove oil pump and probe with thin wire, or apply compressed air. Clean out pump housing and pipe unions. The only other things I can think of, although these would be obvious, are worn pump and housing, or badly scored housing !

Moderated by  Matchman62 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership